<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Questions on a Bill Davis PPC Revolver in .44 mag

May 27 2010 at 11:41 PM
No score for this post
olypenn22  (Login olypenn22)

My first post here, This sure looks like the right place for a my questions. Thanks

Shot a friends Bill Davis PPC revolver (.38 spl built on a S&W model 10) in the 1970's, knew about Bills PPC revolvers, always wanted one, but have always been more fan of S&W N frames. Have seen a couple Bill Davis S&W 28's in .357, thought that was what I was looking at when I found this S&W N frame pictured below.

Am looking for info on the below Bill Davis Custom PPC built on a S&W model 29 no dash (1959) .44 mag I just picked up, have posted questions elsewhere but no answers yet. does anyone have a idea of when this revolver was was built and its grade? also what kind of scope mount was it machined for? it is the first PPC style .44 mag I have seen. Were these common? Several have suggested it was built as a bowling pin revolver. Any thoughts on that?.

Revolver weights in at over 4 lbs empty, has a 6 inch long barrel and one inch round barrel, target hammer, trigger and grips, a fine trigger job, a upper astrocrat rail, a lower rail, a trigger overtravel screw, 7-25-50 yard selectable front sight. Hoping to shoot it this weekend.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Thanks again, olypenn22

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JP
(no login)

Re: Questions on a Bill Davis PPC Revolver in .44 mag

No score for this post
May 28 2010, 1:13 AM 

Your gun is a grade 3 round bbl.with 4 ounce davis accu-lock under bbl.(the system to lock cylinder to frame)was built in the mid to late 80's most likely. Most likely has an Apex bbl.Should have lead bullets fired through it as it is not designed for jacketed due to bore diameter,twist rate,and land and groove configuration. If it has any initials stamped on frame where you would normally find model number,post them on this sight and I can tell you who the gunsmith was that built it. Not all gunsmiths stamped the frames though,I was VP of operations and Bill's team mate til he closed in early 90's Bill is one of the best PPC shooters of all time and his guns some of the best ever. JP

olypenn22
(Login olypenn22)

No score for this post
May 28 2010, 6:09 AM 

JP,

Thank you, great info, saw Bill shoot in the mid 1970's, he was amazing.

Stamped in the crain is C.K.J.

Do you think the Astrocrats scope mount milling was by Davis or done later?.

Do you have any idea of what scope mounts would fit?

Would it be safe to shoot 44 mag out of the Revolver (if so how hot of a round) or should I stick to .44 spl?

Any idea of twist rate on the barrel?

Thanks again, olypenn22

JP
(no login)

No score for this post
May 30 2010, 1:54 PM 

The Gunsmith was Chad Jukes he Unfortunately passed away in the mid 80's not long after building your gun I suspect.He was a very good gunsmith and a good person as well.The bbl should have 10 lands and grooves and 1 in 14 twist.Should have lead bullets with a lower velocity shot through it.Don't think scope grooves were done at Bill Davis but look like they could accept Ruger Red hawk type of scope rings.JP

Thom Jukes
(no login)

Bill Davis Revolvers by Chad Jukes

No score for this post
January 12 2012, 2:56 PM 

Hello,
My name is Thom Jukes. I've been searching for a while and happened to find your post where you mentioned Chad Jukes. Chad was my father, he passed away in 1993, when i was 7 years old. I have been watching the internet for several years trying to find a revolver that he built. I've also been to many gun shows, but I think a good part of the revolvers reside in California, and my family lives in Utah. Reading this post gave me new excitement, unfortunately, this gun has already been traded at a gun show. If by chance you know of anyone who still has a revolver built by CKJ, or if you run across one someday, i'd love to hear from you. Thanks so much for your time and any help you can give me would be so much appreciated.
-Thom Jukes

lr45
(no login)

No score for this post
June 1 2010, 10:30 AM 

JP,
I too have a Bill Davis PPC gun. My gun has "G20" stamped on the crane. Any ideas as to gunsmith or year of manufacture. I bought the gun used in the 90's and it's still a good shooter.
I've worn out the rubberized trigger stop, but a super glued pencil eraser has worked okay for the last 7 or 8 years.

Thanks for any assistance. Larry.

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
June 2 2010, 12:26 AM 

Larry
I believe the gunsmith's name was Gene,I don't remember him using that stamping but at one point gunsmith's were paid on the guns they completed(late 80's)so this may be the case here.I have the adjustable trigger stops if you need one.If you want to post any pictures I would be happy to give you any input I can. JP

olypenn22
(no login)

No score for this post
June 9 2010, 3:46 AM 

JP,

Thank you for the info, Sorry to here the gunsmith passed, have lost way to many friends the last 10 years, and you are correct, Ruger rings fit the revolvers rail, in my research have yet to find a another reference to a Bill Davis PPC revolver in .44 mag, as .38spl and .357 mag guns seemed to dominated PPC shooting wonder how common the .44's were.?

Thanks again, olypenn22

JP
(no login)

No score for this post
June 10 2010, 12:00 AM 

Guns were built in 44 mag.41 mag.but I don't think anyone shot them in a ppc match they just liked the look of the gun.I believe we built a couple in 45 long colt and ACP too. There was a big push for a short time where we built PPC revolvers in 32cal.speed loaders were a problem as was ammo and they just never performed as well as a 38. Built them on Colt and S&W frames just never worked out,so if you ever see one of these you'll know the story. A lot of the special calibers went to England in the late 80's as did many 38 PPC guns and a couple 32 specials too. We had two Dealers in England in the late 80's selling Davis PPC and distinguished guns.You otta go into Heathrow (spelling?)Airport with PPC guns several hundred rounds of ammo and no gun permits to get in or out of England. Marc Cobb and I thought we would still be there on that one. JP

John
(no login)

Bill Davis Windmaster

No score for this post
June 16 2010, 10:20 PM 

JP,
A shooting buddy of mine has a Davis Windmaster and he needs a new barrel. Do you have any idea on where he can send it?

Thanks
John

Unregistered Member
(no login)

Re: Bill Davis Windmaster

No score for this post
June 17 2010, 12:59 AM 

I'm out of Windmaster bbl's at the moment but let me check with a shooter who had a new one and see if he has and will sell. When I find out I will post you here . JP

Jack Bender
(no login)

Bill Davis custom revolvers

No score for this post
June 20 2010, 4:15 PM 

Yep, I remember this endeavor. Was riding in one of the taxi vehicles with Bill going to the range at one of the Las Vegas Regionals(Dennis Cerruti-4 Queens)and he was telling me about working on developing the .32 round for PPC. Thought it might be a real accurate round for the competition. Be a good collectors piece if one shows up though. Too bad it didnt fly though.
Brings back good shooting times memories.

lr45
(no login)

Trigger stop

No score for this post
June 18 2010, 4:00 PM 

JP,
Let me know how to get in touch, I'd like to get the gun "restored" to orginal (even though the eraser works).
email me lr45@prodigy.net Thanks

Thom Jukes
(no login)

No score for this post
January 9 2012, 3:19 PM 

I came across this post and was thrilled to read it. Chad k Jukes is my father. I still have his CKJ stamp he gunsmithed with. He passed away in 1993 and was a gunsmith/machinist. I always love to see guns that he built and worked on. Just last night i was going through some of his old gunsmithing tools. If you are interested in selling the revolver, or ever will be, please let me know. I would love to have an opportunity to buy one of his guns. I hope the gun shoots great for you!

Jerry Eason
(no login)

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 12:09 AM 

Thom
In the late 70's and early 80,s we at Grass Valley PD ran a PPC match in Grass Valley.Bill Davis would bring all his employees to the match.Your DAD and other Davis Gunsmiths would also shoot the PPC match.They also shot in the team event and always did very well. We also had a Spouse's match which your Mom may have shot in? After all the shooting was over we had a big BBQ and volley ball game well into the night. Your Dad did a number of Gunsmithing jobs for me over the years,he was a very good Gunsmith,shooter and a very good man Jerry Eason

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement