<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1099-MISC from NRA re:NPSC

February 1 2011 at 2:47 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login KAC49)

Just received this tax form and I am little concerned. Total amount is over $6,000! Must be some very expensive lucite. By my estimate the merchandise I won retails, total, around $1,000 at the most. Some I had to send for and haven't received it yet. Has anyone asked for an itemization from NRA and received it? I called and left a message today and will report back as to what happens. I could see this as correct if I had won any guns, but no luck this year. If this is what I can expect I won't be going back to the NPSC. It's hard enough to put the money and vacation time together to go anyway.

KAC49

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(Login KAC49)

Re: 1099-MISC from NRA re:NPSC

No score for this post
February 1 2011, 7:24 PM 

OK, got an e-mail back from NRA. Interesting. I was told at the conclusion of the NPSC that I had not won any firearms. However, NRA shows that I won three rifle, none of which are legal for me to bring into California. Now I have to attempt to get NRA to remove these items from my 1099-MISC. Wish me luck.

KAC49

Unregistered Member
(Login KAC49)

Re: 1099-MISC from NRA re:NPSC

No score for this post
February 3 2011, 9:44 AM 

Well, as of this morning I have not heard anything from NRA about the rifles and the 1099. I sent an email to an NRA Director yesterday afternoon and he has forwarded my concerns/questions to Hoyer and Lipp, asking them to resolve this problem. As I hear more I will keep everyone here informed.

KAC49

Bob
(no login)

OMG

No score for this post
February 2 2011, 3:35 PM 

I missed the NPSC last year,but YOU have top be kidding,Guys on the team said they were getting taxed for firearms but FOR TROPHYS,and for items you didnt get or take, OH MY!!!!!!Im sorry andI know its not a laughing matter but a TYPICAL NRA NPSC SNAFU.If your are getting taxed from now on I wouldnt accept anything but maybe the overall trophy (not much of a chance there) otherwise they can keep it.Please let us know more on this situation, I can see this being a real problem for attendance, Goood luck Bob

Unregistered Member
(no login)

Re: OMG

No score for this post
February 2 2011, 3:39 PM 

Hey I would want to know ,WHO got my rifles,Ive always wondered where all the firearms went,Especially since the new MATRIX where you can only win one in each aggregrate OPEN/SERVICE/overall,Please keep us informed!

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
February 2 2011, 7:04 PM 

MAYBE YOUR RIFLES WENT WERE THE ONE I WAS TOLD I HAD WENT TO. I WAS TOLD I HAD WON A RIFLE AND WHEN I WENT TO PICK IT UP WITH MY FFL THEY (LIPP)STATED THERE WAS A MISTAKE AND DON'T GET ONE NOW.

Bob
(no login)

No score for this post
February 3 2011, 2:07 AM 

Well thats the shell game that has been played every year since the bait and switch the first year at Albuquerque. You remember no pre-match booklet telling the events or prizes listed for events like the past 15-20 years or longer. Then only after you paid your entry fee you were advised of the new MATRIX where you could only win 1 firearm in each aggregrate and you have no idea who wins what for what event,I remember the guy telling me hey a gun is a gun .Now, no one has any idea what they won for or where they placed in which event to win a gun. The dealer in Albuquerque told me several months after the 2009 NPSC he still had guns in his shop that werent listed to anyone,and guns with peoples names on them that never contacted him yet.Thats a great system. The old way was much easier but required more preparation on the NRA L/E peoples part.With this added tax system I could see alot of people questioning attendance. I mean you could win a certain gun that you cant give away for 250.00 and end up paying more in taxes because the jacked up retail price is 699.00.Thats not good I bknow certain guns I would turn down due to that fact. Anyway.....

Unregistered Member
(Login KAC49)

No score for this post
February 3 2011, 10:36 AM 

OK, just got an email from NRA. Lipp has given the person who sends out the 1099's an amended amount and I will be receiving a new 1099. At least I won't have the tax hit, but it makes me wonder. This could be the perfect way to avoid having to give out expensive awards. First - don't tell anyone what they have won. Second - be sure that competitors who live in states that don't allow certain firearms(CA, MA, etc.)are awarded firearms that they cannot possibly bring into that state. Third - wait until the competitor contacts NRA to let him/her know that they have won a firearm, which will probably be after the 1099's are sent out and after the 3 month time limit for picking up the firearm.

I was fine being told that I had not won a firearm at the conclusion of the NPSC. I figured that was just the way it was. Now that I find that the NRA has screwed me out of $5,245.00 worth of awards(their figures) I am more than a little p.o.'ed. I think that as long as the current group are running NRA LE Competitions I will save my money and not attend the NPSC. I truely believe they do not care about the competitors as is evidenced by their ongoing actions and decisions.

KAC49

Bob
(no login)

No score for this post
February 4 2011, 1:40 AM 

You know thats funny the last 2 firearms I won there were off list,luckily one was a certificate,which was good for one year,within that time, barely, the firearm made it onto the approved list and I was able to get it here,even with an LE exemption the manufacturer would not ship it till it was approved. The other I picked up the gun and sold it while in line to a guy from colorado,bet you cant do that now with the tax issues.But at least you could have had the option of selling them before they went to the ffl dealer there. I plan on contacting Lipp to see if the R-S aristocrat is still approved. On their PPC rules they list it as prohibited(dont know if this was left from last year or not)but I know Jim at aristocrat did a special run of these only because he had so many request after last years NPSC,Heck, 3 people called while I was there,so Im going to call and see how many he has sold and the see if I can talk the NRA folks into it so we can at least use the 5" guns for something. I dont see the big stink now that they have changed all the other rules.It is just an open adjustable sight like a Bomar,the term SERVICE type sight leaves alot of interpretation ,especially if you are allowing fiber optic sights,more of a visual aid especially in the close fast phases.We will see.

Unregistered Member
(Login KAC49)

No score for this post
February 4 2011, 9:55 AM 

I would have been happy to have had the opportunity to try to sell the firearms while in Albuquerque, although I doubt anyone would have had the money for them. Tough to do that though when they won't tell you what you have won until months after the NPSC.

As for the RS-45 sight on the 5" PPC9's, the ruling against them was on NRA's LE Competitions web site prior to the Nationals and the referees chose to allow them. I agree, the only difference between that sight and a Bo-Mar style is it is designed to fit the cut fot the Tri-Set sight. There is no legitimate reason to disqualify them, especially since it allows competitors to use a firearm that the rules committee has made pretty worthless otherwise.

KAC49

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
February 6 2011, 5:55 PM 

We didn't have all these problems when Patty Zollman organized the NPSC she always took care of the competitor. You always knew what would be awarded for a match before you ever went to NPSC.We need people who will look out for the competitors first, as Patty always did. This continual rule change issue has driven away more current shooters by far than it has brought in. If a shooter wins a match that awards a firearm he should win it period,this redistribution of wealth has no place aT NPSC,or in America for that matter.Lets get back to a true National Championship that we all can be proud of. jp

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement