<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Sights will not allow a 25yd neck hold

October 4 2011 at 10:48 PM
No score for this post
Mike  (Login mlane300)

I cannot seem to get my factory S&W rear sight to lower enough for a 25 yard neck hold. One friend told me that I'd have to file down the notch. Is this true?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(no login)

Re: Sights will not allow a 25yd neck hold

No score for this post
October 5 2011, 8:36 AM 

You will need a taller front sight. Or a rear sight that is lower than the one you have now.

KAC49

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
October 5 2011, 1:53 PM 

Careful with filing on the rear sight - PPC rules allow NO external modifications unless specifically allowed (having said that, not sure how it would ever be found out !!) S&W does sell a .278" front sight that might work and this is the highest Patridge front sight that they currently sell. I just went through this same conversation with S&W about 2 weeks ago. Good luck, ken

Larry Malin
(no login)

Patridge Sights For S&W

No score for this post
January 14 2012, 5:32 AM 

I have made patridge sights for the pinned in S&W revolvers and the rules do not allow for a front sight height taller than .375" as that was the tallest S&W made. I was able to get a 4" and 6" 686 to adjust to 50 and 25 yard neck hold by using a .278 like Ken mentioned on the 4". On the 6" I believe I used a .320 front and a .160" rear. (.290" seems to work well for most folks on the 6" 686/586 guns with the .160" rear) I start by bottoming out the rear sight and filing (front) to zero for 25 yard neck hold then all other adjustments will be UP. For a 7 yard zero I have to hold the bottom of the 9 in the 9 ring with the rear sight bottomed out (set for 25 yard zero)This is with my load and changing brands of ammo can affect this so once the gun is zeroed for that ammo then stick with it. Of course if you can't file straight then the refs will question the "external modification". I can make the patridge sight to any height up to the .375" max. I am VERY BUSY in the shop so this can take a while for me to get to but IF there is enough interest I'll do a run of S&W patridge sights on the mill to make available to the fraternity. You'll be looking at around 25.00 + shipping if demand warrants this. This sight will have to be drilled just like the factory sights. The rules say as factory so as long as the style is the same then it is within the restrictions of the rule book. If anyone is interested let me know, but don't expect one to be made overnight. Just remember if you shorten the front sight it RAISES the point of impact. Shorten the REAR sight you LOWER the point of impact.

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
October 5 2011, 3:42 PM 

I have several S&W PATRIDGE FS THEY VERY IN HEIGHT BETWEEN .320&.338 S&W part # is 04051 this is a number from a few years back and that is the last 5 numbers on the bag I received from S&W I think there are 4 zeros before the 04051.They also have some old guns that they are bringing back as limited production guns.I saw a gun recently that had a sight that was at least .330 or more but I don't remember the model number.You just need to find someone at S&W that will look for you,or try the custom shop. Their not always in a current catalog. Be careful however as I haven't found a combination of sights that will get a neck hold at 25&50 yds. The ramps on all S&W revolvers are different heights.If you find one tall enough to get a neck hold at 25 it is about to unscrew from the sturrup nut when adjusted for 50 yds and will pop out after a few shots. GOOD LUCK JP EASON

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
October 18 2011, 3:45 PM 

I had that happen to me at the nationals years ago.As I was adjusting the sights for the "quick six" at the 25 yard line in the Distinguished match,the rear sight came unscrewed.I couldn't get it back together on the line quick enough so i just held low and shot.It sounded like a jew's harp "TWANGGG" every shot and of course the shots were 7's and zeros.

JB
(no login)

SIGHTS WILL NOT ALLOW A 25 YD NECK HOLD

No score for this post
October 5 2011, 10:37 PM 

I dont know if this will help you or not, but here is the combination I have on my 586 that will neck shoot at 25yds and 50.Only problem I do have is, to shoot point of aim have to move the rear sight almost to the point of coming off the nut(about 5 full turns)
My front sight is .225 and rear sight is .115.
Hope this gives you some help.
JB

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement