<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

New to PPC, looking at doing an "International Match" so to say

November 25 2014 at 10:50 AM
No score for this post
Ben  (Login bb535)

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to PPC. I have not fired an actual match however I do an abbreviated 30 shot course as part of a police bullseye league I am in. I am an outdoor(and indoor) competitive bullseye shooter and that has pretty much taken over my life! As many of you may or may not know, next year the World Police and Fire Games will be held in Fairfax VA. It initially was going to have a centerfire event which is similar to bullseye, however, that was removed and all that is left is PPC and an action pistol event. Due to the Games convenient location to where my sister lives, me being in WI, I thought why not do it! I am looking at doing every PPC event possible, as they list open semi and revolver as well as distinguished semi and revolver.

I currently have a Les Baer Wadcutter with a slide rail mount for bullseye. I have a RRA bullseye compo mount that I can attach with allows for iron sight shooting, which I believe will be ok for the Open Semi Auto?. I also picked up, just because it looked cool, a 686 that is set up for ppc, with under-lug weight, bobbed double action only hammer, and aristocrat sight rib; which will cover the open revolver class. I have a model 14 for the distinguished revolver, which is distinguished for bullseye, but not sure for PPC, is there a barrel length req? Lastly, I have a Clark Custom 1911(Colt) HArdball, which I am not sure if it is legal for the distinguished match. The confusing part is the World Police and Fire Games(WPFG) rules state "distinguished" but it sounds more like "stock" division, explaining that the only modification can be grips. From what I understand, distinguished per NRA, you can have new added on sights. Based on the NRA version, would my Clark 1911 qualify as it had a front sight welded on and a bomar rear sight placed in the GI sight slot. It is CMP legal for distinguished (Bullseye) pistol matches.

Lastly, as this is a big event, there is an excuse to purchase a new gun for it! Due to this match being my first and maybe last PPC match, since there are none around here, it doesn't make sense for me to build or have built a special PPC semi auto. However, seeing as that 9mm is popular in the PPC domain, I was thinking that I could use one. In the bullseye world, the .45 reigns supreme. My thought is to jazz up a 9mm 1911 for this ppc match, and then recycle it to the bullseye field for the centerfire portion of 2700's. A question that I cannot find an answer to is, is the hole pattern for a 5" 1911 Aristocrat triset rib match the hole pattern for a BO MAR sight rib. The reason why I ask is because after it would serve its duty as a PPC gun, I would put a scope rail on in to mount a red dot for bullseye matches. For some reason I am set on using those tri set sights as it appears to be very convenient for the 25 and 50 yard lines. From what I gathered, using the tri set sights, it is common place to have a neck hold when shooting 25 and 50, which should be pre set in the sights. What are the hold positions/procedure when shooting a normal target rear sight that only goes up/down and left and right?

I know that was a lot to read and answer so I will boil it down to these question to please answer:

1) Will the Clark Hardball 1911 be "legal" for distinguished
2) Is the 6" model 14 legal for Distinguished
3) Will the Aristocrat tri set rib line up with bo mar holes to later fit a scope mount
4) What are the hold point/procedures for traditional target rear sights
5) Is anyone else going?

Thank you for your time.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: New to PPC, looking at doing an "International Match" so to say

No score for this post
November 26 2014, 5:25 PM 

Looks good to me so far

james r chapman
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: New to PPC, looking at doing an &quot;International Match&quot; so to say

No score for this post
November 26 2014, 5:41 PM 

What are the hold positions/procedure when shooting a normal target rear sight that only goes up/down and left and right?

on a standard BoMar rear sighted rib, I've used 25 center hold and 50 neck hold. about 61 clicks up from base for 25 and then down 21 for 50.

JB
(Login x-cop)

New to PPC

No score for this post
November 26 2014, 9:02 PM 

My suggestion, put memory marks on the sights(elevation and windage both-use white paint)and count turns or half turns instead of clicks, faster. With windage clicks will work fine to fine tune and adjust for lighting conditions. Or get the Tri-set rib for your open guns.
If you can see well enough shoot center mass at 25 yards, get a center hole at your close distance and shoot for it, more Xs usually this way. If you are like me and cant see any more, use neck hold for 25 and 50(or center of head)Experiment and see what works best for you.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement