<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Targetmaster 9mm or 45

December 28 2014 at 11:33 PM
No score for this post
Ben  (Login bb535)

Hello again,

I have pretty much decided that I would like to have a STI Targetmaster for an upcoming match this summer. I am not thinking rationally by buying a gun for one to two matches, however; I want to make sure that I am not hindered by me or equipment. I could futz around with turning a dial on a Bomar style target rear, but I like the idea of the three position sights of the aristocrat. In addition the event is a 1500 semi and 600 distinguished, seeing as that this gun is good to go for both, I only have to bring one gun. I am having a hard time deciding which targetmaster to go with and here is my reasoning

9mm,
Pros
-Dont have a 1911 in 9mm (biggest reason for getting one)
-9mm seems to be the thing for PPC autos
-Can be more accurate with high end ammo
-Am thinking of getting an additional slide and barrel to put a dot on for the centerfire portion of Bullseye (serving double duty)
Cons
-I cant find any powder for 9mm. Have plenty of Bullseye and WST, but no good for 9mm
-Would prefer to shoot lead, but lead and 9mm don't go together too well

45acp,
Pros
-I have Plenty of powder and access to lead (biggest reason for getting one)
-shoots lead well
-I am very familiar with loading for 45 (second biggest reason for getting one)
Cons
-I already have several 45 1911s
-I dont know of any accuracy differences between the 45 and 9 in the Target master

I know that no one can shoot as well as a ransom rest, but I have not found any data/info on out of the box Targetmasters and their 50 yard rested accuracy with either hand loaded or factory ammo. Again, being from the bullseye world, 45 is supreme, so I am not sure why 9mm is a PPC thing for semi, please advise.

Of those who have or have had one, what are/were your impressions and results. What are any other pros/cons for 9mm vs.45. I know I am over analyzing.

BB

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Targetmaster 9mm

No score for this post
December 29 2014, 3:05 PM 

Ben,
I "might" be selling a 9MM Targetmaster with 7 mags in the near future if you decide to get one. You can email me thru this site if you are interested.
jbcustom-leather@att.net

mopper
(Login mopper72)

Re: Targetmaster 9mm or 45

No score for this post
January 1 2015, 3:28 AM 

Hi

In Europe many shooters go for 9mm because brass is very expensive!
We do not have the time between the matches to pick up all the brass and so we leave it on the range.
Its better to loose cheap 9mm than expensive 45.

But you are right, 9mm handloads with lead are not easy to create.

Unregistered Member
(Login JIMPGOV)

No score for this post
January 1 2015, 5:10 PM 

BB; FIRST I WOULDN'T GET A TARGET MASTER IN EITHER CALIBER IF YOU PLAN TO COMPETE ON THE NATIONAL LEVEL. YES THEY'RE ONLY $1600 BUT TO GET THEM TO SHOOT WELL ENOUGH YOU'LL HAVE TO DUMP A BUNCH OF MONEY INTO IT.. BETTER TO SPEND THE MONEY ONCE AND HAVE THE BEST AND NEVER HAVE TO WORRY IF IT'S HOLDING YOU BACK. THE TARGET MASTER'S I HAVE SEEN AND TRIED COULD HARDLY HOLD 10 RING AT 50YDS

NOW AS FOR 9MM VS.45. BEFORE THE RULES WERE CHANGED (IN REGARDS TO AMMO) THE 9MM HAD AN ADVANTAGE OF LOWER RECOIL FOR THE DISTINGUISHED GUN. NOW THE OPEN AND DISTINGUISHED ARE THE SAME GUN. NOW AMMO RESTRICTIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED ALLOWING .45 AMMO NOW LONGER HAS TO BE FACTORY LOADED. SO 45 MATCH SEMIWADCUTTER AMMO HAS ABOUT THE SAME RECOIL AS 9MM . .45 HAS LARGER HOLES, 9MM SHOTS THAT WERE CLOSE BUT NO CIGAR ARE NOW CUTTING THE LINE FOR THE HIGHER SCORE WITH THE .45.

I FEEL YOU HAVE A DISTINCT ADVANTAGE STARTING NOW .
1 GUN INSTEAD OF 2. (YOU ALREADY HAVE YOUR DUTY GUN)
AMMO RESTRICTIONS RELAXED, RELOADED AMMO ALLOWED
YOU ALREADY ARE AN EXPERIENCED .45 LOADER (.45 FOR 50 RD X-RING ACCURACY IS EASY EVEN WITH USED BRASS) YOU CAN LOAD 50YD ACCURATE AMMO FOR $150 PER 1000 WITH YOUR OWN BRASS
9MM LOADING IS A BIT TRICKY (FACTORY NEW BASS A MUST FOR 50YD ACCURACY)BULLET AND POWDER FINICKY $340 A 1000 FOR 50YD ACCURATE AMMO
I OWN A 5" (OLD DISTINGUISHED AUTO'S) AND 6" IN BOTH CALIBERS. WITH THE CHANGE IN AMMO THE 9MM'S ARE NOW ON THE SHELF.

JUST A FEW THINGS FOR YOU TO CONSIDER

WHAT GUN TO GET?
ROCK RIVER ARMS, WATCH THE WEB SITE. SHOULD ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOM 1911'S ON 20JAN15

JB
(Login x-cop)

Targetmaster 9mm

No score for this post
January 25 2015, 5:08 PM 

I would have definitely agreed with this posters thoughts on the Targetmaster up until one week ago. I was having the problems he described. I contacted STI customer service and they handled my complaints great. I had to send it back twice, but now it will hold X-ring at 50 yards with several different loads Atlanta Arms being one of them. They did replace the slide and bbl to get it to perform, with no charge whatsoever to me. They stood behind their lifetime warranty and did whatever it took to make the gun right. Cant complain about this kind of service. I don't know what their problems are, but I keep hearing the bbls they use, who knows? The customer service person Randy Tomlinson was great to work with.
I know, you only want to pay for a competition gun one time without going thru the time and effort to get it right, but give credit where credit is due.
This Is my two cents.
Be safe.

Tampa Leo
(Login TampaLeo)

No score for this post
February 1 2015, 11:36 AM 

I have a sti target master 9mm for sale that had been accurized by Springfield custom shop and has a nowlin match barrel. I did put a full rib sight on the gun and made it an open gun. A tri set can still be put on the gun to make it a distinguished gun again.

Let me know at climing2@yahoo.com

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement