<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Trigger pull weight change?

August 31 2015 at 1:45 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Lane579)

I have a Les Baer Premier II that I've used for the stock service, open, and distinguished last couple of years. Recently I borrowed an NRA trigger weight set from a guy in the office to check a couple revolver triggers. Just for fun I weighed the PII and found that I couldn't lift the 3.5# I would need to. So now I'm a little worried. I know last year at NPSC it was weighed and everything was good. There's been no tinkering on my part. So my question is this: Am I using the weights wrong? Or, would the trigger pull lighten up by as much as 3/4 of a pound? (I'm just going off what LB says, being that the PII comes with a 4# trigger.)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Trigger pull weight change

No score for this post
August 31 2015, 7:14 PM 

You don't have to "tinker" with the action mechanism on any gun for the pull to change. Tne "new" gun I am sure came with a 4 lbs pull. The sear, hammer hooks with use will wear and angles change with use. The main spring can loose some tension with use, the sear spring can loose some tension, any number of things can take place. You hear people complain about heavy trigger pulls and roughness on new stock guns, and the well meaning advice, shoot it a while and it will break in and smooth out and lighten up. To a point this will happen. Your gun already tuned to 4 lbs so it is very possible one of, or all things took place causing a lighter pull. Just my opinion.
if you can get your hands on another set of weights or have someone else check and weigh the trigger, preferably the dept. armorer. Where you position the trigger on the bar can effect what it will pick up or not pick up in some cases.
Hope this is of some help.
Stay safe.

Lane579
(Login Lane579)

Re: Trigger pull weight change

No score for this post
September 1 2015, 2:24 PM 

Thanks JB,
Yeah I figured it was due to normal wear, I guess I was just surprised it could be that much in two years and I was curious if anyone else experienced this with the PII. I increased the sear spring tension to get me back between 3.5 and 4.0 so all's well!

JB
(Login x-cop)

Trigger pull

No score for this post
September 1 2015, 2:48 PM 

Sounds like you got it cured. Lot of times something simple will correct a problem. As long as the trigger stays crisp and no creep all is good.
Two years is relative to how much you shoot the gun as far as a change happening. Light loads opposed to heavy loads. Weight of recoil spring in relation to your loads. Many things can enter into the picture.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement