<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

STI 9mm bbls

March 19 2016 at 12:55 PM
No score for this post
JB  (Login x-cop)

Anyone out here happen to know what bbl is used in the STI Targetmaster or any of their 9mm. STI wont divulge the maker. Just about everyone I have talked to has told me to get rid of the factory bbl and replace with an after market. I sent the mine back due to poor accuracy and they replaced it with another factory bbl(along with another slide) that did help quite a bit. Just curious. You would think a $1700 gun would not need this.
Out of a Ransom Rest @ 50yds lucky to get 5-6 inch bunch, not a group.BBL in it now seems to favor the 147 jhp.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Moose
(Login TampaLeo)

Re: STI 9mm bbls

No score for this post
March 21 2016, 8:33 AM 

No one knows. I had one and the accuracy and had Springfield custom put in a new 1\16 twist. It was a Nowlin and it was shooting a 2 inch group at 50. They also accurized the slide. Now a buddy of mine boiufggt one and his is accurate right out of the box. He shoots a good 2 inch group. Sti still warranties the gun so sending it back till they have it right is your option. I spent almost 1,000 in getting custom work done.

Good luck

JB
(Login x-cop)

STI 9mm bbls

No score for this post
March 21 2016, 11:11 AM 

Their customer service was great and no complaints here. With all the bad "stuff" that was floating around out there for some time, you would think they would have come up with the solution. Mechanically the gun seems to lock up tight with no obvious slop, so I would have to come back to the bbl and twist. I would like to try a bbl with a 1:32 twist in it, but don't want to invest too much more into it considering my shooting competition days are just about over. Still relish having an accurate gun to play with.

Shame you had to spend that much money on a gun that was supposed to shoot that good initially.
Have one guy here locally that has a lower end Trojan that will outshoot my Targetmaster. Go figure.

Just put an Apex Tactical bbl in my M&P9, not the gunsmith bbl, but semi drop in. Their claim is the gunsmith version will shoot as tight as a high end 1911. Any confirmation on this claim? Their claim is sub one inch at 25 yds and 1 1/2" at 50 from a Ransom rest. Sure would beat the STI "if" true.

I don't have an insert for the M&P, but will see what happens this week off a bench rest and off hand.

Moose
(Login TampaLeo)

Re: STI 9mm bbls

No score for this post
March 22 2016, 8:28 PM 

I agree. I hated speeding that much but it was less than a custom build by at least 1500.00. Sti said the twist is a 1/16 twist. If shoots the 115gr Atlanta arms ammo great. It hates 124 gr. The one I put in is a Nowlin 1/16 twist not a gain twist. It's shoots a 2 inch group. The guy who bought it off me shoots it better than I did. Go figure.

Keep doing your testing and if your testing loads it can definitely be your load if your not shooting a match round.

Good luck

JB
(Login x-cop)

STI BBL- Apex Tactical grade Semi drop in

No score for this post
March 22 2016, 9:50 PM 

Well, got out with the new addition to my M&P and it functioned 100% with everything we gave it, factory and reloads. At 25 yards getting about 3" and occasional flyers. At 50 keeping everything in 9-10-X ring with a 4.25" bbl. Not too bad for an old man with bad eyes. Cant say it shot like a high end 1911 though, but definitely saw improvement over the factory bbl. Not finished yet and going to do some more. 1:10 twist, seemed to like the HNDY XTP 115 grain bullets a lot with 5.5 grains of Vit 3N37 powder. Installing changed point of impact from old sight setting. Gunsmith version installed by a competent smitty might even do better. There is a 5" version of this bbl too. Should be great for IDPA, service, stock, match.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement