<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Questions regarding Bill Davis revolver

April 13 2016 at 10:36 PM
No score for this post
Dave Fitzgerald  (Login dfitz)

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear of Mr. Davis' passing.

I found this pistol in a local shop and the sales guy thought the work was done by a local smith even though the barrel is marked Bill Davis Custom.

I would like to have a true Bill Davis gun where the work was done in his shop. Could you guys please take a look at this gun and let me know if it looks like a real Bill Davis gun.

Also, I prefer iron sights. Would it be fairly simple and not a huge expense to have the traditional rib installed with the adjustable front sight?

The finish is parkerized or something similar.

Thank you,
Dave

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3135.JPG

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Your revolver

No score for this post
April 15 2016, 8:08 AM 

Since no one has responded I will tell you what I know. What you have is probably a bullseye gun built to accept a red dot sight. They are allowed in bullseye but not ppc. Apparently Bill Davis manufactures barrels and sold them to anyone. They are accurate barrels so I am not surprised to se one on a bullseye gun. So probably a local smith built your gun up for bullseye with a Bill Davis barrel. It looks like you could bet a ppc type rib sight on your gun. I recently had my rib sight changed out for the latest style by a local smith for $190 including the cost of the sight FYI.

JPE
(Login JPE0392)

DAVIS GUN

No score for this post
April 15 2016, 10:54 AM 

Gun may have been a PPC gun that someone milled the side,although it could have been done at our shop at Bill Davis as well. Trigger stop is one we started putting in some guns in the late 80's or early 90's so likely a Davis gun. If you look on the front of the frame with your cylinder and yoke open you may see initials stamped there. Several of our gunsmiths stamped their initials there as they were paid on completed guns. If so I may be able to assist with gunsmith I.D. If done at Bill Davis it likely will be drilled and tapped for both front and rear adjustable Aristocrat Products sight ribs. The Bill Davis front adjustable rib however was discontinued a couple years ago. The rear adjust is available however and should bolt right on if built at Bill Davis Service Center. Let me know if I can help. JPE

Dave Fitzgerald
(Login dfitz)

Thanks for the replies.

No score for this post
April 16 2016, 4:59 AM 

I appreciate the replies very much.

Last weekend a range officer brought in his Bill Davis PPC gun to the range at Koko Head (Honolulu) and it blew me away. It was perfect in every way. The balance, the sight picture, the trigger...wow. I offered to buy it but he said he won too many matches with it to sell.

Anyway, I'm going to pass on this particular gun in the photos.

I'm going to hit Phil up again to sell me his. I'll pay him whatever he wants and even bring ammo for him. He can shoot it, I'll clean it. Better than having it in the safe happy.gif

Thanks again,
Dave

Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Thanks for the replies.

No score for this post
April 17 2016, 2:53 PM 

I don't think it was original as a Bullseye gun. If it were, I'd think they'd have left the S.A capabilities in place. Anyway, I believe Davis built ribbed guns had the rib milled into the barrel? At least I believe the windmaster did.

Aristocrat lower rib with detent. wonder if it also has the ball detent?

JB
(Login x-cop)

Bill Davis Gun

No score for this post
April 17 2016, 4:15 PM 

Jim,
If I recall correctly all Bill's PPC guns did not have the integral rib set into the bbl until he came out with the Windmaster post Nationals in Des Moines. This could very well be a Davis comp. gun set up for maybe action matches. With the bobbed hammer and trigger stop don't think it was a bulls eye gun. The yoke lock underlug(no ball detent I can recall) and adjustable trigger stop were some of his keynote features. His original rib made for him(I believe)by Aristocrat Sight Co. was the front adjustable model for the three sight settings.B0-Mars were the mainstay till then. I remember(JPE correct me if wrong)his guns came out right at time or right after Nationals came to Pearl Mississippi, from Bloomington Indiana(attended but did not shoot unfortunately). I know for sure they were at first Nationals I shot in at Jackson and in high demand. Austin Behlert showed up with some neat innovations along with Jim Clark Sr.

moose
(Login TampaLeo)

Re: Questions regarding Bill Davis revolver

No score for this post
April 17 2016, 4:50 PM 

It looks like it was used for Action Pistol. The slot on the top just in front of the cylinder was possibly used for barricade wings and the rear has the picatinny due to the sight was mounted back there. That's what it looks like. John Pride used Bill Davis guns all the time so he might be able to weigh in if anyone knows his email.

Dave Fitzgerald
(Login dfitz)

No score for this post
April 19 2016, 11:49 AM 

Thanks for the reply Moose. However, I'm going to pass on the gun. It's not the most attractive with the finish and I think can do better if I am patient.
Take care,
Dave

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
April 20 2016, 7:11 PM 

Yes, it does look like it was setup for a "games" gun.

Dave Fitzgerald
(Login dfitz)

Success

No score for this post
April 30 2016, 4:37 AM 

Hi guys,

Phil agreed to sell me his revolver and I paid his asking price.

I met Phil a few years ago shooting small bore silhouette. I think he retired with the sheriff's department. One day I brought a 22 pistol to the silhouette match. He was probably 75 at the time and was kicking butt. He impressed the hell out of me. At the time I didn't know he had won a bunch of state championship pistol matches out here in Hawaii. Super nice guy.

Here's the gun. It was a model 15 snub nose that he didn't have a use for and sent it in to Mr. Davis.

IMG_3157.JPG

IMG_3159.JPG

IMG_3160.JPG

He let me test fire it at 50 yards with some factory Federal HBWC he had stashed. I put it on sand bags and it delivered. I shot 2 groups with his factory loads and 2 groups with my hand loads.

IMG_2590.JPG

I tried my Speer and Hornady HBWC in 3.1 HP38. Sorry, the Remington's are too messy.

IMG_2589.JPG

I started the registration today and won't have it in my hands again for another two weeks. I'm excited to have a piece of history that will continue to be used, admired and enjoyed.

Dave

JPE
(Login JPE0392)

DAVIS GRADE 3

No score for this post
April 30 2016, 6:58 PM 

Very nice Davis slab side grade 3 likely built in the late 80's from what I can see. Just be careful with the sights as front adjustable ribs and parts are discontinued. JPE

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: DAVIS GRADE 3

No score for this post
April 30 2016, 10:11 PM 

try cleaning the remingtons in a degreaser. The secret to the remingtons is there oversize skirt, (.360) which dramatically seals the bullet to the cylinder throat and barrel.

Nothing shoots as tight as the remingtons.
that being said, since they are unobtainium, I'd suggest getting some Precision Delta 148 hbwc's . They are basically the old famous Star bullet that punched a lot of x's.

your 3.1 load of HP38 (ww231 is the same powder) is an established standard. You might also try 2.7 gr of WST.

Jim

Dave Fitzgerald
(Login dfitz)

Thanks for the input

No score for this post
May 3 2016, 2:09 AM 

Thanks JPE and James.

Yes, it was from sometime in the 80's. Once registration is complete I'd like to see if you can tell me a little more about the gun...such as the gunsmith.

James, thanks for suggesting the Precision Deltas. I ordered 100 with the match lube. The have excellent prices on the loaded HBWCs if you consider the cost of brass from Starline. I might order a case of 1000 for a trip I'm taking to the mainland in a month.

Unfortunately I have not been able to locate WST out here. I have a good supply of Titegroup and HP38.

Take care,
Dave

Unregistered Member
(Login x-cop)

Powder supply

No score for this post
May 3 2016, 9:42 AM 

"If" you can get it, 700-X or Red Dot is another good choice for target loads, if you cant get the WST. Just a suggestion. You also may want to try the PD with the conventional lube in lieu of the match lube.
Watch your loads with the Titegroup as it seems to be more pressure sensitive and might cause some leading. Try 2.5 for those bullets.

Black Talon
(Login Black_Talon)

No score for this post
May 17 2016, 8:26 PM 

[quote]try cleaning the remingtons in a degreaser[/quote]

Can you be more specific? What is a degreaser? Do you need to re-lube them with something after this degreasing process?

Thanks!

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
May 18 2016, 8:29 PM 

mineral spirits..

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement