<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Old Guy New member question

June 7 2016 at 1:21 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login SOUTHERNGUNNER)

Hey everyone, I am interested in picking up a PPC revolver just because I have wanted one for 20 plus years , I have no intention of competing or formal matches . I have been a reloader, revolver and 1911 shooter for 45 plus years.
My question is there a disadvantage to having a Model 66 that has been converted since the cylinder is chambered for 357 mags I know that 38 specials will function fine in that gun as I have several 357s that I only shoot 38 specials in with great results. Or should I look for a k frame in just 38.
I may have a line on a model 66 with a slab barrel and Wichita sight rib that appears to be in good shape that would be in the 6 to 7 hundred dollar range, I do not know who did the conversion and it is out of state so I will not be able to personally inspect it before purchase.
Any opinions or replies would be appreciated.
Terry

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JPE
(Login JPEASON)

Re: Old Guy New member question

No score for this post
June 7 2016, 6:05 PM 

Many ,many tests over 40 years have proven there is no advantage between a 38 or a 357 cylinder or gun. Either will prove accurate if the rest of the gun is done correctly, and good ammo is used in it. The Ransom rest doesn't lie. So buy the best low mileage blue or stainless 38 or 357 you can find and enjoy. JPE

Unregistered Member
(Login SOUTHERNGUNNER)

Re: Old Guy New member question

No score for this post
June 8 2016, 12:39 PM 

Thanks for reinforcing my concerns. Now my biggest problem is finding a gun for sale in my area. I will probably have to buy online and have a local dealer do the transfer for me.

Unregistered Member
(Login x-cop)

PPC Revolver

No score for this post
June 8 2016, 2:21 PM 

Just a suggestion, find a model 10,15,64,65, or?? maybe an L frame or even an N frame or similar gun that has not been abused, buy a bull bbl from Brownell or bbl. blank, take to a decent machinist for install and purchase an Aristocrat rib and mount on top. This in case you cant or don't find something already built. Just another option since you don't intend to compete or do some formal shooting . Put it together per you own specs or design. That way you have a real custom gun and self satisfaction. Try to stay with a 1:14 twist if you can.
Watch this site, one shows up now and then for decent price.

Unregistered Member
(Login SOUTHERNGUNNER)

Re: PPC Revolver

No score for this post
June 8 2016, 6:10 PM 

That is a great option as well, I already own a M19 that I could have a conversion done on. My problem is I have lived in Lake Havasu Az for 15 years and I really don 't know of any smiths that I would trust for the conversion. Mr Frank Glenn's shop is in the Pheonix area but that is 3 hours and 180 plus miles away. I may end up going that direction if my internet quest doesn't pay off soon .

Unregistered Member
(Login ex95b20)

Re: PPC Revolver

No score for this post
June 9 2016, 11:32 AM 

Frank is great to work with if you go that route. If you have or purchase a base revolver you can mail the pistol to him for modification. You don't have to travel the 3 hours. Check out his website he has a price list for the PPC modification.

Unregistered Member
(Login SOUTHERNGUNNER)

The search for the first one is over

No score for this post
June 10 2016, 10:39 PM 

By some time next week I will be the proud owner of my first PPC revolver. I won the bid online and was able to purchase S&W 66-3 with a 6" slab barrel and Wichita sight for $610.00 plus shipping ,I hope it is as good as it looked online. I have no idea who the gunsmith was that did the conversion but when it gets here I will post some pics of my latest acquisition. Thanks to all who took the time to respond.
Regards ,Terry

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement