<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PPC9 barrel rumor

July 27 2016 at 3:03 PM
No score for this post
BradJH  (Login BradJH)

I've heard some rumors regarding the PPC9 guns. A guy is saying "lots" of guys had to send back the barrels from wearing out early?????? Both 6 & 5 inch guns.

Any truth to this???? Both of mine still shoot fine and I've got a lot of rounds down range with them.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Moose
(Login TampaLeo)

Re: PPC9 barrel rumor

No score for this post
July 29 2016, 9:24 AM 

I'm sure it's different for every barrel. The proof is in the pudding. If yours is still shooting good then i bet you have a good barrel. I've heard the same thing about schuemann barrel.

Unregistered Member
(Login BradJH)

No score for this post
August 1 2016, 11:07 AM 

My guns are working just fine. We have a local gun board and a fellow was saying he has heard of "many" PPC9 pistols have barrel failure, whatever that meant, and the guns/barrels had to be returned to S&W.

I'm calling BS, but thought I would check here to see if anyone has heard of any gun or barrel needing to be returned to S&W????

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

PPC9 returned

No score for this post
August 2 2016, 1:54 PM 

Last year at NPSC I met a shooter from a Sheriff's office. The office had a PPC9 that was returned to S&W for some repair. S&W said they did not have the part so they sent them a new 1911 Pro as replacement. I have not heard of any other guns having problems esp barrels. So I call BS. I had a ppc9 with no problems.

Unregistered Member
(Login JIMPGOV)

No score for this post
August 6 2016, 10:36 AM 

YES EVEN THE S&W PPC 9'S NEED WORK EVERY NOW AND THAN. MINE AFTER ABOUT 15K ROUNDS THE GROUP OPENED UP GREATLY. I SENT IT BACK TO THE PC. JOHN SEYFERT CALLED ME AND FOUND THE FOLLOWING THE "TIN" BUSHING WAS WORN OUT. THEY POLISHED THE EXTERIOR OF THE BARREL, INSTALLED A NEW "TIN" BUSHING OF THE PROPER SIZE AND SENT IT BACK. I THAN RANSOM REST TESTED IT AT 50 YDS AND EVERYTHING WAS IN THE X-RING. THAT LITTLE AMOUNT OF WORK SHRUNK THE GROUP BY OVER HALF.

P.S. I HAVE THE RANSOM REST INSERTS FOR SALE IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED. JP

Unregistered Member
(Login BradJH)

No score for this post
August 8 2016, 4:02 PM 

Are you speaking of the Briley type bushing at the muzzle? If so, mine is what appears to be brass.

I understand every gun type in the world may require work at some time, but this fellow was trying to sound like this was an epidemic of issues with the PPC9.

Unregistered Member
(Login JIMPGOV)

No score for this post
August 9 2016, 8:14 AM 

YES THE BRILEY BUSHING WHICH APPEARS BRASS. IT'S NOT BRASS BUT IT'S STEEL BUT COATED WITH "TIN"(TITANIUM NITRIDE). I COULD BE STARTING TO BE THAT TYPE OF ISSUE. CONSIDERING WHEN THE PPC9'S BEGAN PRODUCTION AND THE HIGH VOLUME OF ROUNDS THE AVERAGE PPC SHOOTER FIRES. IT COULD BE BECOMING AN EPIDEMIC. THINGS WEAR OUT WITH TIME AND USAGE. NO SUPPLY OF REPAIR PARTS. JP

Hatman1793
(Login Hatman1793)

Not BS

No score for this post
November 14 2016, 7:11 PM 

It's true! The PPC 9 barrels wore out prematurely necessitating replacement. Lots of these barrels couldn't hold the 10 ring at 50 yards after 2000 rounds. I suspect the stainless steel was "soft."
I know of two Master shooters who abandoned their PPC9 9mm autos due to premature barrel wear-out.
Some turned to the superlative STI TargetMaster...

JB
(Login x-cop)

Not BS

No score for this post
November 14 2016, 8:24 PM 

I have a "Superlative" STI Target master that was a piece of crap when I first got it. I have sent it back to STI Twice now and had a slide and bbl replaced to get it to shoot any as semblance of a group at 50 yards. Their customer service was great, but if their quality control any thing like the poor quality of the gun, shame on them. I was lucky to get a 6-7 inch bunch at the 50, now it will at least shoot 3-3 1/2 inch at the 50 with the right load.
Strange thing, has the tri set Aristocrat Sight on top and all screws are metric. When I called Jim At Aristocrat to get a screw and told him this, said none of his sights made with metric screws ever which led him to believe this was a foreign made clone. These guns supposed to be made in Texas, U.S.
I know you can get a lemon in anything. Now I know why the original owner sold it. Shame, thing is built like a tank and is/was tight.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement