<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wolff spring kit

July 31 2016 at 9:04 PM
Score 1.0 (1 person)
Kris  (Login nwoppc)

What Wolff spring kit should I get for my distinguished 686?
I run all federal primers

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JPE0392
(Login JPE0392)

Re: Wolff spring kit

No score for this post
August 1 2016, 1:11 AM 

None, get a quality trigger job done.

Unregistered Member
(Login Lane579)

Re: Wolff spring kit

No score for this post
August 1 2016, 9:34 AM 

You can experiment with rebound springs to lighten your DA. I bought the pack with various weights and ended up using the 14#. I've never messed with a main spring but if you keep researching, especially on the S&W forums, you'll find some good info.

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Wolff

No score for this post
August 1 2016, 10:07 AM 

I have put Wolff competition springs in four of my S&W revolvers with good results. I have replaced the main springs and rebound springs. In all but one I used the lightest rebound spring that comes with the kit. In two of the four it was a simple drop in process with no light hits on any of my factory or reloaded loads. On two of my revolvers I got light hits on about half of my factory loads and reloads. So I researched and ended up buying set screws to replace the main spring screws so I could get more tension on the main spring. I then adjusted the set screw as necessary until I wasn't getting light hits. I bought the set screws at Ace Hardware. I forget the size but be sure to get the long ones so you can have maximum adjustment. Once the set screws are where you want them put some blue thread lock on the set screw.

I would put in the lightest rebound spring and see how it felt under rapid DA dry firing. On one of my revolvers the light rebound spring seemed to cause the "reset to not quite reset" so I put in the next higher spring and it felt good. Once I had these in there was no comparison to a factory trigger. The factory triggers were off scale on my trigger gauge (I am guessing 14 lbs plus in DA). After the Wolff springs and adjustments they measure around 8 to 9 lbs and feel much better.

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Wolff

No score for this post
August 7 2016, 9:30 PM 

hmmmm, you did say distinguished. I'm pretty certain replacing the strain screw with set screws won't past muster with an official if spotted. of course, YMMV

Jim C

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Rule 3.1 number 3

No score for this post
August 8 2016, 7:07 AM 

All firearms are allowed to have action work to make the trigger crisper and or smoother.

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Rule 3.1 number 3

No score for this post
August 9 2016, 10:53 PM 

well, although they have relaxed the PPC distinguished revolver rules over the years, there is still this to consider..

3.18Equipment in General:
All devices or equipment that may facilitate shooting and are not mentioned in these Rules, or are contrary to the spirit of these Rules and Regulations, are forbidden. The Tournament Director, Referee, Three Member Jury Chairman, or Tournament Supervisor shall have the right to examine a competitor’s equipment or apparel. The responsibility shall be upon the competitor to submit questionable equipment and apparel for official inspection and approval in sufficient time prior to the beginning of a Tournament so that it will not inconvenience either the competitor or the official.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
August 9 2016, 11:42 PM 

We all have to submit our distinguished guns before the match to have the triggers weighed and other than that nobody makes too much issue about the equipment

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
August 10 2016, 8:43 PM 

yep, that's true, and often someone gets nailed for something that falls in that gray area. you pay your money and take your chances.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
August 15 2016, 2:44 PM 

MURRAY Charlton is going to put my new sight on and tune my trigger for me

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

A screw

No score for this post
August 15 2016, 10:35 PM 

Well I think it would be hard for anyone to argue that replacing a screw with a like screw violates the spirit of the rules. Especially when that type of work is specifically mentioned in the rules as being allowed and the trigger pull weight is within specs.

Jim
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: A screw

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 9:48 AM 

Dennis Willing, former PPC and current NRA Competition's Director, feels it would be an an external modification and not be allowed.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 2:14 PM 

Just checked in with our referee in chief here in Canada and he says I would be fine with an action job and new springs

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
August 17 2016, 6:27 PM 

No problems with that.

Unregistered Member
(Login toddcfii)

Really?

No score for this post
August 18 2016, 6:38 AM 

Really? I would love to hear from him here on the board about this. This honestly makes me want to quit the game.

Unregistered Member
(Login nwoppc)

Kris

No score for this post
August 18 2016, 10:03 AM 

Flip him an email cpca-referee@telus.net
His name is doug brodie

Jim ?
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Really?

No score for this post
August 18 2016, 5:54 PM 

Really? that thin skinned?

The premise of Distinguished Revolver was ,excluding several permissable items, to maintain the firearm as stock as possible, not to turn it into a gamer's gun race.

Since you will have your grips covering the offending part it's probably a non-issue anyway.

Jim

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
August 18 2016, 8:54 PM 

The action job is called a distinguished tune and the work it to specifically keep the gun within the parameters of the distinguished program. It doesn't violate any rules and as I mentioned before our referee in chief has no issues with it
Everyone shooting distinguished here has had this or something similar done to their distinguished guns but the gun still meets standard
Hope this clears the air here

Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
August 18 2016, 9:01 PM 

kris, your confusing my posts. nothing wrong with that. the issue is replacing the factory mainspring strain screw with a non-factory set screw. that's the issue. clearly you can have a trigger job done, but, You cannot replace factory parts with non-factory parts....

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement