<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crimp on wadcutters

November 17 2016 at 4:54 AM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

Hi guys

I was looking for opinions from the experts here on the amount and type of crimp you use on your wadcutters. I currently use a classic old 2.8 N310 load with a 148 H&N wadcutter as I'm in europe and very lightly taper crimp
my rounds.

What would you recommend for accuracy?

Also, do you find a difference in accuracy at 50 metres/yards depending on how often brass has been used or indeed do you trim cases to length?

Thanks guys

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Maik
(Login mopper72)

Re: Crimp on wadcutters

No score for this post
November 17 2016, 10:01 AM 

Hi

I use H&N 125grs HighSpeed (copper plated) with 3,4grs N32C TinStar and a light taper crimp.
Good for the x ring at 50m from benchrest out of a bbl.

I use starline brass, for matches up to 10x reloaded before I switch them for training or sidematches.
Never discovered a bad precision until the brass bursts.

Regards from Germany!

JB
(Login x-cop)

Cruimp on wadcutters

No score for this post
November 17 2016, 10:05 AM 

I am no x-pert by any means, but I have found that by either trimming brass to same length(after resizing)and then loading, using a very light roll crimp I am able to squeeze the most accuracy out of the load for the 50. "I" prefer a light roll crimp over taper crimp. 25 on in do not bother to do this. Most folks say no need to trim at all. This pretty true with a straight wall case and may not matter that much at all. With a taper crimp no need to do this. With the same uniform roll crimp I think can effect bullet pull and pressure provided your powder drop uniform too. Try to use same headstamps also, because brass thickness will also effect the crimp. As always experiment and try and see what works for your gun. I recommend seat bullet first and then crimp. Make sure the flare is enough to eliminate shaving lead and deforming bullet.
My opinions, others may have other ideas and suggestions that are better. Try everything and use what works for you.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Cruimp on wadcutters

No score for this post
November 17 2016, 3:35 PM 

Thanks guys, I don't have a ransom rest but will hopefully be getting one to compare loads properly.

I've heard positive things about Tinstar N32C with the 125 H&N 125 wadcutter too. It would be nice to have a cleaner load than the lead rounds but the work well at the moment.

Unregistered Member
(Login mopper72)

Re: Cruimp on wadcutters

No score for this post
November 18 2016, 10:54 AM 

Yes, this load is very clean, just a oily towel to remove the smoke is enough between the 5.000 rounds shop cleaning.
The best advantage using TinStar is: nearly 100% filling volume, no more the problem of having the litte powder charge in front or back, so you will have a consistent discharge.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement