<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Production Gun

November 21 2016 at 3:18 PM
No score for this post
Brad  (Login BradJH)

Howdy, in reference to rule: 3.10 Production S/A gun. Rule stipulates barrel length max 5" with double action. We, here in Canada, can't possess 4" barrels. (there are exemptions, but for all intents and purposes can't)
Yes, the debate can go for a long time over tasty beverages over how stupid the law is, but not right now.

We used to obtain the OK by the referees in Jackson, and then Albuquerque, for us to use our S&W 5906/5946 with an extended barrel. The pistols have been fitted with a barrel slightly over the 105mm length, 4.25" to replace the factory 4" barrel.
I would like to put this request to the "powers that be", to obtain permission to again utilize these same pistols.
Appears to me this gun match is designed for a "duty" type gun for D/A, striker, etc requirement. Hence my want to bring the 5906.

I've gone to the NRA Law Enforcement site, but can't find an email that I could possibly direct my request to.

Does anyone here have a contact email where I can send something?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Contact

No score for this post
November 22 2016, 4:03 PM 

Marc Lipp is who I would contact. PM me if you want his email. Also, if you can have a 4.25 inch barrel but not 4, can you have a 5 inch barrel? If so why not get a 5 inch production gun? I am not sure the NRA would allow you around a rule because you do not want to buy a new gun, although I would agree that your 4.25 inch barrel in a 4 inch gun does not give you an advantage over others in the production class.

Unregistered Member
(Login BradJH)

Re: Contact

No score for this post
November 22 2016, 4:56 PM 

It was a few years ago before there was this "formalization" of the Production gun definition. We were bringing "duty" guns that matched the work gun, but weren't allowed to cross the border with (our issue).
Up here, we have a Duty gun event along with all the other 1500/600/480 events. We can't use a 5" gun for that event. And because of the legislation 4" rule, we have allowed the extended 4.25" barrels that drop in to the slide of the approved Duty gun. No other modifications are allowed, other than the barrel length.

But yup, I could see them now saying "Nope" you have to buy a new gun.
PM incoming.

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Marc Lipp

No score for this post
November 22 2016, 8:06 PM 

Apparently I can't get a PM on here. Here is a link to a website that has Marc's phone number at the bottomhttp://npsc.nra.org/documents/pdf/law/competitions/npsc/exhibitor_registration_form.pdf

He is the LE competition guru.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement