<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

100 SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 4:38 AM 

So just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons. One of our gun builders over here is having good results with barrels of 1 in 30 and 1 in 36 twist with these light pills. I can't see how they do but having known him for over 15 years and seen the results on targets he's beaten me on, I believe him.

So what would you guys think the optimum twist rate should be for PPC. I've shot my 1 in 8 with both 100SWC and 160 HBWC's with equal results.

Tony

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 gr SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 8:59 AM 

Hello Tony

You must be talking about Ray Pulvers barrels. Very nice work from what I've seen. I'm running APEX
barrels. 1-12 twist with 10 lands and grooves .3565 bore. I'm getting sub 1" groups with 1.9 VV n310 or 2.1 WST
660-685 fps.

I've been quickly converting the members of our club to these little pills! Once you try them your hooked.

Regards
Roly

JB
(Login x-cop)

Case filling

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 11:07 AM 

... more info "Matts Bullets" 1-870-856-6788
Matt's Bullets
104 Turkey Pen Road
Highland, AR 72542
870-856-6788
You can Google this site. He is located in Arkansas, U.S. I have ordered some to try. As you can see has swc and full wadcutter. This has peeked my interest so had to give it a try. He was willing to sell me samples of each one.

100 Grain Wadcutter (.359)
100 Grain Wadcutter (.359)
$11.50

... more info

105 Grain Semi-Wadcutter (.359)
105 Grain Semi-Wadcutter (.359)
Highly recommended for light recoil plinking or small varmits.

JB
(Login x-cop)

100 swc

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 11:18 AM 

Tony,
No idea on optimum twist for this boolit. 1:14 seems to be opt. for the 148 grain full wadcutter with some touting the 1:10 & 1:12 Forcing cone angle/cut and cyl throats along with ranging(cyl to bbl lock up)has a lot to do with it also. Some swear by "Taylor" throating, some poo it. Everyone has an opinion, just like a certain part of the anatomy. Whatever works for you, use it. Never poo poo anything until you try it I say.
Rock River had been building 9mm using a KKK bbl with a 1:32 twist(no longer making them), in their 1911's and had been getting some really great results. Rumor was the AMU was using these for the Beretta 92's and getting sub one inch groups at the 50. Of course some smithing done to the guns to tighten them up for accuracy.

Rolly, thanks for additional load data input.

JB

JB
(Login x-cop)

100 swc

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 11:29 AM 

Roly,
What brand mould did you get? What boolit composition material did you decide on? Lead starting to get little hard to find.
JB

Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 gr SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 12:47 PM 

The bullet alloy is 92/6/2 with a brinell hardness of around 18. They are then coated and baked 3 times with the Hi-Tek bullet coating made in Australia. That is the key to no smoke and extremely clean burning with improved velocities. The bullet moulds
the Aussies are using are Magma engineering. I bought a set of 8 moulds to duplicate these bullets.

Don't waste your time with the 105 grain wadcutters. Not nearly as accurate. The SWC that Matts bullets is selling are produced from LEE moulds. Been there done that! They are a little different in profile. Accuracy is ok.

JB
(Login x-cop)

100 SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 3:58 PM 

Roly,
Thanks for heads up on those bullets. Any source I can order the boolits the Aussies are using?
Also ordered another sample from Cy Ammo, but they are 105 grains too.
If the boolits from Matts coming from a Lee Mould, prob junk. Too late I already ordered, fortunately no big investiment.
JB

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: 100 SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 6:37 PM 

I was just wondering did I see you shooting in the czech republic in August Roly?

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 8:26 PM 

my experience with the 1:32 9's has been the 115's have to be amped up to reach their accuracy potential. I think many are going back to the 1:10 and 147 gr pills.

I'd think in a slow 38, the 1:8 would be the more interesting way to go.

Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 gr SWC

No score for this post
December 21 2016, 9:38 PM 

Yes sir I was in CZ last summer shooting the European open for Canada. We had a great time! The Budvar beer was mighty fine as well! Im trying to put a face to your name. What flag were you flying? I've met so many great people traveling around to these competitions and they are all willing to share their secret recipes and sometimes equipment with you. What other sport can you say the same for?

Unfortunately there is no source yet for these bullets in North America that is why I bought the moulds for commercial casting. I hand poured the first couple of batches to prove the concept and they worked amazingly. In a normal season I'm shooting 10,000-15,000 rounds of .38 so hand casting, coating and sizing was out of the question. With some persuasion I was fortunate enough to partner up with a commercial manufacturer who has agreed to run me 1 batch a year. My first order should be ready in January with 40,000 already spoken for. If anyone is interested let me know and I can increase the order size. You can reach me at roly625@gmail.com

Regards
Roly

Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

100 SWC

No score for this post
December 22 2016, 3:01 AM 

Hi Roly, yes I certainly do mean Ray Pulvers barrels. He is a perfectionist so any barrel you will get from him is pretty smick, i've never seen bad one yet.

Totally agree with you on the 100c's, been there and couldn't get any good results, tried a 115HBWC with the same poor results, must just be on that cusp of stabilising or not, luckily it's on the right side.

If you guys want the address for Spartan, at least tell them I sent you, may get better price. You're 75c to our dollar at present but I think the transport will kill you. Get in with Roly if you ask me.

Spartan - mailto:spartan.projectiles@gmail.com

ask for andy or John

Keep us in the loop Roly, I'm very interested in your results.

cheers

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

No score for this post
December 22 2016, 3:39 AM 

I was one of the novices hiding in the background Roly from Northern Ireland. I'd watched you shooting though and
was blown away by your groups (pardon the pun).

Is there any manufacturer or supplier in europe that anyone knows of? The accuracy of the lead HBWC far exceeds my skills as a novice but it would be nice to have something that didnt leve my looking like I'd been working down a coal mine after a few hundred rounds.

Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 SWC

No score for this post
December 22 2016, 12:16 PM 

Thanks for the kind words Irish-PPC. Perhaps we can discuss strategies over a pint in Alsfeld next summer at the World champs. When I spoke with the good people at Magma Engineering I asked who all they have sold this particular bullet mould to. She told me that one set went to Sweden to my friend Thomas Svensson. He made up 10,000 pcs for the Aussies to shoot at the world champs in Stockholm. The 10 other sets went to Australia. I know that Neil Jones from GB was looking for a supplier as well and wanted to try them in his LBR. You may have to do as I did and purchase a set of moulds.

Regards
Roly

Maik
(Login mopper72)

WM Bullets

No score for this post
December 23 2016, 2:21 AM 

Hey Folks

just an idea: Willi Mintert from Germany has Silvermoly Coated Bullets.
Not 100grs, but maybe he will do.

Years ago I've tested his wadcutters 125 and 148grs, but wasn't satisfied: not more acuracy for more bucks.
My actual load is with H&N 125grs WC copperplated and 3,4grs N32C. Clean, smooth and cheap. 12 rounds less than 60mm from benchrest (not Ransom Rest) at 50m (not yards).

I'm interested in more accuracy too, but wouldn't go for lubricated lead due to the ban at some popular indoor ranges in germany.

So if there will be a new way, why not?
I'm at the WCS2017 in Alsfeld too, see you there

JB
(Login x-cop)

Case filling

No score for this post
January 16 2017, 6:29 PM 

Well, finally was able to get out to test some of these style boolits. Using 2.1 WST, 2.3 & 2.5 with poor results @ the 50
Loaded some 9mm with 3.5 CFE,3.7,& 4.0 grains seated 1.050 oal with promising results from 3.7 and 4.0 grains. 3.5 would not operate slide completely on the STI Targetmaster. Out of a PPC 9 shot about same. Shot these from off the barricade and not machine rested. Got 10 ring group with one out of each group(5rounds) bad flier.
Going to kick up the .38 loads and the 9mm loads a little bit to see if they get tighter or not.Hopefully this week if weather holds

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 4:18 PM 

Hi Roly

I'm just wondering, how did you adapt the seating die to enable it to seat them deeper?

many thanks

T.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: 100 gr SWC

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 11:51 AM 

Are the Magma 150 swc any good?

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

100 SWC's

No score for this post
September 15 2017, 5:26 PM 

No need to adapt any dies or seating punches. Those of you who shoot ISSF or similar matches probably use a 32 S&W, all I did was put the 32 seating punch into the 38 dies and it slides down easily inside the 38 case. No catching or nicked mouths.

Will be checking out a new manufacturer in the next couple of weeks for 100 SWC's, seems everyone and their dog is on the bandwagon these days. Now it's about quality and price, I know what load works for me, so it's up to them to show me theirs is superior to what I can buy already.

I was offered some 100 WC's the other week, tried them back in the '80's. didn't work then so am pretty sure won't work now at 50. 25 and down was OK with extremely light loads but I want ammo I can pick out of the box and shoot.

Tony

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Case Filling - does it affect accuracy

No score for this post
December 30 2016, 5:59 AM 

Adding Semolina ( fine breakfast serial ) to fill air gaps adds a unique scent to your loads but if you don't get the projectile sitting nice and neat without any air gap and with a slight compression on the mix you can get into trouble. I tried it years back when I didn't have an insert to push the projectiles inside the case and ended up pulling about 50 rounds when the semolina mixed with the powder to produce a very slow burning mixture which scared the living hell out of me after just one shot.

There was the pop of the primer then a wooosh as the powder burnt down the barrel not unlike a black powder gun, I still can remember the projectile landing a few feet in front into the grass and my heart racing thinking I got out of that one pretty easy.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Case Filling - does it affect accuracy

No score for this post
September 13 2017, 4:11 PM 

Hi Guys

I'm fairly sure that its been discussed before but are the 105 swc from the magna moulds accurate?

many thanks

Turlough

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement