<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Bobbing The Hammer

December 22 2016 at 4:42 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

I've learned so much reading through these pages that I'm probably going to pester you all with more queries!

I've wondered on everyones opinions of bobbing hammers on ppc revolvers. I've seen mojo revolvers with bobbed and skeletonised hammers and wondered what the advantages in relation to standard hammers. Is there a beneficial or adverse effect on primer strike consistency?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Bobbing the Hammer

No score for this post
December 22 2016, 6:56 PM 

For what ever this is worth. You are going to get many "opinions" on this. Some say the bobbed hammer gives you the advantage of a faster fall minimizing gun movement at time of discharge of round. Looks cool. Lightened trigger pull in DA.
Others will say it is a disadvantage in that a lighter hammer will give you lighter strikes, therefore inconsistent primer ignition(effecting accuracy),misfires(clickies), and or not that much a real difference on hammer fall. Wind up sometimes tightening down on main spring to get better ignition making DA heavier(some folks like heavy DA though)Also in the stages at 25/50 yards you get a high primer or dirt under the extractor, or round not seated 100% and you cant reach over and use that spur(if you are on top of things) to get that cyl around to next round and stay in the game.
Do some homework, read up on pros and cons about doing this alteration before doing any surgery. Get another hammer if possible and save the original if possible and try it to see if makes a difference for you. Prob more psychological and cosmetic than real advantage if anything.
Just another "opinion".
Stay safe

Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

Bobbing the hammer

No score for this post
December 22 2016, 10:44 PM 

I'm with you JB, personal opinion is high on this subject. My guns all have the hammer still intact, a lot of the people around me have them bobbed. I have never found the minuscule hammer fall speed difference to be of any disadvantage. But then I know from experience that when the hammer falls on as you said a dodgy round I have the ability to clear and continue. Seen lot's of shooters with rounds still left in the gun.

My opinion is, keep it on.

Tony

Maik
(Login mopper72)

Re: Bobbing The Hammer

No score for this post
December 23 2016, 2:52 AM 

A little story from German Nationals 2016:

a Team Member of mine had lost his triggerstop screw but didn't discovered it.
He shot his match and then picked off for a gun check. Due to the gone triggerstop screw, it was possible to cock the gun with the spur, so the gun had a single action mode and was weighted.

Result: less than the minimum of 2,5 lbs. and he was DQed.

If he have had no spur, it wouldn't be possible to cock the gun.

What I have learned in the past:
The real reason of bobbing, skeletonising, numbering the chambers, coating, polishing, milling etc. is:
the gunsmith makes more money. My first PPC Revolver was equipt with all of that. Nice, but no winning gun.

I changed my gunsmith, one of the oldschool guys, and he build me a gun with no F/X but accuracy.
After that I realised an average of 1471.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Bobbing a hammer

No score for this post
December 23 2016, 10:37 AM 

Interesting point on trigger stop. Many wannabe gunsmiths get into the actions in their attempt to lighten the da pull and F up the sa to a point sometimes of getting push off Point being never know when you will loose your trigger stop and get DQ'd. Had that happen many times at Nationals and competitor would run back to one of the venders depending on make of gun and have them put the angle back on the sa to pass weight test. Don't know if you can do this in your matches.
On the newer S&W revolvers with the "floating" firing pins, you can get away with a little lighter hammer fall and still get consistent ignition(depending on primers being used)Federal is much more sensitive than Winchester, Remington, or CCI. One of the reasons some reloader makers do not recommend Federal being used in their machines, in fear of accidental ignition in priming or in the fill tube.
Lot of shooters feel a "hard" hammer strike contributes much to accuracy giving the consistent primer ignition you don't get with the lighter strike, along with eliminating the misfires.
As a real good friend used to tell me key to good shooting is putting them all in the center. LOL
Stay safe

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement