<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Twist rate-Andrew

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 9:51 PM 

The Spring is lightened but it is the one the Gun Builder shipped it to me with, I have used a lighter slide but had issues with feeding with the SWC's so I went back to this one. JB the 100gr load most people over here use is 2 grains of Trail Boss with the projectile pushed down 3mm from the case mouth for 25 yard shooting and 2.7 to 2.8 grains for the 50 yards. The trick is to not compress the Trail Boss powder as it behaves erratically speed wise on the chrono.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
JB
(Login x-cop)

Twist rate Andrew.

No score for this post
January 24 2017, 8:35 PM 

Was able to get out again. Think I finally came up with a load for the 100 grainers(.38's). Instead of pushing the pill down into the case like you say they are doing, loaded it out to 1.378 oal with 2.2 BA10. 8 shots in one hole and couple of fliers about 1/2" out of group Went back to the Lee factory crimp die. Now going to experiment a little and tweek the load. May not see anything better than this, but cant stand prosperity. Breezy and 53 degrees out.
Tried the 9mm again and didn't do as good today, just barely worked the slide with several not locking back on last round. Temperamental little rascals I guess or just bad day.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Twist rate of bbl.

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 9:47 PM 

JB
You were right mate, pushed it up to 1100 fps and shot a nice 4 shot group as below, the impact point is high but I guess that's muzzle rise.

[linked image]

JB
(Login x-cop)

Barrel twist

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 10:55 PM 

Great, looks good. Sometimes a little boost on speed will stabilize the boolit, especially the lighter weight one like this. We have found that the 115 JHP 9mm will tighten up around 1200 fps. Have to experiment keeping things in a safe range of course looking for sudden pressure changes or other signs you have gone too far. With lead pills you have to be especially careful particularly the swaged HBWC. If you run them too fast, can blow skirts off and get some pressure spikes. I have seen them come off and get stuck in forcing cones. Hard cast and good lubed boolits can be run pretty fast with relative safety and good results.
Glad my suggestion had positive results for you. Keep shooting those groups and out um all in the center. A good shooter told me the key to being a good marksman is putting them all in the center. LOL

Thomas S
(Login waid1406)

Barrel twists

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 3:40 AM 

Hi
I have been playing around with several barrels and for the 9x19 the 1/24 shows supperior to the most
exept for 1/32 with 115gr at 1200ft/s. The barels I have been testning are
Orginal sig (1/9,8)
IGB polygon (1/16)
Lothar walter (1/14)
Ray pulver (1/24)
KKM/sig hybrid (1/32)

My sigs have now ray pulver barrels and they are extremly accurate. Both ray pulver and the IGB shows a long barel life
wiht my loads in the 9mm (123gr Ammotech TC jacket bullet).

For the 38's I have barels from 1/10 to 1/24 and I find all accurate but with diffrent speeds.
The 1/14 is the universal one with 1/24 and 1/16 as second options.
The 1/10 is less forgiving but very accurate.
A 1/12 is to select for the greman H&N 125gr Copper plated Wadcutter.

All my 38 barrels are now Ray pulver, and they all have a taylor throat.
I have made the throat to the specs of Jim Stroh who helped me geting going.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Barrel twists

No score for this post
June 24 2017, 3:51 AM 

Thomas some good gear there mate, I want to get a 1:14 for an old service revolver but haven't got around to chasing it up yet.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement