<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Crimp / seating die recommendations

January 4 2017 at 6:19 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

Just wondering what dies you currently use?

I'm tempted to try a light roll crimp on my reloads and wasn't sure as to everyones preference? I mostly use dillon or redding dies but ony have taper crimp dies at the moment

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(Login x-cop)

Crimp seating die

No score for this post
January 4 2017, 8:51 PM 

My experience, I have had no good results using a taper crimp on my .38's. I use the Lee factory crimp die and get best results. I have tried trimming the brass to same length and using a Consistent Crimp attachment(bar with torque measure on it)with no better results than leaving the brass alone and using the Lee die or a RCBS, lyman, Redding Pro Crimp die. Nothing really gave me any real eye opening improvement in my groups over a plain ole light roll crimp. Some swear by the taper crimp. Like any die don't want to over crimp and deform the boolit. With lead boolits make sure to flare mouth enough so as not to shave lead off the pill. Hope this helps

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Crimp seating die

No score for this post
January 5 2017, 3:46 PM 

I'll order a lee die and give it a go. Thanks for the advice, it nice when a recommendation is fairly inexpensive too!

Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

Crimp dies

No score for this post
January 6 2017, 2:15 AM 

Irish, I prefer using the taper crimp as I believe it doesn't overwork the brass as much as the roll crimp die does. Unless you keep all of your brass trimmed there will always be a difference in the amount of roll crimp applied, using the taper crimp this is not so critical. I have seen roll crimped cases where there is a definite bulge at the mouth due to uneven trimmed cases, and we all know how much we hate to trim cases.

But like everything else in this sport, try everything and see what works for you. As the rounds aren't particularly heavy a light roll crimp may well work for you, my press is set up for power factor load as well as PPC loads, all get the same amount of crimp. with my PPC loads pushed down inside the case the effect the crimp has is almost negligible.

Flaring the case mouth or expanding the case to sufficiently accept the cast or swaged pill is more of a concern, any damage to the base and we are just giving points away. As an exercise if you are using swaged pills, load and then pull the projectile and measure the head. I found the the case would compress the projectile down below an acceptable diam to give good accuracy. Humour me and try it.

cheers

JB
(Login x-cop)

Crimp dies

No score for this post
January 6 2017, 2:42 PM 

I agree with everything you posted Toney, One of the reasons also I like the Lee Factory Crimp die is that is an little extra insurance that it will chamber good, as it has that carbide sizing ring that the case goes up into when you crimp. This may or may not be bad because it does in a small way resize the boolit if it is somewhat large. Can that effect accuracy, possibly depending on your bore diameter. But really helps with a reload. As you say, have to try everything. One thing that works for one person may not for another. As I have stated previously, tried different things and theories and no real earth shaking differences. If you gun is quality and everything mechanically good shouldn't make that much difference with a quality load. Crimp is critical though, imho, too little or too much can really effect accuracy. This I have found out with personal tests.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement