<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

.45 ACP 185gr SWC

January 6 2017 at 9:15 PM
No score for this post
Bill  (Login ppcgunner)

Hello all,
Does anyone have any load data for a .45 ACP LSWC using WST? I'm looking for a recipe that would be accurate to 25 yards only with just enough punch to cycle a Springfield TRP with a factory 16lb spring. I was thinking of 4.3 gr with an OAL of 1.235.. any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

45 ACP

No score for this post
January 6 2017, 10:05 PM 

Try 3.8-4.1 set 1.250 oal.

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

Re: 45 ACP

No score for this post
January 6 2017, 10:24 PM 

I've tried a longer OAL but they hang up when they feed. I almost have the length right but I still get a few fail to feeds. I'm not using ramped barrel and I'm using a 185 bullet from Zero.

JB
(Login x-cop)

45 ACP

No score for this post
January 7 2017, 12:18 AM 

Falls back to knowing what will work in you gun. You need to try different combinations then. How yu crimp the mouth. Is the throat and ramp angled right for that boolit and polished and throated? Tight chamber. What mags work in your gun, and mags timed right. ON and On. Good luck with a load.

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

No score for this post
January 7 2017, 12:27 AM 

I guess I'm just trying to make a LSWC work in my gun. I don't have a problem with any other round except the SWC. I taper crimp them at .469 and I use Chip McCormick mags. Seems like I'm doing everything right but I just can't make these rounds feed consistently enough to use them for competition. sad.gif

JB
(Login x-cop)

45 ACP

No score for this post
January 7 2017, 10:54 AM 

From everything we have learned about the SWC feeding, main concern is ramp polished and the barrel throated properly otherwise you will definitely have problems. Release point of the mag lips can be critical too(timing. Again tweeking different things and trying different things can help. Try a different boolit, sometimes that helps. Soft lead SWC boolits with that nose and sharp edges sticking out there have a tendency to catch on just about anything. Is the round going up and catching on the hood or nose diving and hanging up on the rear of the chamber? Might even try a different spring.Take it in to a "good" smith and let him look at it and shoot it. Just my opinion.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
January 7 2017, 6:29 PM 

Just my 2 cents worth on SWC and problems feeding, I had issues with winchester brass on my STI but didn't realize it was the problem until I bought a packet of starline and loaded them up and had zero feed issues after. I still don't know the reason why but by just changing over to starline my problem completely went away.

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: .45 ACP 185gr SWC

No score for this post
January 10 2017, 5:15 PM 

Many high master Bullseye shooters have recommended 4.2 gr WST with the 185 LSWC.

Do a search on WWW.Bullseyeforum.net

http://www.bullseyeforum.net/t6157-recommended-wst-loads?highlight=185+LSWC+LOADS

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

Re: .45 ACP 185gr SWC

No score for this post
January 11 2017, 7:44 PM 

Thanks! That's what I needed.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement