<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Needs Some Advice on Dirty Barrel - 357 Magnum Revolver

January 23 2017 at 3:55 AM
No score for this post
Andrew  (Login spEKTre)

Just quickly, I have a service revolver that has like a blackish build up in the rifling and nothing will move it, I have tried it all and even a quick swipe of a stainless brush down the end to see it will come out but still nothing. It could be a stain on the metal or part of the manufacturing but It irks me because this gun doesn't shoot as well as it should and leads up very easily.

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(Login JPE0392)

LEADING

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 2:13 PM 

Well that is a cool picture. Are we looking at it from the muzzle or breach end? Is it an after market or stock bbl? It appears to be from muzzle end as I see no forcing cone relief at lands and grooves. If it is the muzzle end I also don't see any crown so please confirm for further response if desired. JPE

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: LEADING

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 5:19 PM 

Its the muzzle end and I cut down the picture to keep as high res as I could, its an after market slab barrel. It appears that the dark area is the smaller diameter and the discolouration a manufacturing left over maybe ? Below is a slug from that barrel.

[linked image]

Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 7:50 PM 

How does it shoot with match 148 gr factory ammo?

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 8:25 PM 

Never tried factory ammo, I think its a 1:16 twist but its really only good for 25 meters with the current barrel on all loads I have tried. Just shot another 24 rounds and its leaded again so I am starting to think I may swap this barrel out.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Leading

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 9:11 PM 

Only suggestion that "might" work for you is to "Fire Lap" the bbl. What load are you using? Might be a little hot.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Leading

No score for this post
January 23 2017, 9:44 PM 

Well i'm trying to use a PF load for service in it, a 135gr pill with 2.9 grains of AS30N ( 900 fps )which has not leaded another gun up at all but this one seems to be either a deeper groove or faster twist than I expect or the barrel is just plain done with.

Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

Leading

No score for this post
January 24 2017, 3:43 AM 

Andrew, I'll give you $20 for the barrel NOW.... just send details wink.gif

It certainly isn't done with, I've personally had my barrel on my SP gun since 1999 and have shot more rounds than I can count or wish to. Using 148BNWC with 3.2AS30. Yeah there is a little bit of lead there after 90 rounds, but I expect that, I didn't like and couldn't get to shoot the 135 grain loads, so I stopped. If you don't want some leading, shoot jacketed and as we both know isn't an option.

I think you are worrying way too much. You could try a slower powder, maybe AP50 but I know people who have a lead mine falling out of their barrels at the end of a SP match, clean it and get on with it.

As you said, it doesn't happen with another gun, right load right gun. My barrel is a 1:6.

cheers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement