<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

S&W model 15 barrel swap

February 2 2017 at 5:13 PM
No score for this post
Hatman1793  (Login Hatman1793)

Would like to see a different perspective on a dilemma I have about a spare/backup 4" service gun.

I have a S&W 4" model 15 with the tapered barrel. Have an opportunity to obtain a S&W model 10 with the desirable heavy barrel, also 4". Some of the later model 15's have this HB but mine does not.
So I could buy the model 10 HB, have it put on my 15, with a new front sight treatment. The 10HB sight is lower than the adjustable 15.
Cost would be around $350.00. All in. That's option one.

Option two is to have a spare S&W adjustable sight installed on my heavy barrel S&W model 13. The 13 has fixed sights so my cost would only be the installation costs. However, this could be a tricky job, plus a tool for cutting the adjustable sight hold-down square must be found, sourced or perhaps someone has one.

Option three is just continue to use my S&W model 19 for service matches & save the cost.

Opinions? Thanks...

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

S&W model 15

No score for this post
February 2 2017, 5:44 PM 

I have a model 15 HB that I will sell if interested.. I need $400 plus shipping. It is a LE gun, carried but not shot much. About 90% and still tight.
Of course nothing wrong with option 3.

toddcfii
(Login toddcfii)

Be careful

No score for this post
February 2 2017, 9:41 PM 

Be careful what you do to guns and make them non stock. I have heard first hand from referees that have DQd guns for less than what you are talking about. i.e. I know a guy who had a 4 inch full lug model 14 barrel put on a year model 14 frame that did not come with a full lug barrel. He got away with it for a while until a referee really knew what he was looking at and DQd the gun. That is an expensive mistake. I do not know enough to know if that is similar to your situation but watch out. Good luck.

Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: S&W model 15 barrel swap

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 4:55 PM 

I see nothing to gain from not using the great model 19 you already have.

The only reason I could see would be if you went to an L-frame from the K-frame, but, I personally would stick with the M-19.

Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 5:06 PM 

additional info...

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/333741-model-14-6-four-inch-roper-gun-found.html

I'm surprised a referee didn't notice it earlier!!

JPE
(Login JPE0392)

No score for this post
February 4 2017, 8:04 PM 

Option 1&2 won't pass inspection due to external modification. Stick with option three as the Model 19 will work fine. JP

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement