<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Federal primers

February 26 2017 at 12:06 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login ppcgunner)

Does anyone know the difference between Federal's Gold Match primers and their standard light blue boxed primers? I use the GM for my 1500 revolver and the standard federal primers for Distinguished and Service Revolver because the hammer hits a little harder on those pistols. Since GM primers are a little harder to find I was thinking of using the standard Federal primers for everything.. any thoughts?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Federal Primers

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 6:18 PM 

From unk source:
"when i spoke to a rep years ago he stated that the gold medal match primers are the 'middle of the pack' in productions. the machines have been up and running and they run more QC on the end product"

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

Re: Federal Primers

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 11:23 PM 

It really sure what you're saying...

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

No score for this post
February 26 2017, 11:24 PM 

Not..

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Federal primers

No score for this post
February 27 2017, 12:47 AM 

Never buy primers/ammo/guns/cars/anything made on a Monday or Friday.

First rule of life.......

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Federal primers

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 9:42 PM 

They both work the same.
The GM's are just when the line is most stable.

similar to the CCI Green Box and standard velocity.

everyone uses standard velocity anyway.

I've never had a problem interchanging the two.

Jim
Michigan

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
March 11 2017, 8:06 AM 

Its interesting using Federal Primers, they are expensive and the only real reason to use them is the fact they are the softest of all primers which means you can wind back your strain screw to give you a light pull. I found using a Dillon 650 press to reload 38 specials there is an inherent problem with reliability to seating the primer consistently and ignition problems always occur. So you end up winding the strain screw right up until the problem goes away but the trigger poundage is up higher than you want, until I worked out the trick to perfect ignition every-time.

Hand prime your brass and inspect every round to see that there is a round hump on the primer top so the anvil is slightly showing through the top of the primer, its time consuming and you need the right lighting but if you inspect every round and the ones where the primer top is flat need to be either set aside as practice rounds or chance your arm and put it back through the press wink.gif

Unregistered Member
(Login JIMPGOV)

No score for this post
March 11 2017, 10:07 AM 

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE PRIMER . IT THE PRESS OPERATOR NOT USING THE SAME AMOUNT OF FORCE TO SEAT EACH PRIMER. OR TABLE NOT HEAVY ENOUGH WHEN YOUR PUSHING UP TO SEAT THE PRIMER. I USE A RL1050 IT SEATS THE PRIMER ON THE DOWN STROKE. PRESS ADJUSTED SO AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STROKE OF THE HANDLE , THE HANDLE IMPACTS THE EDGE OF THE TABLE TO SHOW A COMPLETE STROKE OF THE HANDLE. ALSO WITH THE TURN OF AN ALLEN SCREW ON THE 1050'S YOU CAN ADJUST PRIMER SEATING DEPTH. JP

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
March 12 2017, 4:42 PM 

I was told this is the answer to my problem ( buy a 1050 ) but I already have 3 presses and $2500 for another press is not an option. I can't count how many times my Dillon 650 has let me down with broken springs, pins, index arms and not to mention crunch primers so the anvil falls out. I get it working again nicely only to have another issue pop up with it but my original lee Prop 1000 just keeps on ticking over without an issue.

I now use a lee hand primer and my problem went away for $50, yes its more steps and more effort but its a cost effective resolution Jim.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Federal Primers

No score for this post
March 12 2017, 10:38 PM 

650 in my personal experience was a pain in the ars. Constantly flipping primers, locking up, and general all around POS. Idea was good when it worked for volume production. Sold it got a 550B and eliminated 99% of problems. Primer seating problems with the 550, yes, but not like the 650. Dillon does not recommend Federal primers in any of their presses, in fact I think says don't use them. Winchester primers definitely little harder, Remington and CCI definitely harder. Using them in a "lightened" action is clickey nightmare. Usually a 1/4-1/2 turn on strain screw from Federal setting will take care of Winchester clicks. If action is smooth wont notice.
As Jim advises, consistent seating pressure and consistent depth setting will cure primer misfire problems. Adjusting the primer seating punch a real plus. Hand seating, highly recommended, is slow, but way to go if you don't mind a slow down. inconsistent primer fire will definitely effect accuracy and inconsistent primer depth will give you this besides misfires.

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

No score for this post
March 13 2017, 12:09 PM 

I use an RL550B and have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds using federal primers and never ran into an issue. The only problem I have ever had is when a .45 casing with a small pistol primer sneaks into my batch of brass, but that's my fault.

I've loaded probably 40,000+ rounds of .38, 9mm and .45ACP and my RL550B has worked flawlessly for me. If I ever bought another press it would be the new RL550C, if I couldn't find another 550B.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Federal primers

No score for this post
March 13 2017, 1:19 PM 

With Dillon, and possibly others it is a liability issue because Federal is more ignition sensitive, it is prob. more of a disclaimer in case of an accident. I have only witnessed one occurrence when a tube of primers went off into the ceiling(great group)and tube held fine. Not mine, someone else's machine.

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Federal primer seating

No score for this post
March 14 2017, 6:08 AM 

Andrew, you are wasting a whole heap of time and energy that could be spent shooting. Having bought my first RL550 back in the early 80's I was told the trick of getting consistent seating from an "old hand". The issue isn't in the press as such, but in ALL presses. If you consider the shape of the shell plate, it has to be a straight sided horseshoe otherwise you cannot get the case into the shell plate, issue 1.

Because of the design, when you try to seat a primer there is always the issue of the case tipping back ever so slightly so the primer doesn't sit square to the plate. Put a case in and tip it back manually to prove this. Unless you have rims that are so thick they bind in the shell plate this is a given. This is what causes the light strikes, you are trying to "reseat" the primer flat in the pocket.

Solution, and remember I have been doing this since the 80's, I am not even going to guess how many rounds my press has loaded, just in case my missus finds out...... When you seat the primer on the up stroke, just back the handle off ever so slightly and turn the case 180 degrees, and then raise the handle again to reseat the primer from the other side of the case. Effectively levelling off the primer on the bottom of the primer pocket.

I've never had a 650, or can afford one. In fact I have never seen one in operation, but I can load 500 rounds an hour on my 550 so why would I want another press. It may take a little time to get used to, but give it a go. Beats the hell out of rehandling out of the press.

My primers look as if someone has hammered them in and sure do have that dimple in the middle, but I also can't remember the last time I had a light strike either. That was press related.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Federal Primers

No score for this post
March 14 2017, 7:03 PM 

Good suggestion and advice from Toney. Other things to consider also, if you apply too much pressure and "crush" the primers, this effects components and therefore will effect ignition consistency and there again will effect accuracy. Different primer pocket depth therefore effects seating, again accuracy can be effected. Back to the old premise of cause and effect > results.
Hand seating much more time consuming for sure, but yooo still get that much more sensitive feel of when the primer bottoms out. Unfortunately sometimes give up one thing for another. Cleaning the pockets another "additional"step helps too. Or, you can buy a CPS competition primer seating tool for $600.(lol)

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
March 15 2017, 6:28 PM 

Yes some good replies here, My 650 has let me down so many times though. The first time the E Clip holding the spring retainre for the priming mechanism half broke and let the spring lose tension and it slightly cocked the priming pin. This allowed me to load up 500+ rounds with the primers not seated square and embarrass myself at my first State Title encounter. I had been given the advice from Linda over here to rotate the rounds 180 degrees and re-seat the primer again and I did do that for a while but like most things you get lazy.

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Federal primers

No score for this post
March 16 2017, 1:58 AM 

That's because Linda heard it from Gary who got the information from the same person I did.

The world is a small place.

Sorry Andrew, there is no excuse for laziness, you only get one shot at these matches, no reshoots for being lazy. Keep it up and it becomes second nature, I don't even think about it anymore, like drawing from a holster.....it just happens.

cheers

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement