<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Light Strikes

February 28 2017 at 10:20 PM
No score for this post
Andrew  (Login spEKTre)

Had an interesting weekend just gone with a service open, seemed the "Light Strike Gods" were after me, had about 6 in total over 3 matches. Anyway the next day I was sitting in my pool lamenting about it when a thought jumped into my head, check the firing pin spring. Sure enough it had broken in half and the pin was not fully back to receive the hammer strike which gave a lighter hit to it, something to keep in mind if all of a sudden you start getting light strikes with a revolver. I bent the larger remaining portion of spring and tested it out today and its back to being reliable, still waiting for a new one from Brownells which is "Out of Stock" atm.

Anyone had some interesting finds when it comes to light striking of the primer ?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

Light strikes

No score for this post
March 2 2017, 12:30 AM 

Sure had my share of them. I've had a g/smith put the wrong length firing pin into my mod 14, two different lengths, guess which one I got?

I had trouble with my first 586, was touch and go with Win brass, Norma brass you could forget about but changed over to Lapua brass and was almost puncturing the primers each time. Lot's of measuring and sure enough, there is a marked difference.

Federal changed the "hardness" on their primers around 15-20 years ago,about the time they changed over from those cute little red boxes to the big grey ones. I had no end of trouble with the new ones, went back and tried some of the old ones, all worked fine. Half a turn on the mainspring fixed my woes.

Tony

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement