<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Federal primer alternatives

April 27 2017 at 2:24 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

With a huge shortage in Europe and my supply now virtually dry what are the alternatives.

I've tried magtech but have had difficulty in getting my revolvers to set them off. CCI and
remington aren't widely available here but I can probably order. What would you recommend?

Thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Federal primer alternatives

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 2:19 AM 

Irish, how is the Winchester situation over there. They have come a long way over the years and my guns will pretty much shoot both, maybe you'll need 1/2 a turn on the mainspring to set them off. I tried some Fiocchi a number of years ago, too hard for me, meant for single action ISSF revolvers or auto's to my mind. CCI's are way too hard for my gun, Magtech would be my third choice if I could get consistent supply.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Federal primer alternatives

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 7:05 AM 

We've just gone through a few years dry spell of federal spp, seem to be plenty around now. Prices have dropped considerably as well down to $275AUD down from as high as $425 here in WA. As for something close to being as soft there really isn't anything imo but give sellier & bellot a go if you can find them or just wind up that strain screw.

Unregistered Member
(Login mopper72)

Fiocchi

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 9:16 AM 

Same in germany, no more Federal.
Fiocchi is working well in my Open Revolver in DA , tests with Dinstinguished, Service and OffDuty are coming up next weekend

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Fiocchi

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 3:38 PM 

Has anyone experience of a brand called ginex?

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Primers

No score for this post
April 28 2017, 3:49 PM 

Not over here, the sad thing is that the ADI factory down in Victoria has a fully automated primer line sitting there gathering dust because the Aus federal government doesn't see the need to bring it on line. Not whilst it can bring in primers from overseas. It still functions and all it needs is for someone to push the start button and could be making primers tomorrow. I know a couple of people that have offered large sums of money for it only to be turned down, they'll write it off in 20 years or so and sell it for scrap.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Primers

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 4:08 PM 

Only magtech and cci available when my permit to buy came back so I've taken a punt on cci
and will wind up the tension a bit.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Primers

No score for this post
May 3 2017, 8:59 PM 

Federal small pistol has dried up here too for some unk reason. Like Remington 148 grain wadcutters no one knows why. Another unsolved mystery.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Primers

No score for this post
May 4 2017, 1:48 AM 

Was talking to a couple of guys on the weekend about this shortage, seems like every year now there is a shortage of something for us reloaders. Haven't been able to buy WST powder for about 3 years here in West Australia but now its everywhere, I managed to buy 13 pounds of it for a reasonable price. Last year it was federal small Pistol primers but now they are everywhere also. ADI powders were scarce for a while too due to some technical issues at the plant here in Australia AP50N was rare as hens teeth, fiocchi primers are nowhere to be seen now as they were the second softest primers ( IMO ) to federals.

Another scarcity is the availability of Sig Sauer X series pistols, I heard there was an embargo put on Sig by the US over dealing with the Mexican drug cartels but surely that must be sorted out by now ? Good thing is that any projectile you want is available I guess even though most suppliers ratcheted up their prices at the same time up over 10%.

Hatman1793
(Login Hatman1793)

Russian "Dominion" SPP

No score for this post
May 24 2017, 9:19 PM 

When our shortage arrived, a ton of Russian Dominion primers became available. At C$28.99 a thousand, they were soon swooped up and sold out. These primers resemble Winchester primers, fit the same and are/were generally suitable.

Great all across the board, with the only exception being all those PPC revolvers. Not as hard as CCI's but close.
Federal 100's have now returned for about C$52.00 a thousand, while Dominion primers sell for C$38.00 a thousand.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement