<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1911's - help a beginner

September 2 2017 at 5:24 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if there is likely to be an accuracy difference between a STp (formerly sti europe) RM (rangemaster bull barrel) versus the sentry model (bushing barrel).

There's so much debate about bushing v bull barrel accuracy that it makes my gut say there must be nothing in it but is one option preferable and why?

many thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim C
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: 1911's - help a beginner

No score for this post
September 2 2017, 10:01 PM 

As long as the bushing barrel is properly fitted, there should not be any accuracy difference between the two.

As a general rule, a higher percentage of High Master Bullseye shooters are using a bushing barrel in 1911's.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
September 7 2017, 8:02 PM 

Out of the Box 1911's accuracy is better than the average shooter could capitalize on. I have a custom STI with a Pulver Bull Barrel in it and it will hold sub X ring off a sand bag, how ever I can really only hold just sub 9 ring with it over an entire match. I often see guys worrying about having a super accurate Auto Pistol to take that out of the equation but see them shoot out to the 7 ring with it. I know really good revolver shooters who won't touch an auto for this reason, it would make them look average happy.gif

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

No score for this post
September 8 2017, 5:52 PM 

Wise words Andrew. If I'm honest I totally agree, I often wonder what the fascination is with the desire for over engineered tools when compared to our ability. I suppose its about priorities, I generally use factory magtech/s&B wadcutters as I have limited time and value practice over reloading and if I'm honest the question is general.

I looked at reviews of stock STI 1911's and the bushing guns seem to out perform the bull barrel guns. This may or may not translate into the real world with personal preference and 'feel' when shooting them. I suppose I'm asking as I make lots of compramises, most related to my my ability, but all things being equal I like feeling I've made the best choices possible, not because I think I'm good enough to need them, but it seems foolish not to if all other things are equal.

JB
(Login x-cop)

1911 help beginner

No score for this post
September 8 2017, 10:49 PM 

Andrew, AVERAGE is the key word here. If you are a competition shooter then they strive to be above average, therefore strive for the most accurate performing pistol they can get for the amount of money they can or want to put out. Prob even a fair shooting revolver will out perform a good out of the box semi auto. Most of your good BE competitors as Jim pointe out opt for the bushing gun. One of the most accurate PPC pistols made was the S&W PPC9 with a "Briley" bushing.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: 1911 help beginner

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 3:45 AM 

I'd be more than happy with average most days!

Maik
(Login mopper72)

Re: 1911 help beginner

No score for this post
September 9 2017, 11:34 AM 

Hm, I´m not on this planet to be avererage...

My opinion to high grade match guns:

A good shot results from good ammo + good gun + good trigger pull + good sight picture.

The worst case: ammo spreads a little + gun a little + bad trigger pull + bad sight picture = maybe a 7
I eliminate the things that are easy to eliminate: inaccuracy gun and inaccuracy ammo. So I can say: bad score = mine fault, not my equipments fault.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement