<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Cylinder Gap

September 18 2017 at 5:37 AM
No score for this post
Andrew  (Login spEKTre)

Guys just wondering what your preference is for a S&W Revolver Cylinder gap ? I have heard between 6-7 thou but others are saying 3 thou. I checked some of my revolvers and they varied a fair bit, some were 8 thou and a few were 6.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Cylinder Gap

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 8:58 AM 

You'll do fine.
If you were having a custom gun built, maybe .003-4.
But a factory S&W, .006-8 you should be thankful for.
I once had a M14 that was .008-.020,one side vs. the other.
had to have it turned back and remounted.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Cyl gap

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 12:51 PM 

What Jim states is good. Sometime back had one of Smith guys tell me even up to .010 ok as long as it was even all way around. Going to loose some velocity and might spit a little. .004 is usually what you want for competition gun. Too close and u will get build(lead) up and cyl might start binding on you. .005-.006 on an average desirable. We have machine rested some revolvers with up to .008 with no "real" loss of accuracy. Depends on gun and other factors including ammo that interact with each other.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Cyl gap

No score for this post
September 24 2017, 11:30 PM 

A guy I shoot with has one revolver that is 14 thou and off a sandbag is about 2 inch's at 50 yards which surprised me a bit.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Cylinder Gap

No score for this post
September 27 2017, 8:56 PM 

I initially cut the cylinder gap on this Bull Barrel to 3 and a bit thou, shot it and found after about 50 shots the lead build up was scraping on the cylinder face and was snagging up the trigger pull. I then cut it to 5 thou and the problem went away, I noticed no discernible accuracy difference between the closer gap and the final cut. The interesting thing is the standard PF load I use which runs about 900 FPS in 3 revolvers is going 950 consistently in this barrel.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement