<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Ransom Rest Query

November 12 2017 at 1:29 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login Irish-PPC)

Further to my previous post about loads for accuracy I've been planning on working up some loads.

The slight issue we have is my club has modified the firing points and covered them in artificial grass
and therefore there's nowhere to bolt a frame for the rest.

Does anyone have any other ideas of a best strategy to stabilise the rest as I'm not allowed to pour a concrete pad.
My plan had been to make an angle iron frame that I can clamp the 1" ply the rest is mounted on to. I'd slide 5-6 30" concrete
paving slabs as a weight to hold it in place. Do you think this would be sufficient or has anyone used any other strategies to
overcome a similar scenario.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Ransom rest query

No score for this post
November 12 2017, 10:14 PM 

We took a steel post about 3-4 inch in diameter and about 5 foot long, welded a rectangular plate large enough to put the rest on it, about half inch thick. Dug hole and concreted or drive it into the ground(depth your choice).You can drill holes in plate to mount rest with bolts or use C clamps. Very stable. Hope this helps

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Ransom rest query

No score for this post
November 13 2017, 4:30 PM 

Thant sounds like the ideal setup, really stable.

At the moment I'm not allowed to add a post or concrete so have to find a temporary solution that is
removable. I'd thought of making a metal frame from 2" angle iron that the 1" ply the rest is screwed to can be clamped to.
I'd weigh this down with around 6 24" square concrete paving slabs.

Do you think this would be sufficient? Would be around 550-600 lbs of weight in the slabs

JB
(Login x-cop)

Ransom Rest query

No score for this post
November 13 2017, 6:19 PM 

That would prob work as long as bench does not wobble or move from any recoil. How about you use some U shaped spikes or similar anchor method that you place on the corners or sides? They can be removable when you are done and maybe wont need the concrete slabs. Just a thought

HUTCH
(Login TJA1987)

Ransom Mount

No score for this post
January 30 2018, 8:06 PM 

Not sure how your range is set up, but if your firing point is a bench/table this may work. I cut an Oak board that would reach from the rear end to the forward end of the table and then mounted my rest to the Oak board. I then held the board to the bench by means of a couple of large 10" C-clamps. I used small rubber pads to keep the clamps from harming the bench. No one complained.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Ransom Mount

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 3:41 PM 

This is the solution I've made. Not perfect but the posts are concreted in and attached to a roof cross member

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Ransom Mount

No score for this post
February 3 2018, 3:43 PM 

ransom rest

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

Ransom rest query

No score for this post
February 4 2018, 5:57 PM 

fantastic setup Irish, looks extremely well done, well it sure beats our 44 gal drum of cement concreted 2' into the ground. I like the way you video your shots, I have thought of this on many an occasion but never got around to it, just a scope at present. What I would suggest though, if you don't already have it set up out of shot, and that is a chronograph, mine always measures each shot, may as well kill two birds at the same time.

Do you still have single action facility on your revolver or pure D/A, I kept single for just this occasion, the gunsmith laughed at me until I told him why I wanted it and the spur left on

Looks like you should have ordered the windage adjustable base, makes life easy for multiple groups on a single target.

Still a great setup though.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Ransom setup

No score for this post
February 4 2018, 9:38 PM 

Very nice set up. Something to think about with machine resting. PPC most(if not wrong)are shooting everything d/a, so we have started testing the guns d/a only. 1 to see if lock up is good and with d/a hammer strike is shorter and can effect accuracy. So by testing your gun s/a may not get the results you are looking for.2 If you are shooting s/a from the 50 then that is the way to go. Just an opinion and something to think on. Might not mean a thing, but this is the way we started testing. Some days do both to see if there is specific difference in grouping and have found there can be depending on gun.

Unregistered Member
(Login Irish-PPC)

Re: Ransom setup

No score for this post
February 5 2018, 3:08 PM 

Thanks Guys.

I really hadn't considered that there could be any difference between DA and SA pull.

I shoot the revolver DA only but still have the SA sear intact as the hammer skeletonisation was a DIY joy (I don't
think Roly will be kiring me as as machinist any time soon judging by my workmanship!)

I'll give both a go to see if there's an impact.

I've now got a chrono which will hopefully let me learn, although a windage base would be a big help (there was a lot of swearing
trying to get targets lined up)

It's a fantastic learning experience and I think it will make a huge impact to reduce the variation from the rounds used

All tips greatly received on how to improve testing!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement