<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Going to try getting some PPC activity started

November 25 2017 at 7:19 PM
No score for this post
Alan  (Login AlaninVermont)

I'm involved with a shooting club in NW Vermont, The Sportsman's Club of Franklin County (scfcvt.org). Back in the late 70s-early 80s the club hosted both PPC & Handgun Metallic Silhouette events. I shot in both disciplines, if there's gunpowder and lead involved what's not to like?

Fast forward to the present. I'm not sure when, or exactly why, both those games fell by the wayside, not just at SCFC but statewide. There is one (small) group shooting in Derby, VT, at least they were a couple years ago but that's it.

The club is now hosting IDPA & USPSA (I think that's right) events along with a few other events of the currently popular "action shooting". Those are fine, still gunpowder & lead and they keep people shooting.

I'm going to try doing something with PPC on our 50' indoor range this winter. Biggest issue I'm going to have to deal with is that the club has deteriorated to where nobody wants to do anything to make things happen so I'll be on my own for the most part. We have range room to set up outdoors through the summer but running events is more than a single person can do and still hope to shoot as well.

Any one else here from the Northern VT area?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: Going to try getting some PPC activity started

No score for this post
November 26 2017, 4:59 AM 

10 Years ago when I first joined my club there was only one range working, all the target turners were broken and nobody bothered to fix anything because there was still the one range working. It took myself and a mate who joined at the same time 6 months to get the Falling Plate range opened back up and from there we went on a spree repairing everything to the point now that its 100% functional. I guess my advice is not to do all the work yourself but to get enthused shooters with some motivation and clear goals because doing it all yourself will burn you out, perhaps try and get a few busy bee's going and set an open date for a shoot so you have something to work for.

As for running events I just went to a 4 day National here in Western Australia for Action Pistol and the key was that everyone digs in and ranges, spots and helps put up targets and picks up brass. Nothing worse than seeing 50 blokes sit down and expect to have the match run for them, I went to one club in the hills and saw the culture there...sit back and chat while 2 people do all the work. I was a guest so I pitched in but man I wanted to shout out to those leeches to get off their butts and help out but I held my tongue..never went back there btw.

dan38ppc
(Login dan38ppc)

ppc

No score for this post
December 7 2017, 4:37 PM 

howdy,
as you can see, not much interest here. your best bet, would go to the nra website, and see what ppc events might be in your area. you might find something in driving distance. my driving is 2 1/2 to 4 hrs to shoot ppc. good luck, have fun, be safe.....dan

kcken
(Login kcken)

Re: ppc

No score for this post
January 24 2018, 2:03 PM 

Finally got back on the forum - could not get through for awhile. Anyway, check with the NRA Action Pistol division about getting PPC matches Sanctioned for Civilians. We have been doing it here in the Kansas City area for a little over 2 years - average turnout is 10-15 shooters per match. Hardly any LE ever show up. We conducted LEAD Sanctioned PPC matches for many years and I could count the number of LE on 1 hand. So, too much paperwork for no support from the shooters.

Give Civilian PPC 1500 a try.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement