<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Problems with bullets

January 23 2018 at 10:27 PM
No score for this post
Remington 148 wadcutters  (Login Twister1969)

I just received my order of Remington 148 wadcutter, and I'm having nothing but problems with misfires. I was loading Zero 148 wad cutters previously with no problems. I get 1 or 2 squib rounds every cylinder full. I have no problems with the double ended wad cutters I'm loading now.I don't know how to fix this problem other than ditching these bullets. Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dave.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(Login x-cop)

Problems with bullets

No score for this post
January 25 2018, 9:55 AM 

I am going to assume these are "not your" reloads and factory ammo. If this is correct, you need to increase the tension on your mainspring for a harder hit.Remington primers are pretty hard. If you are set up for Federal primers definitely need to do this. Check the gun for end shake too. Is it a total misfire or a squib that just barely exits the bbl?

Unregistered Member
(Login Twister1969)

Re: Problems with bullets

No score for this post
January 25 2018, 3:53 PM 

These are Remington wadcutter Bullets that I reloaded. I was reloading Zero wadcutter Bullets when these showed up. I started using the Remington Bullets, same powder charge, same primers. When I had reloaded 100, I took all my stuff to the range to try out the new Bullets. First cylinder, squib loads, didn’t make it out the end of the barrel. This went on for several cylinders, when I decided to go back to my original zero loads. Not one squib load in several cylinders. I think the oily bullet lube used on the Remington Bullets has fouled the powder causing the squib loads. Does anyone have an idea what can be done to make these Bullets usable? Thanks for your help, Dave.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Problems with bullets

No score for this post
January 25 2018, 8:55 PM 

Dave, I have used these bullets for years and never had a problem unless my powder measure did not drop the correct amount. These bullets are a little larger than Zero, mike out around.359-.360. They without doubt have shot the tightest groups from my gun and others that we have machine rested.
What type of powder measure are you using? Are you double checking dropped charges, at least every 10th one? Maybe everyone since you are having problems. What powder are you using. Make sure your bbl is clean and clear of anything.
In my opinion, not the bullets, but the powder charge and or your measure not dropping any powder and just the primer pushing it down the bbl. This is the classic problem.
I assume you are using same powder you did for your Zero loads. How are you storing the powder, how old is it? Same canister or different batch?
One other suggestion, try some different powder and see if you still get squibs.

Remington 148 wadcutters
(Login Twister1969)

No score for this post
January 25 2018, 10:51 PM 

JB, thanks for the reply.I'm using the same powder, Bullseye, that I was using for the Zero bullets. I stopped loading the Zero bullets when the UPS driver showed up with the Remington bullets, and started loading them. The powder didn't set for months on the shelf waiting for the Remington bullets to show up. After loading 100 of them, I went to the range to try them out. At least one squib round per cylinder, for several cylinders. The Zero bullets loaded on the same day, same powder measure, same powder charge, not one misfire. I would also like to add I have never seen the type of oily bullet lube used on the Remington bullets since I've been loading for over 30 years. If I had the same problems with the Zero bullets, I would look into a different powder.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Problems with bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 12:20 PM 

Interesting!! Again what is the "measure" you are using, and what is the amount(2.7?)B.E. will stack if left in the measure. You have been loading for 30 years, so no novice. I just got some of these bullets in and loaded some up with absolutely no problems. They are lubed with same nasty stuff they been using for years, but never a problem. I guess something could be contaminating the powder, and that means the lube would have to be running down onto the charge. Wish I were close, would love to see what you have. I still would try some other powder if it were me. If you figure it out let me know. My email is jbcustom-leather@att.net

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 12:32 AM 

The more important question is; Where is he getting the Remington 148gr HBWCs???? I haven’t seen those available in years.

Remington 148 wadcutters
(Login Twister1969)

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 5:06 AM 

They're available from Midway USA. You have to buy them in lots of 2000.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Problems with Bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 12:31 PM 

Midway is out of stock, just checked. My distributor just got some in. I can get them for $175.99 for a limited time dropped shipped to you if interested, this includes the shipping. This is best price since last time.

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

Re: Problems with Bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 5:50 PM 

How many bullets does $175 get you?

JB
(Login x-cop)

Remington Bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 8:06 PM 

This is a case price 2000, only way I can get them

Hutch
(Login TJA1987)

Remmington 148 bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 7:36 PM 

I am interested in Remmington 148 HBWC. Can you put me in touch with your distributor or do I go thru you.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Reminton Bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 8:07 PM 

You will need to go thru me. They sell to FFL only

JB
(Login x-cop)

Remington bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 8:11 PM 

And you have to have an account with them. They had a special going. Normally I get $210 for them incl shipping. There is a $5 drop ship fee also in addition. If you need or want some let me know as soon as possible and you can send me a check and I will have them hold some at that price.

Hutch
(Login TJA1987)

Problem bullets

No score for this post
January 26 2018, 7:24 PM 

I was just reading your message about Rem. HBWC bullet heads. You reported misfires and squib loads. These are completely different things. Or,are you having both? I also recently received 2000 Rem. bullets. I just went out and looked a mine and see no lube inside the hollow base and very little on the bottom edge. I'm with JB, I doubt that the lube is the problem. Try this. Prepare about 20 cases (resize/deprime, flare mouth/insert new primer/ hand measure and add powder) Then add the bullet, hand seat and crimp. This will insure that you have sufficient powder to accurately fire the round. If it doesn't work, then the only thing it could be is powder that has somehow become contaminated.

Remington 148 wadcutters
(Login Twister1969)

Re: Problem bullets

No score for this post
January 28 2018, 12:26 PM 

Thanks for all the replies. I think I used the wrong term misfired. The bullets actually fired, but we're stuck in the barrel. I was using Winchester WST powder, and had nothing but problems. I switched to Bullseye powder, and all bullets fired. I hope the change of powder has solved my problems, now my only complaint is the messy bullet lube. Thanks, Dave.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Problem bullets

No score for this post
January 28 2018, 1:06 PM 

Dave, I am curious now, what powder charge were you using with the WST? Unless it is contaminated should have no problems with WST.
The bullet lube is a dry graphite base and can be messy, but the accuracy makes up for that in my opinion. "If " lube imbeds itself in the bore under heat, may even be a plus.

Remington 148 wadcutters
(Login Twister1969)

Re: Problem bullets

No score for this post
January 28 2018, 7:37 PM 

I was using 2.7 WST. The bullet lube on my bullets is not a dry graphite based lube. It is a black oily substance. Its actually wet to the touch, that why I thought it could be contaminating the powder. There's nothing dry about this lube. In all the time I've been reloading, I've never run across bullet lube like this.

JB
(Login x-cop)

problem bullets

No score for this post
January 28 2018, 9:17 PM 

2.7 WST is good load, should work fine. You are saying no problems with BE now. Suggest you try what Hutch suggested and don't use your powder measure and weigh them out. Load up with the Remington's and see what happens. "Again", what kind of measure are you using???
The lube is a dry graphite base, but you are right it is sticky nasty stuff.
Smell your powder and if smells acidity possibly bad or contaminated.
The load data is good, so can only be the powder or powder measure acting goofy. If it is a Dillon they will act up and dump light loads with some powders, especially if dirty.

Unregistered Member
(Login Twister1969)

148 Remington wadcutter

No score for this post
January 29 2018, 2:00 PM 

I’m reloading these Bullets on my Dillon reloader. The WST powder that wouldn’t work with these Bullets works fine with my Zero wadcutter Bullets. Same charge, 2.7 .

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement