<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go back to the Main Page  

Researching panic attacks and hyperventilation

May 10 2011 at 4:17 PM
Joyce WW  (Login joyceww)

Anybody with experience with these problems? It's been an occasional problem for me in the last six months. I guess I have been dealing with too many medical issues. On Easter I felt kind of wobbly even though I had been feeling well and enjoying being off the oxygen and the IV antibiotics. Anyhow on Easter I checked my temp, pulse ox and finally blood pressure. At that point I was starting to panic and the blood pressure was higher than ever before. So I ended up back in the hospital for 24 hours with no problems after all. So I am determined to avoid panic and not end up in the emergency room for nothing. Last night I woke up with some panic and hyperventilating that I had trouble controlling. Usually sitting up and reading can calm me down and let me sleep but I didn't get much sleep last night and still felt somewhat woozy when I got up this morning.

So I am putting a paper bag to breathe into near my bed and reading directions about controlling hyperventilation.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
judi z.
(no login)

Re: Researching panic attacks and hyperventilation

May 10 2011, 5:17 PM 

You've been through quite an ordeal, and while you may think you sort of sailed through it (and in a way, you did), the stress may be catching u with you There is an actual syndrome called GAD or Generalized Anxiety Disorder that sounds like what you might be dealing with. I'd speak with your physician, and see if something like Xanax (there's a very cheap generic) might be something for you to have on hand when this happens.

Respond to this message   
Joyce WW
(Login joyceww)

May 10 2011, 5:36 PM 

Thanks, Judi. Perhaps I do need to take something though I wish there were something I could take only when needed.

Respond to this message   
judi z.
(no login)

May 10 2011, 6:05 PM 

That's what Xanax is for--it's 'take as needed' and it's rather mild--doesn't make you groggy or dopey.

Respond to this message   
Joyce WW
(Login joyceww)

May 10 2011, 7:36 PM 

That sounds good Judi. I'll call my doctor soon.

Respond to this message   
Gardenista
(no login)

May 10 2011, 8:55 PM 

I started hyperventilating some years ago and didn't even know that's what was happening. Taking an anti/anxiety anti/depressent (at the time, Welbutrin) cured my problem. Xanax just puts me to sleep so I don't use that but it works well for others.

Respond to this message   
HarleyLady
(no login)

May 11 2011, 12:47 AM 

I occasionally have anxiety attacks caused by my antidepressant and I take Xanax when it hits me. It's not often but the Xanax quickly relieves the symptoms and when an attack happens at night, just half a pill helps me get to/back to sleep. But if you get a prescription for it, be careful as it can be very addictive/habit forming for some people.

Respond to this message   
Cat
(no login)

May 10 2011, 10:08 PM 

Judi has wise words. Talk to your dr. and see if they can help with the panic attacks and also talk to a pharmacists to make sure that none of the meds you are currently on cause anxiety. I hope you can get relief!!

Respond to this message   
Joaniescountrygarden
(no login)

I think panic attacks are more common then the general public realizes.

May 11 2011, 4:43 AM 

My husband has had them periodically and the first time I seen him go through one years ago it scared me because I thought he was having a heart attack. He said that's what it felt like. Like you he has admitted himself into emergency thinking that what was happening and was told it was a panic attack.
A friend of his also has them and he's well aware of what they are when they come on and mentally tries to control it but he's also the kind of guy that takes massive doses of cinnamon for his diabetes control. :-/

If there is a drug to be taken as needed that is a good solution.
Cat's suggestion on studying what the side effects are with other drug combinations is good advice.

Respond to this message   
gardeningmule...
(no login)

Re: I think panic attacks are more common then the general public realizes.

May 11 2011, 10:03 AM 

i started having panic attacks where my heart would race and i knew this wasn't a heart attack...

it started about two weeks after the gun shot and

well i went to my doctor about it...i was using valium 5 mil...when need...cheap and they help...and don't put my lights out like a xanax does.....he also gave me some samples of busbar....but i haven't gotten into them as the five mil. valium worked fine for me..

my daughter started having them after a hellaciously bad car wreck...

i think any kind of major trauma can bring them on...

yu've been thru some major trauma's.....good luck in your search in what works best for you...

busbar
xanax
valium

hmmm what else is out there these days...

sometimes i cut a 5 mil. valium in 1/2....call your doctor and let him take the lead...and if one doesn't work or you are falling asleep....try try again...

and if it's a bad one..don't hesitate to go to the emergency room...better to always be safe than sorry!

mulie

Respond to this message   
patiann
(no login)

May 11 2011, 11:09 AM 

i used to get them when i was going thru chemo and all that 9 years ago.
never had them before, and didnt have any since stopping the majority of the medications I had to take.
Now, since starting radiation/chemo again.. its started all over again.
I think what docs chaulked up tp be panic attack is directly related to the meds I take.
or, a reaction to my body having to deal with all this crap.

it can be so unpleasant! espescially if i am home alone.. to try and breathe thru it..
I try and rock myself into being calmer.

i wish peace for you J.

hugs!

Respond to this message   
Joyce WW
(Login joyceww)

May 11 2011, 11:12 AM 

I went to the doctor this morning. He prescribed generic ativan and celexa. He said that the Ativan is to take as needed and the Celexa to start with half a pill and to take long term for a cure. I am happy to have hope of relief.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Gardenista
(no login)

May 11 2011, 6:14 PM 

I use generic Celexa now. Some years ago I tried going off the Welbutrin and ended up in trouble. Pretty awful. The "celexa" works for me. In a perfect world, none of us would need any medication. Good luck for achieving the equilibrium that works for your body, joyce.

Respond to this message   
Joyce WW
(Login joyceww)

May 11 2011, 6:53 PM 

Years ago I tried Wellbutrim to stop smoking. It caused me to hyperventilate and barely be able to go up stairs and even after only using a partial dose for three days I had withdrawal symptoms too. So I would never be able to use that again. I think that is the med they gave my mother to get her off the cigarettes and she had visions of monsters climbing up the curtains. Must be a family thing.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
patiann
(no login)

May 12 2011, 4:21 AM 

Imentioned my hot flashes to the onc today.. he recomended celexa.
It must be the latest/greatest.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Go back to the Main Page  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement