Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Oldest Baseball Card

June 22 2006 at 10:29 PM
Sean  (Login JordanAndCompany)

im new here and im hearing that 1863 Jordan & Co. are the first baseball cards you know the 4 card set but then some people dont consider thats a baseball card they think a Cartes De visite isnt a baseball car which that it is i need some help here these cards are the oldest baseball cards that i have ever found are these really the oldest baseball cards? if not tell me if there are other ones and if you have links to the website where you found it that would help and is the 1863 "Grand Match At Hoboken" Benefit card Of Harry Wright really a baseball card or not? thanks

This message has been edited by JordanAndCompany on Jun 22, 2006 11:10 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

David McDonald
(Login Kawika_o_ka_Pakipika)

Re: Oldest Baseball Card

June 22 2006, 10:38 PM 

Sean
(Login JordanAndCompany)

June 22 2006, 10:44 PM 

i dont get it what am i supposed to do in it

i get it now just because i dont have good grammar it means you have to find a website for me I HATE GRAMMAR im only in 6th Grade

This message has been edited by JordanAndCompany on Jun 23, 2006 10:09 AM

davidcycleback
(Login drc1)

June 23 2006, 12:02 AM 

The Hoboken Match is generally not considered a baseball card, as it was used as a ticket or pass. There are other Hoboken cards, but it is no known that the folks pictured are baseball players. They may have been cricket players.

This message has been edited by drc1 on Jun 23, 2006 12:05 AM

Bobby
(Login Bresdo)

ha

June 23 2006, 1:07 AM 

David,

Way over Sean's head it's to easy. I really like it though.

Cobby33
(Login Cobby33)

June 23 2006, 1:41 AM 

Tough crowd.

davidcycleback
(Login drc1)

June 23 2006, 1:57 AM 

A kid doing a school paper once asked me what was the oldest baseball card. Assuming he didn't want to hear baseball card classification theory, I said it was the 1869 Peck & Snyder Reds.

Jason
(Login leinbergeranz)

Mr. McDonald,...There is biting wit,

June 23 2006, 8:16 AM 

and then there is a great sense of humor
You sir, have both!

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

my vote 1868 Atlantics

June 23 2006, 8:43 AM 

The first baseball card, to me, is the 1868 Atlantics card...The first professional card is the 1869 Peck and Snyder Team card, as they were all paid. This is very "relative" and everyone has their own opinion. The other ticket-cards etc...could be cards to some folks, but not me. Best regards

edited to add "See mom- Did you notice all of the punctuation I used?"

This message has been edited by leonl on Jun 23, 2006 9:00 AM

Hal Lewis
(Login HalleyGator)

June 23 2006, 9:38 AM 

I have a card from 1861-64 that features Henry Chadwick standing alongside members of the Brooklyn Resolutes and the Philadelphia Athletics from the National Association of Baseball Players.

I like to think of this card as the first baseball card...

but I can understand why the Peck & Snyders are "more" like cards since they have advertising on the back.

jackgoodman
(Login ocjack)

June 23 2006, 9:51 AM 

Hey Bobby,

Before you make fun of Sean, It's "too" easy would have been the better way to go.

Just kidding around with you. Please no flames.

Jack

Jordan And Company
(Login JordanAndCompany)

June 23 2006, 10:06 AM 

Hal Lewis do you have pictures for that Henry Chadwick card? that would be very useful if you do if you dont try to get some thanks.

This message has been edited by JordanAndCompany on Jun 23, 2006 10:07 AM

Jordan And Company
(Login JordanAndCompany)

June 23 2006, 10:06 AM 

and im new here and why am i being make fun of im only 11 years old

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

Sean

June 23 2006, 10:22 AM 

Welcome aboard. I have a daughter that is 9. Don't worry about us old guys....we're mostly harmless. You, my little friend, are the next, next generation of vintage baseball card collectors. For the record there are many adults that don't write as well as you do. Keep on posting on our board....I will make sure us old guys don't upset you too much.....This is fair warning guys......

Corey R. Shanus
(Login benjulmag)

June 23 2006, 10:34 AM 

If it's a Peck & Synder we're calling the first baseball card, then I would think the honor would go to the P&S Jim Creighton, as it probably predates the Atlantics by a good several years. If it's CDVs, then it would be the Brooklyn Atlantics, which dates to 1860 or 1861. The Resolutes/Philadelphia (which also has in the image Henry Chadwick) that Hal refers to most likely dates to around 1864.

This message has been edited by benjulmag on Jun 23, 2006 10:37 AM

Bob Pomilla
(Login BrickyardKennedy)

Oldest Baseball Card

June 23 2006, 10:38 AM 

Hey Sean,
If you stick with this forum, you'll notice wrong usages of the words there, their, they're, site, sight, to, too, et al., and some of us are decades older than you, So don't let it throw you. You'll also find a wealth of information, so stay with it, my friend.

V117Collector
(Login V117Collector)

June 23 2006, 10:51 AM 

Sean,

Don't worry about any comments that might offend you, it's kinda like elementary school (very immature), but it's fun to read' to see what people have to say!

Jordan And Company
(Login JordanAndCompany)

June 23 2006, 12:04 PM 

thanks guys but i still need that picture or pictures that refers to Hal Lewis's Card it will be really cool and nice if you get me a picture of it thanks guys bye

Jordan And Company
(Login JordanAndCompany)

June 23 2006, 12:09 PM 

hey corey could you get me that picture of that 1860 to 1861 Card that would be very helpful if you do i just need those 2 pictures because i thought the 1863 Jordan And Co Were the oldest cards and the card that refers to Hal if its really 1864 than Jordan And Co would be older than that card so

.Just get me those 2 pics that i want

.and is that card really from 1864 i need the exact date okay

Thank You Very much Guys You Rock

oh yea whats the year of that Peck And SNyder Jim Creignton Card or whatever was his last name i need to know that too imi only 11 so i dont know alot about this 1860's baseball cards

This message has been edited by JordanAndCompany on Jun 23, 2006 12:32 PM

E, Daniel
(Login flinchfree)

Sorry, but Jordan and Company

June 23 2006, 12:31 PM 

is no 11 year old.
Poor grammar absolutely, but his writing uses stream of consciousness that doesn't fit at all with an eleven year old's processes and writing methodology.
His word choices and sentence construction point to a semi-literate adult, or immigrant with only a passing aquaintance with the school system.

No snobbery here, just don't like impostors.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index