Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

The 2006 National

July 27 2006 at 2:38 AM
ErikV  (Login ErikV)

I just got back from Wednesday's "Sneak Peek" at the National. Don't know what anyone else thought, but I was a bit disappointed with the show. The show itself was smaller than the previous Anaheim National (in 2000). LOTS of new glossy/shiney stuff. Many tables selling non-sports related memorabilia (ie football helmets, jerseys, movie posters, etc). There were even a handful of empty tables.

Attendance was light. However, I did hear several dealers comment that they were pleased with their sales thus far. The autograph section seemed to be busy. At one point they were turning people away due to time constraints.

The corporate booths had several nice displays. Sotheby's had a nice group of T4's which will be featured in their upcoming October auction.

PSA had the McNall/Gretsky PSA 8 Honus Wagner card on display.

I think it was American Memoribila had a 1930's Babe Ruth jersey on display which will be going up on their next auction.

I also saw the group of Old Judge cards from the "Indianapolis Find." I was amazed at the condition of the cards! (Many of the cards had excellent clarity and rich color.)

There was plenty of 50's, 60's and 70's (and newer) baseball cards.

There was a decent amount of pre-war cards including T206. Saw a few T210's and T222's. Not much in the way of PCL.

I met a number of Net54 members and did take some pics. (I'll try to have them posted by the weekend.) I'm hoping the show warms up some as the weekend approaches!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cobby33
(Login Cobby33)

Re: The 2006 National

July 27 2006, 3:04 AM 

Erik-
Thanks for the update. Please see my email. Thanks.

Bob
(Login tbob)
Registered Users

July 27 2006, 11:31 AM 

Thanks Erik, keep the reports coming!

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)

Here in Anaheim too.........

July 27 2006, 12:09 PM 

and I think he was almost too polite on the assessment. Other than Terry Knouse and Brockelman/Luckey tables there are sparse pickins on vintage stuff out here. On one side, there were at least 20-25 booths that weren't occupied. I think that so much goes to auction that it's really hurting the show. Also.....whoever the BONEHEADS are that schedule the National the same week as the HOF inductions, need to wise up if they want this show to continue (or return to) being a profitable venture for all.

All the dealers I talked to were having good shows although they said most all they'd sold was prior to the doors opening. Anyway, guess it'll wind up in more sightseeing time in San Diego on Fri/Sat.......

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

response

July 27 2006, 12:36 PM 

If they sold most of their stuff before the doors opened that just means they were selling to each other. Those don't count as real retail sales.

Cobby33
(Login Cobby33)

July 27 2006, 12:44 PM 

And it probably means that stuff is still out there, just at a different table (hopefully).

peter ullman
(Login ullmandds)

July 27 2006, 12:47 PM 

...just at a different table...and at a higher price...right?

pete in mn

J Levine
(Login Wite3)

My National Report

July 27 2006, 12:50 PM 

Got there a little early and waited in line until I was frustrated and left my friends in line and went into the show around 3:30. Glad I did as I did find a few friendly dealers and one major find for me. I also got to meet Leon, Scott, Bill, Bruce, and a few others in person.

Ran into Roger Neufeldt who had a nice selection of stuff including a section marked "ungradeable and priced to sell." Sitting among the stuff was a T205 Kleinow that PSA rejected for being "short/shaved edge." If it was, it was a master job because the card is beautiful and fit nicely into my collection esp. for the $25 price tag!!!!! Now I just need two Hobblitzells and the darn Wilhelm upgrade.

Here is what a lot of digging and searching got me for my $300 on the first day. No scans yet...

T205s Kleinow, Harmon 1 ear, and a fact. 25
2 1909 Obaks super beat with tape and trimming, and stains.
1 1911 Obak low grade but presentable
1 1953 Dixie Lid Premium Connie Ryan (from Trevor's table eventhough he was not there at the time...)
1 Globe Clothing card Phillie w. a punch hole
1 E126 low grade
1 E120 mid grade
1 E220 low grade
1 PCL Popcorn card low grade
1 E93 Ames low grade

$9 Parking

Looking forward to more time at the show today and seeing more Net54 friends.

Joshua

Mark Holt
(Login mark927)

July 27 2006, 12:53 PM 

Thanks for the write ups guys....those of us (supposedly) working enjoy the reads...

jP
(Login T207)

Those going to the National, can you help ?

July 27 2006, 1:23 PM 

Thanks for the updates guys. I really thought i was going to be able to go to this years national but doesnt look that way. My young son is home with me this summer.

****** IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO LOOK FOR FRANK ARELLANES (sometimes spelled Arrelanes) CARDS FOR ME I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT , IM ESPECIALLY LOOKING FOR HIS 1911 T212 OBAK AND ZEENUTS FROM 1911-1917. D310, T204,HOMERUN KISSES. I HAVE DONE A FEW TRANSACTIONS WITH SOME MEMBERS HERE WITH NO PROBLEMS I ASSURE I AM GOOD FOR IT, THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Bobby
(Login Bresdo)

Some pix

July 27 2006, 3:21 PM 

Chad
(Login one-in-ten)

Tell us what we want to know!

July 27 2006, 3:25 PM 

What's Mr. Mint wearing? Eating? Did any of you sell him your cards?

Aw, just kidding. I'm just jealous I'm not there. Hope you guys are having fun.

--Chad

Bob
(Login tbob)
Registered Users

July 27 2006, 3:38 PM 

What's the attendance like now that it has reached Thursday? From all reports so far it sounds like I was better off taking the cost of the airline ticket, motel and meals bills, Dodger tickets and parking and car rental, etc. and spending it for cards on ebay and BST. I hate that there is such slim pickings on prewar cards and that the PCL stuff like Obaks, Zeenuts, Bakery cards, etc. is almost nonexistent...

jackgoodman
(Login ocjack)

July 27 2006, 3:39 PM 

Did pass by Mr. Mint's table and yes he was sitting there with some people and eating. Strangely, no show cases and apparently nothing to sell (I left before the evening officially started, so that may have changed). Guess he just gets to sit in front of the main door and grab people coming in with boxes and bags. Sure hope they are at least charging him an excessive table fee for the privilege.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

crowd

July 27 2006, 3:56 PM 

Bobby's pictures reveal a very thin crowd. If they were taken Wednesday, it's to be expected. But if that's Thursday's crowd it's not very encouraging.

Bobby
(Login Bresdo)

pic

July 27 2006, 4:19 PM 

We will be putting up some more picture from today those where yesterday. Crowds are heavier today.

Alan
(Login Jewish-collector)

July 27 2006, 7:06 PM 

If the crowds don't come tomorrow and Saturday, there won't be a next time for the national there !!!

JimB
(Login E93)

July 27 2006, 9:27 PM 

I thought there was a pretty good selection of pre-war stuff. There were a lot more caramels this year than in the past. THough they are expensive, at least they are there. I remember even six or seven years ago not finding a single E93 card. I guess the high prices have more people ready to sell.
JimB

quan
(Login quannimir)

hey tbob

July 27 2006, 9:48 PM 

there were quite a few caramels out there, i saw plenty of e90-1 commons, e92s, a few nice midgrade e93s (EX+ pastorius, leach, etc), and even ur favorite e94s and e98s. most of the action was at wayne varner's table, but there were others spread out.

Brett
(Login HistoryofBaseballFan)
Chatlist

July 27 2006, 10:15 PM 

Hey J Levine,

Thinking of selling that e93 Ames ?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index