Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

The T206 Honus Wagner has been removed!

August 11 2006 at 2:37 PM
DJ  (Login OJ-Collector)

Just in...Honus is gone.

This listing (#250015375445) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.

Now what does that mean for the owners and more importantly, the HBO people?

DJ

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

John S
(Login Burgher)

Re: The T206 Honus Wagner has been removed!

August 11 2006, 2:40 PM 

Definitely a step in the right direction.

Russ Bright
(Login ambrosia2)

Good news!

August 11 2006, 2:47 PM 

This is definately a good thing for the hobby, but leaves me asking one question...

What's HBO going to do now? Continue with the episode about this card?

Joann
(Login jmk59)

August 11 2006, 2:52 PM 

Good for ebay. But the Connelly's are still hanging in there, "not purporting to authenticate this card" but still looking for the consignment fee on $300K+. So I think HBO still has a story, but I'm sure they would much rather have been able to refer to ebay since so many viewers could get there and find it via search. Much more cumbersome to have to provide URL's or help people figure out how to get to it.

J

Kenneth A. Cohen
(Login kcohen_gaohong)

Bogus Wagner(s)

August 11 2006, 2:55 PM 

I, most certainly among others, reported the auction to Ebay for violation of the authenicity disclaimer policy. This may or may not have contributed to its removal as I also signalled auction#110017694073, where the seller states "I cannot assure someone it is not a reprint..." For whatever reason, Ebay has declined to de-list that one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&item=110017694073&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Could it be that Ebay doesn't bother because the bogus Wagner game is so old now that no one gets sucked in anymore?

Ken

Chad
(Login one-in-ten)

You're all wrong

August 11 2006, 2:58 PM 

Paris Hilton bought the card as a present for her chauffeur and auction was voluntarily closed! You heard it from me first.

--Chad

Max Weder
(Login baseballart)
Chatlist

It often happens...

August 11 2006, 3:05 PM 

If you don't get a bid in early, all the good sales happen off-ebay.

davidcycleback
(Login drc1)

August 11 2006, 3:06 PM 

This message has been edited by drc1 on Aug 13, 2006 3:00 AM

Corey R. Shanus
(Login benjulmag)

August 11 2006, 3:19 PM 

I'm a little confused. When I go to Connelly's website (www.bobconnelly.com), he still lists the card. When I click on the link to eBay live, I see the card is still listed there. It seems to me then that the card has not been removed, or am I doing something wrong?

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

Corey

August 11 2006, 3:41 PM 

Try it again. I just went to their site and hit every link I could and it's not there anymore. You possibly could have had the link stuck in your browser somehow. Also, if you go to ebay and put the # in you can see it's gone. Good for ebay for doing this. They only lost the listing fee which is $5-$10...as no way would this sale have ever fully happened. I guess Connelly's estimate of 850k is still sticking though. If it's worth 850k then I guess my fake '28 Ruth Candy Company cards should be worth at least several thousand. Maybe I'll send them all of my fake pieces of crap to auction....nah, it's better to keep them for comparisons sake....

joe brennan
(Login 2dueces)

August 11 2006, 3:53 PM 

I found the perfect site to sell that bridge I've been wanting to get rid of. In the early 70's I had a ton of swamp land in Florida to sell and finally unloaded it on some dupe named Disney. I wonder what he did with that land?

People said it was a million dollar wound. But the government must keep that money, cause I ain't never seen a penny of it.

Corey R. Shanus
(Login benjulmag)

August 11 2006, 3:55 PM 

Thanks Leon. I just tried it again and I see it's been removed now.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

question

August 11 2006, 4:09 PM 

The question now is do the two owners finally accept the fact that it is fake, or do they think ebay pulled it because they were black?

Anonymous
(Login sesop)

iran

August 11 2006, 4:15 PM 

maybe it wasn't pulled because they're black or because its fake. maybe its perfectly real, but iranian hackers (who had firsthand evidence that the card was very real) have such disdain for our capitalist system that they couldn't bear to see a small piece of cardboard sell for so much money. that being the case they hijacked the websites and removed the wagner. why hasn't anyone suspected iran's involvement in this debacle?

This message has been edited by sesop on Aug 11, 2006 4:16 PM

jay behrens
(Login sabrjay)

August 11 2006, 4:18 PM 

I think Opus Dei is behind it.

Jay

A good friend will come bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn, that was fun."

ScottIngold
(Login aloof1003)

August 11 2006, 4:41 PM 

Mensa ?

Larry
(Login painthistorian)

Wow, maybe e bay listened

August 11 2006, 4:56 PM 

Just for those that did the same as I, getting e bay notified as to this crazy listing, I think we all deserve to be commended. Now we should not waste anymore time or effort on this horrible and ridiculous "sports moment".

Last Night, I contacted the e bay trust and safety dept via e mail and phone, and I also contacted my representative, and I forwarded e mail documentation of "authentic graded" Wagners and this one, it was very obvious this auction was ludacrous.

Maybe it helped, maybe they already received so much flack, somebody blinked, but for all those that agree that this was one of the most ingeneious and ridiculous attempts to gain notoriety, lets all say thank you for ridding us of one giant flea.

To all those that laughed and wondered about this episode like myself, we should also be thankful that e bay finally did do something positive for the sports card community.

davidcycleback
(Login drc1)

August 11 2006, 5:12 PM 

This message has been edited by drc1 on Aug 13, 2006 2:59 AM

John
(Login wonkaticket)

Hmmmmm could this be the work of the Dynamic Duo???

August 11 2006, 5:58 PM 

“Quick Wonder Mint! To the Type Card Cave!!!”

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

John

August 11 2006, 7:23 PM 

You're killin' me, man.....and the biggest problem is I bear a resemblance to him...ouch....but I could never be as flamboyant....He had on a purple coat and bright yellow glasses at the National. I almost asked him where is big red nose and big feet were....

edited to add my 9yr old looked at it and asked why I am skinny in that pic?

This message has been edited by leonl on Aug 11, 2006 7:26 PM

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index