Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Joe Gordon - HOF

December 8 2008 at 1:21 PM

jdrum  (Login hrbaker)

Just announced.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jodi Birkholm
(Login JBirkholm)

Re: Joe Gordon - HOF

December 8 2008, 1:30 PM 

Ridiculous. Might as well induct every other slightly above-average Yankee.

This message has been edited by JBirkholm on Dec 8, 2008 1:31 PM

Zinn
(Login Zinn6)

You may think I'm kidding but

December 8 2008, 1:33 PM 

I don't recall having heard of this guy.

J Levine
(Login Wite3)

December 8 2008, 1:37 PM 

Gordon? Really? Yuck...

Wow...a career .268 hitter!!

Most comparable stats according to baseball reference...
Jose Valentin (902)
Bret Boone (900)
Jorge Posada (891)
Adrian Beltre (890)
Vern Stephens (890)
Javy Lopez (890)
Bill Nicholson (889)
Doug DeCinces (883)
Ken Caminiti (881)
Kirk Gibson (880)

Sad...I was hoping Santo and Hodges might make it.

Joshua

Chris Counts
(Login ccmcnutt)

Joe Gordon - HOF

December 8 2008, 1:38 PM 

Oh, Boy ... get ready for the latest installment of the never-ending debate on the comparative merits of borderline Hall-0f-Famers. As always, I fall into the category that wants more ... and not less ... Hall-of-Famers. I guess I'm in the minority here. As for Joe Gordon, he was a solid, all-around player with excellent power, a good glove and a knack for playing on winning teams. I would have put about 12 or 14 other guys in Cooperstown first, but I really can't complain because I have few more Hall of Fame cards in my collection than I had yesterday ...

Matt
(Login MSW1)

December 8 2008, 1:40 PM 

He may be a product of guys like Ozzie Smith - once the Hall decided they would accept infielders who were great defensively and only average at the plate, they re-evaluated other such players they passed over. I think Omar Vizquel gets in, if Joe Gordon gets in.

John H.
(Login johnh19)

December 8 2008, 1:42 PM 

I don't think it's ridiculous. Gordon was a helluva player during a war shortened 11 year career who also contributed a monster year to a WS championship with Cleveland. He also won a MVP award in 1942, even though it should have gone to Williams who won the Triple Crown. I think Gordon's a guy who could have gone in a lot sooner.

James Feagin
(Login Orioles1954)

December 8 2008, 1:49 PM 

The Hall of "watered down".

Jodi Birkholm
(Login JBirkholm)

December 8 2008, 1:50 PM 

I always figured the Gordon-Vern Stephens comparison would spark heated debate between Yankees and BoSox fans, yet I heard no such conversation as each man was nominated this year. Both men were solid players, but neither deserves induction.

I ran into Gordon's daughter Judy many years ago. I had a signed GPC up on eBay, and she happened to see it and thought it was great to see her Dad's signature up for sale. Gordon was such a willing and prolific signer in his brief 63 years on this earth that there will never be a shortage of autographs out there. I will be curious to see what signed items will fetch in the next month. Premium items (single-signed ball, bat, quality photographs) will be sound investments, but cuts and 3X5s, as well as newspaper photos, are very common.

This message has been edited by JBirkholm on Dec 8, 2008 1:54 PM

Paul
(Login PaulPaulPaul)

December 8 2008, 2:06 PM 

I think Joe Gordon was the worst pick for MVP ever when he beat out Ted Williams in 1942, a year when Williams won the triple crown. I don't think he's a particularly deserving Hall of Famer either, but probably not the worst. I've heard comparisons to Doerr, who I also don't think is a particularly deserving Hall of Famer.

More to the subject of this Board, I've got a few post-war cards of him. Does anyone know what pre-war cards he has?

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

December 8 2008, 2:07 PM 

The bigger issue is: what is his rookie card?

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

Paul

December 8 2008, 2:12 PM 

I think I have seen some R303 cards of him....

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

December 8 2008, 2:12 PM 

I hope Beckett has enough oversized holders on hand to handle the flood of submissions of team-issued, photo-pack pictures they're about to receive.

Best double-play combo ever? E-mail for scans and Bump for price reduction

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

December 8 2008, 2:15 PM 

Heh...I didn't think I could get more infuriated today after hearing that Merrill Lynch's CEO recommended himself for a $10,000,000 bonus....

I was wrong. sad.gif

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

December 8 2008, 2:17 PM 

Amazingly enough not one single item appears in an ebay search yet for "Joe Gordon Rookie".

Matt
(Login MSW1)

December 8 2008, 2:22 PM 

His R303B is on eBay. Who is gonna grab it?

This message has been edited by MSW1 on Dec 8, 2008 2:22 PM

JimB
(Login E93)

December 8 2008, 2:22 PM 

Joe who???

Dan McHugh IV
(Login vintagehofrookies)

December 8 2008, 2:27 PM 

the 1st thing I did when I saw he got in was go to ebay and search for his RC but I also would like to know what it is? I will find out later when I go home,
Dan

Kevin Cummings
(Login kkkkandp)

Joe Gordon - HOF

December 8 2008, 2:28 PM 

I would hardly call him great defensively and to mention him in the same breath as Ozzie Smith to defend the pick as a "glove man" is a stretch. Compare their two sets of stats - Smith's were head-and-shoulders above his peers during his tenure; not Gordon's.

He did have some good home run and RBI totals for a second baseman, but nothing else about him really stands out other than his MVP award in 1942.

I'm a Yankee fan and I think this was a bad pick. I would much rather have seen Deacon White or Bill Dahlen have gotten in.

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

His Salutations Exhibit

December 8 2008, 2:29 PM 

The Yankees variation. Likely issued in 1939.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index