Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

March 2 2009 at 9:47 PM
Art M.  (Login rebelsart)

Not sure if anybody has posted about this recent find. Amazing pictures and article including unopened box and packs of Star Player candy cards including Walter Johnson (previously uncatalogued). Here is the link:

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/latest-sports-collecting-news/cache-of-1930s-unopened-wax-boxes-found.html

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

dennis
(Login DCWD)

Re: Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

March 2 2009, 9:55 PM 

this has to be the oldest "packs" find ever. thanks for posting.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

Re: Amazing find of unopened boxes (Star Player Candy, Tattoo orbits, many more)

March 2 2009, 9:57 PM 

As Jeff Prizner so eloquently says: "Dibs!"

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

March 2 2009, 10:12 PM 

Whoa!

bruce Dorskind
(Login Yankeefan51)

Amazing Find

March 2 2009, 10:19 PM 

Once again Robert Edward Auctions has proven itself to be the premiere source for the super rare
heretofore undiscovered and truly world class collectibles.

When one goes back before World War II, it is remarkable to realize how many great finds can be
attributed to the brilliant work of Sir Robert.

With a staff of two, he outsmarts "larger dealers' with 30 or 40 people, manages to uncover a plethora
of one of a kind collectibles and pays consignors in a a third of the time that his major competitors do.

Congratulations to Robert and his latest history making acheivement

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

peter ullman
(Login ullmandds)

March 2 2009, 10:40 PM 

that is amazing...reminds me of a candy distributor I used to go to as a kid when I visited my grandma on staten island. I'd buy unopened boxes of topps cards.and this was before you could just "buy unopened boxes of cards!"

Jantz
(Login Jantz)

Wow

March 2 2009, 11:10 PM 

Now thats an interesting find. I'll be curious to see some of the prices this stuff goes for.

Brad Green is going to hit the floor when he sees those Lefty discs.

Jantz

Edited because I could hear my english teacher's voice yelling at me.

This message has been edited by Jantz on Mar 2, 2009 11:12 PM

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

March 2 2009, 11:21 PM 

I don't like the way you guys are lusting after my cards!

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

Wow

March 2 2009, 11:53 PM 

Just Wow...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Bill Cornell
(Login bcornell)

March 3 2009, 1:47 AM 

I like how Rob is 'speechless', yet he finds the strength... Great stuff and a reason to keep going into attics.

Bill

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

March 3 2009, 6:27 AM 

Thanks a lot for outing this. happy.gif

Brad Green
(Login leftygrove10)

Lefty Grove Disks...

March 3 2009, 6:46 AM 

I am back up from "hitting the floor"... I call "dibs" on the Lefty Grove disks!

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

March 3 2009, 8:25 AM 

Brad,

Sorry. I had the first "dibs" post at 9:57 PM. I'll consider selleing you any dupes... Maybe.

Shawn
(Login smokelessjoe)

March 3 2009, 8:35 AM 

If you were to win "one" of the Babe Ruth Star Player cards still in the wrapper, would you leave it as is or would you take it out of the wrapper???

Can it be graded while sealed in this type of wrapper?

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Forum Owner

great find

March 3 2009, 9:01 AM 

Rob and I spoke about these a few days ago and they are truly great items. It's nice to see this kind of hoard in a somewhat pristine state. regards

Jeff Prizner
(Login Bicem)

March 3 2009, 9:22 AM 

cool find... and congrats on the pickup Jim!!!

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

March 3 2009, 9:59 AM 

Thanks Jeff,

At least someone understands "dibs".

I'm thinking of reselling these before I actually own them, by listing them on several different boards, at different prices.

As long as I have a couple of good business models, I might as well blend them together!

James Feagin
(Login Orioles1954)

March 3 2009, 10:08 AM 

If I currently had a Star Player Candy Ruth in my possession, my first thought would be "Sell! Sell! Sell!"

James

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

March 3 2009, 10:12 AM 

If I had four Ruth's...I'd keep one. I'd be tempted to open up the package and bust it loose too. If they've been valued at 20k, obviously putting four on the market is going to drop the value down some.

I'm wondering what the previously unknown Johnson will go for?

Jeff Lichtman
(Login calvindog)

March 3 2009, 10:23 AM 

I'd have a hard time opening up one of those packages. And for what it's worth, the value of the Ruth in NM will surely go down due to the sudden influx into the market of these examples. As someone who loves the Star Player Candy issue, I'm not sure I've ever seen a cooler find. Has there ever been a find of cards inside a pack with gum from an earlier date?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index