Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Laminated cards?

April 6 2009 at 5:19 PM

Dave F  (Login asphaltman76)

Last night I picked up what could either be a fun little project or a big headache. Anyone ever tried to remove laminated cards from the sheets? I'm guessing these have been this way for quite some time...don't know to what extent back in the day the laminate was done...? Would running a hot iron quickly over the area work to loosen it up?

http://sports.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=49041&Lot_No=41037

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Sean
(Login hanksta)

Re: Laminated cards?

April 6 2009, 5:33 PM 

Dave,
I'm thinking it might be a big headache...most ways of laminating involve a glue (activated by heat) or adhesive (cool laminating, which is pretty much 2 sheets of clear plastic with adhesive on both pieces).

The only way I could think of would be using heat to possibly take the sheets off, but it would probably leave a sticky residue that would probably not come off.

Sean

Dick Towle
(Login dicktowle)

laminated cards

April 6 2009, 5:38 PM 

I have removed 7 different type of laminated cards from paper- my company can do this- DON'T use a iron it will crack the surface GONE WITH THE STAIN STAINMAN

Frank Wakefield
(Login Greatwake)
Registered Users

April 6 2009, 5:38 PM 

Time to read about polar and non-polar solvents... Google "non-polar solvents" to get started.

Tinker with just a bit of it at first, so as to not screw up the entire bunch at once.

Go slow with it. Patience. A bit of softening, plus pulling, equals tearing. So SLOW...

Take digital photos as you go, so you can post back here, please!

Wish you well with it. FW

S Gross
(Login mybuddyinc)

April 7 2009, 12:20 AM 

Dave,
Nice pick-up !!
If my math is correct, you have you're in at just a little over $10/card. You could probably make a small profit just selling them individually as is.

They don't look like they are hot pressed sandwich laminated, but rather shellacked. So, as Frank indicated, it's just finding the right solvent to remove shellac, and not messing up card's natural gloss.

Good luck, Scott

davidcycleback
(Login dereb12)

April 7 2009, 1:25 AM 

My guess is that you won't be able to remove the laminate, and that you're going to have to accept the pages as is.

This message has been edited by dereb12 on Apr 7, 2009 1:31 AM

Robert {Bigb13}
(Login Bigb13)

April 8 2009, 11:59 AM 

Hello guys, I have a Ford Red Hindu with laminate on both sides do you think it can be removed? Rob

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index