Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

JB
(Login jbbama)

Re: Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009, 1:36 PM 

Yes....... very Bush league! That has got to violate some ebay policy (lord knows they have plenty).

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

April 15 2009, 1:36 PM 

I hope Heritage will not accept the $100 from the bidder.

Alan
(Login Jewish-collector)

April 15 2009, 2:08 PM 

Are their catalogs not free ???

quan
(Login quannimir)

April 15 2009, 2:09 PM 

heritage will tell the dude not to send payment and send him a free catalog. the only problem is you might get some upset bidders thinking they got a bargain and leave a neg. other than that, if i was a consignor i'd be real happy my lots are getting extra exposure...don't see what the big deal is.

Jimmy
(Login boxingbaseballgolf33)

Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009, 2:44 PM 

I really try not to push it with my listings, so most of my website info is on the the about me page and a link. I have a few others things that I have tried, but this example seems overboard. I have found ways around the eBay crazy policies, but if eBay is specific on some rules they will delete the listing. The Heritage listing is borderline, I wish I could do more - advertise more of what I have outside of eBay too, but I started this hobby with eBay and respect there wishes.

Jimmy

packs
(Login packs)

April 15 2009, 2:48 PM 

Why do you guys let yourselves get upset about this? Especially with all the eBay complaints.

This message has been edited by packs on Apr 15, 2009 2:56 PM

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 3:31 PM 

I don't think anyone is really "upset." I do think it's surprising when a major auction house is this blatant about a questionable business practice.

Mark
(Login bmarlowe1)

April 15 2009, 4:02 PM 

It doesn't surprise me - it's a somewhat different subject, but see thread from a few days back

http://tiny.cc/Op9MU

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Network 54 Moderator

Mark

April 15 2009, 4:10 PM 

I know you have a "thing" about ears.... but in fairness to them the Jackson look alike is not a slam dunk for it NOT being him, in my somewhat novice opinion. When I asked them about the photo they gave some compelling evidence to support their claim. It might not be him but I am not 100% sure....I am not even 70% sure it's not him...And yes, I have heard, and read, all sides of the argument.

As for this marketing of their auction, if I am not mistaking they have done this ebay listing type advertising many times before. If I were a consignor I would be happy. I also don't think they will take someone's $100 for a catalog, when it's an obvious mistake the bidder is making. Yes, they have a banner on this site but I am being as unbiased as I can in my response here.....best regards

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 15 2009, 4:14 PM 

Well, I don't know about advertising, but you know those Somali pirates? I heard they fly a Heritage Auctions flag on their boats.

Mark
(Login bmarlowe1)

April 15 2009, 4:16 PM 

They have no truly compelling evidence it's Jackson - if so let them present it. Actually all they need do is find one confirmed photo of Jackson with "small ears" like the guy in the photo they are presenting - from any angle, distance - whatever they want.

They won't because they can't - non exist.

As to me having a "thing" about ears - I'm in good company. You can include the CIA, FBI, the Illinois State police...etc.

A bit of education is a good thing - a good place to start is:
"Photo Fakery", by D. A. Brigioni, founder of the CIA's Photo Interpretation Center,Brassey Publications, 1999.

BTW - I still like you Leon.

This message has been edited by bmarlowe1 on Apr 15, 2009 5:11 PM

Rhys
(Login prewarsports)

April 15 2009, 4:29 PM 

I had all my ebay auctions ended last week because I listed my website name www.prewarsports.com within the text of my listing and appearantly that is so bad they will shut you down. How is it that what I did was so far against the rules they resort to that but others can basically use ebay as free advertising for their sites? I love ebay, and I hate ebay both at the same time.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 4:33 PM 

Rhys

I don't believe these listings will run their full terms.

This message has been edited by asphaltman76 on Apr 15, 2009 4:33 PM

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

Joe

April 15 2009, 4:49 PM 

According to this site, he played in Westwood, NJ in 1922.

http://www.blackbetsy.com/joepics4.htm

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

Heritage response

April 15 2009, 4:51 PM 

Mr. Van Brunt,

Thank you for your email. While I appreciate your opinion, I respectfully disagree. Heritage has become the worlds largest collectibles auctioneer because we actively seek out every available bidder to ensure that our consignors realize the highest possible prices for their lots. We used to list our entire auctions on eBay when they offered a Live bidding format. Unfortunately, eBay Live has closed and this is no longer an option. The increased visibility of these current offerings on eBay will ultimately result in larger settlement checks for our consignors.

Of course, I do want to make it clear that we will not require any eBay bidder that may miss the very prominent text stating that the auction is for an auction catalog only to follow through with payment. I hope this clarifies our position on the matter, and I thank you for your interest.

Regards,

Chris Ivy

JimB
(Login E93)

April 15 2009, 5:01 PM 

Seems reasonable to me. I don't understand what the big deal is. If I was a consignor, I would be very happy about it. No harm, no foul IMHO.
JimB

John H.
(Login johnh19)

April 15 2009, 5:03 PM 

It's a bizarre listing and quite deceptive for anyone who doesn't pay close attention to the item description. I agree that, if anything, it should definitely be a "Buy It Now" rather than an open bid. I hope that, to be ethical, they cancel any listings that go over the minimum bid.

Edit: I sent them a message. The Pete Rose rookie card catalog is at $107 and rising.

This message has been edited by johnh19 on Apr 15, 2009 5:34 PM

Jeff Lichtman
(Login calvindog)

April 15 2009, 5:41 PM 

Heritage wants it both ways: they don't want to make a sale to anyone who misreads the auction description and thinks he's buying a card - yet they want to mislead people in an effort to get them to these listings for the auction catalogs. As stated before, why not just use a BIN price? Perhaps because an open-ended auction would cause certain bidders to believe they are buying the card and not the catalog?

Chris Bland
(Login the-illini)

April 15 2009, 5:51 PM 

No publicity is bad publicity - Heritage is getting just what they want out of these "auctions" - people looking at them and talking about them...

Robert Klevens
(Login prestigecollectibles)

April 15 2009, 5:58 PM 

They are basically advertising their current auction on Ebay which I can't believe is allowed.
I doubt these auctions will continue much longer.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement