Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
George HC
(Login T215)

Re: Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009, 6:18 PM 

"Heritage has become the worlds largest collectibles auctioneer"

LMAO

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Network 54 Moderator

George

April 15 2009, 6:21 PM 

What other collectibles auction company has done over $700 million in the last year? They are the #1 coin auction house in the world, I believe....

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 6:27 PM 

With all due respect Leon-

Cant' we leave it at the cards? I personally don't care what auction house has done millions of dollars in coins, barbie dolls, or bottle tops. They are hardly the top "sportscard" auctioneer in the country.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 6:28 PM 

"No publicity is bad publicity. "

Chris,

I know this is an old adage, but it is decidely, not true for any business that relies on the public for their survival. It may work fine for a "celebrities" like Paris Hilton and Britney Spears, but it's not for everyone.

Jimmy
(Login boxingbaseballgolf33)

Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009, 6:38 PM 

Chris,

you do make a good point about the eBay live auctions not being available anymore and we our not saying it was wrong what you are doing. maybe just more surprised that you have been able to do this with eBay and all the restrictions. I have tried many types of scenarios and ideas - some have work and others have not. There just needs to be a little bit more level playing field with these kinds of issues on eBay.

Good Luck

Jimmy

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Network 54 Moderator

Dave

April 15 2009, 6:42 PM 

I was only pointing out the statement that Heritage made was in fact true. "LMAO" at a true statement is sort of paradoxical....(is that a word?)....regards

edited spelling...thanks Barry

This message has been edited by leonl on Apr 15, 2009 6:47 PM

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 15 2009, 6:47 PM 

Edited as my work is done. happy.gif

This message has been edited by barrysloate on Apr 15, 2009 6:49 PM

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 15 2009, 6:51 PM 

The new/old board had spell-check ...

Claude
(Login Gamebits)

April 15 2009, 7:12 PM 

(Spell check) back in the time it was called a teacher but they don't do that anymore, do they?

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 7:21 PM 

Someone forwarded this link to me.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-catalog.html

Seems pretty clear that the Heritage listings are in violation of Ebay policy.

But my point was more than that. Every auction house should go far out of their way to avoid anything that even comes close to the appearance of impropriety.

JimB
(Login E93)

April 15 2009, 7:49 PM 

No offense, but I find this discussion absolutely ridiculous. With all the real problems in the world (or even in this hobby), why one would bother getting all stirred up over Heritage promoting their auction via Ebay seems like a complete waste of time and brain cells.
JimB

Bottom of the Ninth
(Login BOTN)

April 15 2009, 8:05 PM 

Jim,

I guess you must exclusively consign cards to auction houses when you sell. For the rest of us who do sell on ebay this represents a double standard. So I am not so sure this is so ridiculous to address. Certainly there have been far more ridiculous threads but I don't recall you posting twice on those threads. Are you getting banner ad money too from Heritage?????

Greg

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 15 2009, 8:12 PM 

If we're going to use the "real problems in the world" as a measuring stick of what's appropriate to post about, then just shut down the board.

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

the ebay link

April 15 2009, 8:13 PM 

Catalog Sales

Listings of catalogs from which buyers may directly order are not permitted.

Old and collectible catalogs (from which you can no longer place an order) are permissible. However, the title or description may not contain extensive lists of specific items included in the catalog. Sellers wishing to list these catalogs should review the Additional Information section below and adhere to its policies.

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:

Listing cancellation

Limits on account privileges

Account suspension

Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings

Loss of PowerSeller status

EDIT TO ADD I suppose one could argue no violation because one cannot "directly order" from the Heritage catalog.

This message has been edited by Peter_Spaeth on Apr 15, 2009 8:53 PM

Bottom of the Ninth
(Login BOTN)

April 15 2009, 8:53 PM 

This is an email from ebay that was just forwarded to me from someone who reported the 101 Heritage listings:

We will thoroughly review the listing(s) you have reported for
violations of our Listing Policies. In order to keep eBay a safe and fun
place to trade, we often rely on members like you to bring such listing
violations to our attention.

In light of our privacy policy, we cannot share with you any action
taken by eBay with respect to this listing. If we determine that the
listing violates eBay policy, we may:

1. Send the seller an informational alert;
2. Remove the listing; or
3. Suspend the seller.

Account suspensions are usually reserved for those sellers that
continuously disregard policy.

If you would like to review our Listing Policies in more detail, please
visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-ov.html

Thank you for your report.

Regards,

The eBay Community Watch Team

quan
(Login quannimir)

April 15 2009, 9:12 PM 

ok not real world problems (because who cares about the real world here)...but in the auction world where we were being charged $75 for the right to bid, hidden reserves, shill bidding, house bidding up to meet reserves, prepping and enhancing of material by auction houses before sending them in for grading, outright alteration and reparation of material w/o disclosing it, misrepresentation of material bordering on fraud and ignoring the winner when he brought it up...i'm glad we're drawing the sand here today!

i'm glad there's an ebay watchdog group to look out for ebay's best interest...when you send your complaint to heritage do also cc that email to you.are.being.taken.advantage.of!!!!!!@ebay.com so they can review all those auctions and shut them down pronto...because they are an eyesore and represent what is wrong with our hobby today.

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

April 15 2009, 9:24 PM 

Quan, those other problems are too depressing, especially the prepping/enhancing/alteration, if we thought about them enough and acknowledged the extent to which they likely were actually taking place, we wouldn't be able to buy cards any more. So it's more practical to focus on the little stuff.

CoreyRS.hanus
(Login benjulmag)

You've got to be kidding

April 15 2009, 9:44 PM 

Hello world, this is business, American style. If I ran Heritage, I would do the exact same thing; as would I suspect those who run eBay. I think its extraordinarly naive to believe this is inappropriate.

edited a typo

This message has been edited by leonl on Apr 15, 2009 10:34 PM

davidcycleback
(Login dereb12)

April 16 2009, 12:12 AM 

It's nothing new. REA, Sotheby's and others have done the same.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 16 2009, 5:30 AM 

REA has done this David? When was this?

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement