Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

Re: Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 16 2009, 6:48 AM 

Corey- ebay has rules and what Heritage did is against those rules. They simply worded and presented it in such a way as to hopefully slip pass ebay's search. So I will disagree with your statement. Ebay may ultimately shut it down.

This message has been edited by barrysloate on Apr 16, 2009 6:54 AM

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

April 16 2009, 7:22 AM 

For all we know they cleared it with ebay in advance. Literally it may not violate the policy as it is not a catalog from which a customer can "order directly" although the intent of the policy as a whole seems to be to distinguish between catalogs of historical interest and current ones.

I find the "Jackson" photo to be more of an issue.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 7:28 AM 

If it were okay to list a catalog for sale Heritage could have done that in a simple straightforward manner. The convoluted way they presented it suggests they were trying to circumvent the rules.

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

April 16 2009, 7:30 AM 

Barry not necessarily, the way they did it (listing individual cards) is far more likely to generate "hits" than just listing a catalog.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 7:34 AM 

Peter- don't you think there are more than a fair number of people who looked at Heritage's listing and got confused? Also, it is against ebay rules to do what they did. If that's a valid advertising campaign I think it is a poor one. My vote is this was carefully planned to list the catalog for sale without ebay figuring it out.

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

April 16 2009, 7:40 AM 

I guess we'll see if ebay takes down the listings.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 7:49 AM 

Anything is possible but I say they were trying to slip one past the goalie.

CoreyRS.hanus
(Login benjulmag)

April 16 2009, 7:55 AM 

Barry,

That may or may not be true. But the gist of the complaints on this thread pertained to the bush league tactics of what Heritage was doing, not that it might have violated eBay's rules. And that was the focus I was responding to. And I will reiterate my point that it is naive to expect any profit-seeking auction house to have done anything differently if they felt by doing so they would negatively impact their prices realized.

And to go further, is this action any more repugnant that the action of an auction house puffing their catalog offerings to the point of arguably crossing the line to outward misrepresentation? You and I have discussed that on a number of occassions. We abhor such practices, but grudgingly admit that with some auction houses it is a common occurrence.

This message has been edited by benjulmag on Apr 16, 2009 10:31 AM

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 7:59 AM 

Corey- no auction house would ever dare do that.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 16 2009, 8:00 AM 

Corey-

You say it's naive to think any profit seeking auction house would not do this, you really feel REA would stoop to this? I know there are many auction houses that do things that I shake my head about...but, i'm asking about one in particular that I personally put head and shoulders above the rest.

Heritage states themselves that they have the largest customer base of anyone..so why the need to do this? Why they are at it why not put flyers on everyone's mailboxes to?

This message has been edited by asphaltman76 on Apr 16, 2009 8:03 AM

Jimmy
(Login boxingbaseballgolf33)

Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 16 2009, 8:59 AM 

Barry,

I guess I was just trying to be nice to Heritage on my last post, but you make some good points. I do not sell as much as you do, but at some point I will be doing more both on eBay and off. These are the kinds of issues that do bother me and have I been on eBay a long time. I really try not to go crazy on this board, but with my experiences with some of the auction houses and the news I hear just disappoints me more about the hobby. This hobby is intended to be fun and enjoyable weather you are making money or not. Certainly there are some aspects to the hobby which are necessary to keep business going, but sometimes you have to question about what maybe going on in the hobby today. I really try to keep it simple and straight forward when it comes to my website, shows and eBay.

Jimmy

This message has been edited by boxingbaseballgolf33 on Apr 16, 2009 9:01 AM

Alan
(Login Jewish-collector)

April 16 2009, 9:15 AM 

Also, keep in mind that this is the time of year (April-May) this particular Heritage sports auction has to go up against at least REA & Legendary (Mastro) major auctions for collectors' money. Remember, Leon's thread about "Don't forget about Heritage"....

James Feagin
(Login Orioles1954)

April 16 2009, 9:20 AM 

Don't forget about Huggins & Scott either.....sorry for the shameless plug happy.gif

James

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 9:22 AM 

Jimmy- Toward the end of last year I was selling some consignments on ebay and getting ready to start my November catalog auction. I thought it would be a great idea to post my website address on each ebay listing and steer more traffic over there. But I asked a couple of people with more ebay experience than me and I was told ebay will shut me down if they catch it. And I certainly couldn't risk that as how do I tell a consignor I can no longer sell their material because I was shut down?

So when I see Heritage's listing I have to think they knew that too but were more clever than I was. They simply found a way to beat the system.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 16 2009, 9:29 AM 

Corey said: "...this is business, American style."

I don't find that to be an acceptable excuse for a practice that is ethically lax.

I do agree that it is relatively minor compared to things we see from some other auction houses. This isn't a deal breaker for me. Failure to pay consignors, card tampering, shill bidding, fake sales, and many more common practices are much worse.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 16 2009, 9:45 AM 

Agreed. This is a minor transgression, but since we seem to dissect everything, this is fair game.

John H.
(Login johnh19)

April 16 2009, 9:50 AM 

I could care less that they have listed their auction catalog. It's strange and somewhat misleading for people who don't or can't read but, all in all, it's unimportant to me. What bothers me is that they didn't list them as "Buy It Now" and they have left the auctions open to bid for those people who think they're bidding on a Pete Rose rookie card rather than a catalog.

Red
(Login RedManChewer)

April 16 2009, 10:03 AM 

"Jimmy- Toward the end of last year I was selling some consignments on ebay and getting ready to start my November catalog auction. I thought it would be a great idea to post my website address on each ebay listing and steer more traffic over there. But I asked a couple of people with more ebay experience than me and I was told ebay will shut me down if they catch it. And I certainly couldn't risk that as how do I tell a consignor I can no longer sell their material because I was shut down?"

Promoting your own auction along with a website address was something that was well known to be against Ebay rules. You were advised on how to change and word your message so it would not be against Ebay rules. Using Ebay to promote your business is a very wise thing to do. It's advertising just like an ad in SCD only it's seen by a lot more fresh faces. It's foolish not to push your nearly free "advertising" to the maximum allowed by Ebay.

T206Collector
(Login T206Collector)

Foolishness

April 16 2009, 11:05 AM 

<<It's foolish not to push your nearly free "advertising" to the maximum allowed by Ebay.>>

I think this is akin to spamming email. I don't think its illegal or particularly malevolent. I think its somewhat adolescent and goofy and smacks of desperate marketing.

Ebay is already filled with this so-called "advertising" and it further dilutes the ability of collectors to get to actual cards on ebay. If everyone that promotes a business uses ebay in this fashion, then pretty soon ebay stops being at all useful for its intended purpose.

Here's my next Net54 thread: "Authentic T206 Wagner -- Cheap!"

Text of message: "I wish I could find one. In the meantime, I'm eating at Sloppy Joes, on the corner of 34th and 2nd."

Visithttp://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

This message has been edited by T206Collector on Apr 16, 2009 11:10 AM

Claude
(Login Gamebits)

April 16 2009, 11:10 AM 

It is easy to understand why they don't have a "Buy it Now" they don't try to sell the catalog they are advertising their auction, the Buy it Now would stop the advertising if somebody use it.

< Previous Page 12 3 4 5 6 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement