Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009 at 11:40 AM

T206Collector  (Login T206Collector)

Anyone else think this is a bit "bush league"? I'm sure eBay would be thrilled to know its auction site was being used to promote another auction....

http://cgi.ebay.com/1910-E93-Standard-Caramel-Honus-Wagner-Auction-Catalog_W0QQitemZ270374505060QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270374505060&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visithttp://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

Re: Heritage Auctions: Ambush Marketing?

April 15 2009, 11:49 AM 

I saw that...saw the "Just So" card and had to scratch my head. I'll say this...it's not something I think Rob Lifson would resort to.

peter ullman
(Login ullmandds)

April 15 2009, 12:02 PM 

that's pretty lame. i'd understand placing the card on ebay...as a live auction ending when the heritage auction ends...this is routinely done...but selling catalogs on ebay is lame!

Jimmy Leiderman
(Login JLeiderman)

April 15 2009, 12:02 PM 

Red
(Login RedManChewer)

April 15 2009, 12:11 PM 

If I was a consignor I'd be happy to see that the auction was being promoted many different ways. The listings on Ebay will get thousands of hits and could draw in new people who don't know about the upcoming auction.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 12:17 PM 

They currently have 101 of these auctions up.

Obviously, some bidders are stupid and will be fooled by this, (witness the 1963 Rose rookie catalog at over $100). I bet they leave these up for a while then cancel all the auctions before completion.

Seems pretty slimy to me.

dstudeba
(Login dstudeba)

April 15 2009, 12:27 PM 

They are listed in the Auction Catalogs category.

D. Bergin
(Login Pugilistica_Dave)

April 15 2009, 12:36 PM 

It says "Auction Catalog" right in the title. It's pretty simple marketing. I'm pretty confused about what the issue is here.

Steve Murray
(Login jacklitsch)

April 15 2009, 12:41 PM 

Seems to me that if there is an "Auction Catalog" category that ebay wouldn't have a problem.

I think they would have been better to list them with BIN's to eliminate the apparent confusion with the Rose listing.

Other than that I have no problem with it.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 12:41 PM 

Dave-

If you want to sell a catalog fine, although that in itself is a bit strange to me for an auction company to stick their own catalogs on ebay. The bigger issue is using scans from the auction, ie. the "Just So" tobacco card to advertise the card. Why not just put a scan up of the auction catalog cover instead of "card isn't for sale on ebay, but is for sale in this auction" or whatever the wording is?

I just think it's a little backyard, and not something you'd want a "top tier" auction house doing.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 12:43 PM 

Steve-

You really don't have a problem with this? Even though the entire description is on the card and not the catalog?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1893-Just-So-Tobacco-Nig-Cuppy-SGC-30-G-Auction-Catalog_W0QQitemZ270374504928

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 12:48 PM 

Technically, there's nothing wrong with it. But there is the perception that they are attempting to mislead here. If they wanted to sell the catalogs... fine.

But they have used 101 very different listings to show what is exactly the same catalog. Two of those listings have multiple bids. Why do you think it's OK to take money from bidders who are obviously too stupid to realize what they are bidding on?

I question the intent and the ethics of this marketing ploy.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 12:53 PM 

To me Jim seems like more than just a perception to mislead. Then they have starting bids of $24.99 on all of them...besides the fact they aren't even advertising for the actual catalogs, who would pay $24.99 for one to begin with? I wouldn't pay that for my REA catalog....

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 1:02 PM 

I was trying to be polite. I've purchased from Heritage a number of times and have always liked them, but as I said in my first post, this is slimy.

I bet these auctions do not run their full course.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 1:10 PM 

I understand Jim. I've bought from them too. Just not what an upper echelon auction house would do in my opinion.

Bob
(Login tbob)
Registered Users

April 15 2009, 1:17 PM 

I agree with you, Jim. I have dealt with Heritage several times, all good transactions but this is kind of goofy IMHO. I bet the guy who pays over $100 for the catalogue and expects the 63 Rose rookie is going to be P.O.ed. Yes, I know he should read more carefully, but I imagine that there might be some issues with "buyers" that Heritage wasn't expecting.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 1:22 PM 

This has all the makings of a campaign started by someone pretty low level in marketing. Honestly, it sounds like something one of my teenagers would think up. (Hey! I know how to get some "almost free" exposure for our auction!)

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 15 2009, 1:28 PM 

I guess we're done complaining about the new board?

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 15 2009, 1:30 PM 

We go where we're told to complain.

Dave F
(Login asphaltman76)

April 15 2009, 1:31 PM 

Rob-

Yes, if you dont mind...please just complain here for now.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index