Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

Re: Colgan's Chips Premium REA

April 26 2009, 9:09 PM 

Dan, the bulk of that confirmed checklist is from my personal database that I sent to Lyman, so there are quite a few not on that list that do exist, I just wanted to make sure there was no difference between the red border or Tin Top and the E254 before adding it to my confirmed checklist. An example is the Nap Rucker E254 has horizontal name & team while the E270 has a vertical team and name, a slight difference that was uncharted (much like Leon's Evans--his E254 has a Horizontal name). We are just trying to be as conservative as possible and trying to weed out any errors or mistakes that may have been perpetuated over the years, so we are relying on photo prrof before adding them to the checklist.

I know Larry Frisch was pretty fanatical about the Colgan's issue and presumably had all the Reds in the book as he could only not confirm the Cravath that had been on older checklists. Since then, I have owned or seen at least 5-6 additions to the known checklist, all of which are on the Old Cardboard site.
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]
-Rhett

This message has been edited by rhettmyeakley on Apr 26, 2009 9:12 PM

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 26 2009, 9:20 PM 

Sorry, nm.

This message has been edited by wolfie51sb on Apr 26, 2009 9:23 PM

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 9:42 PM 

Here's the E254 and E270-1 Unglaub (Lincoln) for comparison...big difference in cropping.

1911 Colgan's Red Border 1911 Colgan's

Frank Wakefield
(Login FrankWakefield)

April 26 2009, 10:57 PM 

Well here's a silver dollar, a half dollar, a tin lid, regular Colgans
card, and a red border card...

The silver dollar won't fit inside the lid. The cards' diameter is greater than that of the half dollar.

[linked image]

Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

April 26 2009, 11:46 PM 

Dan, there will be a lot of cropping differences between the 2 sets, but here is an example (Hughes seen below) of where there is a big difference...

Hughes:
[linked image] [linked image]

Som other E254's w/ their Red counterparts...

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 11:51 PM 

Rhett, thanks for the info...I'm wondering have you heard of an Unglaub (Lincoln) in the Tin Tops set?

Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

April 27 2009, 12:18 AM 

Dan, according to Lipset there is a Unglaub (Minneapolis) in the Tin Top set, but I have never seen it to confirm that.
-Rhett

Edited to add: The Red Border set while the most striking of the 3 sets is by far the most boring in terms of new players. With few exceptions, the E270 Red Borders are just reproductions of E254's with the new border. Only 2 "new" players have been found that were not produced as E254's beforehand, and they are both Louisville players Red Fisher & John Sullivan (see below). Other than those 2 the only major changes occur on those with their name & team on chest like the Hughes above, the Cobb, and I know I have seen a Murch with that type of set-up but it was years ago and I never wrote down the team he was with, I'm pretty sure Tom Boblitt won it on ebay but like I said it was many years ago. Anyways, that is the skinny of the Red Borders...

Here are the newbie's that are not found on a E254...

This message has been edited by rhettmyeakley on Apr 27, 2009 12:24 AM

Lyman
(Login lhardem)

Timely Thread

April 27 2009, 12:55 AM 

David: you started a timely and interesting thread. Issue #19 with John Spano's article was just leaving the printer when you started the thread on the 15th.

I'd like to thank John for writing the article and providing a nucleus of E254 scans for the Colgan's gallery on the website. With considerable input from Rhett, Mark Macrae, Tom Boblett and others, we now are missing only three of the 289 E254 cards in the gallery. Thanks again for input from all.

Dan: thanks for the scan of the Unglaub-Lincoln Red Border. We have now updated the Checklist on the website to show the card as confirmed.

The Combined Colgan's checklists at http://www.oldcardboard.com/e/e2/e254-270/e254-270.asp?cardsetID=770 are still a work in progress. As Rhett stated, there has been some doubt and confusion about the confirmation of some of the Red Borders and Tin Tops. As can be seen in the Combined Colgan's checklist, we are re-confirming all cards in both of these sets. A "?" in the checklist indicates that the card has not been recently confirmed by collectors. If you have one of these cards, please send a scan of the card (Red Border or Tin Top only) to me or post on this thread. The result will be a better validated hobby checklist.

Barry: Glad you liked John's article. The above contributors are also acknowledged in the article but again warrant special recognition.

Thanks again to John and all contributors,
Lyman

PS: As David points out, John's article includes a side panel with a discussion about the REA Premium.

Frank Wakefield
(Login FrankWakefield)

April 27 2009, 8:34 AM 

Bill Haber had a bunch of E254s. I had telephone conversations with him
about cards, years ago. I always wanted to talk about T206s, he about
E254s. He was always wanting to know who I had, and if I had any new
ones. He wanted one of every E254 out there.

Anyway, anyone know what happened to his cards, specifically his E254s??

My understanding is that Mr. Lipset deferred to Mr. Haber's thoughts and
incorporated them into that section of the Encyclopedia. And that is the
source for what we find in the Standard Catalog and Beckett's today.

This message has been edited by FrankWakefield on Apr 27, 2009 9:19 AM

John S
(Login Burgher)

April 27 2009, 9:51 AM 

Frank,

When I started collecting E254's in the early 90's I remember his name being mentioned along with Larry Fritsch regarding Colgan's. I would assume that they knew (or knew of) one another. Maybe Larry absorbed his collection?

Jeremy
(Login nashvols)

Re : Colgan's Chips Premium

April 27 2009, 12:06 PM 

Here is scan I just emailed Lyman on a few days ago, as I did not see this card in the Old Carboard or Lipset Checklist. Harry Welchonce, split time between Nashville and Atlanta in 1912 and was the Southern League Batting Champ in 1912 & 1913.

I believe I have seen Welchouce(sp) listed in a checklist for Atlanta, but not for Nashville.

~ Jeremy ~

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement