Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Colgan's Chips Premium REA

April 15 2009 at 6:29 PM

Dave Hornish  (Login dsh46)

I either have missed comments on this or it has gone without comment yet but REA is auctioning one of the Premiums and has the story of why Adams-Pepsin Tutti Frutti Gum issued it as their parent bought Colgan's right at the time of marketing and issue. So far as I know this is the first time the premium has been identified.

What do you all think?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jeff Mohler
(Login jeffmohler)

Re: Colgan's Chips Premium REA

April 15 2009, 7:28 PM 

We had a thread on this quite some time ago. I think the board consensus was that no one had ever seen a Colgans premium identified as such. If they existed, then they probably had no markings to identify them as a Colgan's premium. I guess we were wrong!

Jeff

Frank Wakefield
(Login FrankWakefield)

April 15 2009, 7:36 PM 

can someone post a scan or a link??

Thanks

FW

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

April 15 2009, 7:54 PM 

Sorry, I accidentally edited out the link when I was typing the original post:

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bidplace.aspx?itemid=11828

Shawn Chambers
(Login skybar)

April 15 2009, 8:13 PM 

I remember the older threads discussing the rarity of the premiums. When I went to REA, I was surprised at how "low" the bidding was on it at this point. So many more "common" items are through the roof already.

It will be interesting to see where it ends up. Cool team shot.

Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

April 15 2009, 8:40 PM 

I remain a bit skeptical on the item, despite the links brought up about the two products both being owned by the same parent company. It just doesn't quite add up to me, but I respect Rob's opinion to believe this to be the Colgan's premium.
-Rhett

Frank Wakefield
(Login FrankWakefield)

April 15 2009, 9:46 PM 

I'm with Rhett... I don't think that this photo would be what was contemplated by the Tin-Top offer. If it had Auto-Sales on it I'd think it more likely.

FW

This message has been edited by FrankWakefield on Apr 15, 2009 9:48 PM

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 1:47 PM 

I have an old piece of Adams Tutti Frutti gum. Not sure why the photo in REA is considered a Colgan's premium...seems a bit of a leap of faith is expected here.

Photobucket

And oddly enough I found this in with stuff my great grandmother saved all from the same era which included a Colgan's tin with gum in it and an Ornate pin (non baseball)

Photobucket

Photobucket

This message has been edited by slidekellyslide on Apr 26, 2009 1:50 PM

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Network 54 Moderator

Dan

April 26 2009, 1:56 PM 

Here is an ad on the back of an E270 tin top.... I am not sure how much of a leap of faith the picture is since it is exactly what is said on the back and from the same mfg?

edited to add that I also agree with the write up REA did...and it seems logical to me.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by leonl on Apr 26, 2009 1:58 PM

Dave Hornish
(Login dsh46)

April 26 2009, 3:37 PM 

There is a great Colgan's Chip article in the new Old Cardboard (#19). Well worth seeking out and the premium gets a nod too.

Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

April 26 2009, 5:07 PM 

Time will probably prove me wrong, and it won't be the first time. This very well could be the thing they are describing on the backs of the cards, but it just seems wierd to me that there would be different products advertised.
-Rhett

John S
(Login Burgher)

April 26 2009, 5:25 PM 

While I wouldn't bet my collection on it; all evidence points towards this being the piece advertised on the reverse of the E270's.

Autosales was attempting to form a monopoly and was either buying or signing contracts with gum and candy companies to market products in their vending machines. History shows that Colgan's was phased out within a couple years after being bought by Autosales.

The advertisement on the premium for Adam's was most likely used to market a brand of gum that Autosales felt would be more successful in the future.

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 6:19 PM 

You guys may all be right, I'm just saying there is some leap of faith here when there is no solid evidence. Which there isn't. Either way it's clear the item is a premium, and a very cool one at that.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 26 2009, 6:38 PM 

I very much enjoyed John Spano's article in OC (I assume that it is John S. who posted above), and wasn't even aware of the 208 backs. I did, however, notice something that didn't seem correct. You stated that Colgan's were 1 7/16" in diameter, or about the size of a silver dollar. But they are of course smaller than that, about the size of a quarter. Otherwise, it was a terrific article.

Rhett Yeakley
(Login rhettmyeakley)

April 26 2009, 6:57 PM 

I didn't realize the OC was already sent out. Anyways, the cards are 1-7/16".
-Rhett

Here are a few of the 208's...
[linked image] [linked image] [linked image]

This message has been edited by rhettmyeakley on Apr 26, 2009 6:58 PM

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 26 2009, 7:20 PM 

Rhett- unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, they are smaller than a silver dollar (but they are bigger than a quarter, I am wrong).

This message has been edited by barrysloate on Apr 26, 2009 7:23 PM

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 8:01 PM 

Barry, they are almost the exact same size as a silver dollar.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 26 2009, 8:08 PM 

I am shocked. I will have to see it to believe it (I do believe you, but a silver dollar seems huge to me).

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 26 2009, 8:33 PM 

I was looking at the checklist on the Old Cardboard site and for what it's worth I can confirm the existence of Unglaub (Lincoln) in the E270-1 Red Border set.

1911 Colgan's Red Border

Brian T.
(Login terjung)

April 26 2009, 9:04 PM 

Barry,
By chance are you thinking of a 50 cent piece? Those are quite a bit bigger.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement