Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Joann
(Login jmk59)

Re: THE MONSTER - "Making Noise"

April 27 2009, 2:31 PM 

Phil,

I would take out a handful of cards that you really like or maybe had the toughest time getting and then sell the rest. From your posts, it seems clear that you will feel a lot better to get it all taken care of with no debt.

So you sell the cards, get the work done, pay the contractors and ... then? Then you wake up the next morning with no debt, no monthly debt payment to impede cash flow, all the cash you finally have since you've worked hard to get rid of and avoid debt and BOOM! You start buying cards again.

Guilt free, restart the process, and it all feels good again.

Just my two cents.

Joann

(PS - and since the decision to sell them is very practical and not made from emotion, then maybe best to go about it in the most practical and least emotional way, which is to list them individually on the BST.)

JohnnyH
(Login JohnnyHarmonica)

April 27 2009, 2:35 PM 

The nice thing is you have options. If you really love the T206 I wouldn't sell them, because if you do there is a chance you will never be able to get back into them as you had already done it, of course you might get into something else you never had thought of and like it even more. If you take out a loan and things get tight, you can always start selling cards to pay it off. It's not like you are facing losing your home, 170.00 a month will be easy to off set by only spending half of what you do now on T206 and maybe cut back on a couple other things. I wouldn't do anything drastic, without any CC debt you are fine, plus you will get the interest paid on the loan as a write off on your taxes.

Michael C
(Login Mrc32a)

April 27 2009, 2:35 PM 

Phil-If my post offended you then I wasn't as articulate as I would have liked to have been.

My point was that taking out debt, or significant debt to have it all is not a smart thing. People choosing to have it all....now....is what has caused so many of the problems we face today.

For me, taking out a loan to keep my cards is just not something I would ever do. I love the hobby, but they are just pieces of cardboard. No way, would I pay the bank a bunch of interest so I could keep my cards around the house.

Good luck in your choice.

Phil
(Login pgellis)

April 27 2009, 3:02 PM 

Thanks Michael (and thanks to everyone else for their opinions).

Michael, no offense taken. My wife and I have been very diligent financially and took all the necessary steps and sacrifices so we would never be in a financial pickle. I thought you were lumping me into the group of people that bought $500,000 homes with interest-only loans or the people that have $50,000+ on their credit cards and can barely make minimum monthly payments. I agree with you on taking out a loan vs. selling my cards then. I have a hard time paying a bank when I have something that sits in a few cardboard boxes on a shelf in my home office.

I will answer a few other questions here:

What we did with the money was we built a 2 car garage. We planned on building a finished "play" room above it. Over the weekend we went to a local electronics store and made the mistake of going into the "theater room". What we saw blew us away. A 98" High Def screen with reclining theater seats. We put away enough cash to pay for the entire garage. Now to make an ultimate home theater in the room above, it will cost us about another $15,000.

We don't have kids and we both work very hard all week.....usually at least 5.5 days a week. So, after some discussion, we decided let's do it. I was drooling over the thought of High-Def sports on a 98" screen. I instantly told my wife that I'd sell my cards. She said, "No, you don't have to do that".

Now, before some reply by saying, "Do you really need a 98" screen and custom theater seats, custom sound, etc., etc." The answer is, of course not. Nobody NEEDS that. But as someone asked, would I/we get as much enjoyment out of the added feature (home theater) as I do from my T206s, I would answer that with YES! We will be living in that room. I rarely take my T206s out of the box to look at. Another question, was would this improvement increase the value of your home? Answer is, YES!

I thank each and every one of you guys/gals for your responses. I think that I'll look into a loan and see what it will cost me. Knowing myself, I will probably pay the loan off in 3 or 4 months anyways. I HATE DEBT.

If anyone is interested in possibly purchasing the collection as a whole, please email and we can discuss price, etc.

Thanks again!

Jodi Birkholm
(Login JBirkholm)

April 27 2009, 3:15 PM 

It sounds as though you have answered your own question without really needing our advice. None of this is of huge priority for a practical person, so you already know the best answer yourself. Which one would give you the most pleasure? Honestly, taking out a loan for a purely extravagant purchase is silly, don't you think? At least when buying many types of vintage cards and collectibles, you are nearly always guaranteed to see your investment increase. Ask yourself this--do you want something that will give you instant gratification, but is guaranteed to depreciate in value (and might break down), or do you want to keep pursuing the monster? The latter will always provide you with enjoyment and gratification, but is also a far wiser way to use your hard-earned disposable income. As a compromise, why not opt for something used or a little more cost-efficient that is within your means (or could be an attainable goal within a month or two)? Honestly, this is the most practical and logical choice from how you describe your situation.

Jeff Lichtman
(Login calvindog)

April 27 2009, 3:19 PM 

"A 98" High Def screen with reclining theater seats."

I would sell the cards for that anytime. You cannot recline in a theatre watching sports on a 98" HD screen while playing with your baseball cards.

JohnnyH
(Login JohnnyHarmonica)

April 27 2009, 3:20 PM 

Another thing to think about is that TV will probably be half the price it is now in 12 months, on the bright side, in 3 or 4 years when you need a new one you will probably be able to get a 150 inch for a 1/4 of what you spend on this one ! Superbowl at your house !!

Phil
(Login pgellis)

April 27 2009, 3:32 PM 

Actually answering some "TV" questions........

The electronics store I went to is a stand-alone, single store business that do a great business locally. They will work on a package deal if you want to buy everything through them. The High Def projector is brand new and retails for $9,000. In a package deal, they will bring my cost down to $3,500 for the projector. Won't get a better deal down the road, that's for sure.

Also, looked at bigger screens....yeah they go up to about 130". Even I have to say that 130" is too big. I was told that after about 100" or so, you start to lose a little definition in High Def unit.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 27 2009, 3:41 PM 

That's a lot of money for a TV, and there really is nothing good on anyway. I might not advise you to sell your collection for a big screen TV. But it's your call.

sagard
(Login sagard)

April 27 2009, 3:42 PM 

I have no problems with you getting the Monster theater vs. the Monster. Do keep in mind the EVERY electronics deal will be available again every six to twelve months.

barry arnold
(Login ethicsprof)

monster

April 27 2009, 3:47 PM 

I'm with my fellow old timer, Barry S. .
I'm now thinking that you've been listening to the Monster (wanting you to quit) for far too long and are now captured by the cultural 'darkside'.
But I must say if you're going to talk TVs, I'd listen to my Emory bro.
Jeff L. who knows TVs as well as cards!!

all the best,

barry

JohnnyH
(Login JohnnyHarmonica)

April 27 2009, 3:48 PM 

I still haven't upgraded from the 36' sets that weigh 250lbs so I'm the wrong person to make any sort of comments, the nice thing is they weigh to much for my kids to push over. My dad just bought a 60+ high def and says it's the best money he ever spent. I didn't know they made them bigger than that, wow wow wow that is a big tv !!

Adam
(Login aamoniz)

April 27 2009, 3:52 PM 

"I will only sell them if I can do it as one group. I will never break it up."\

My only suggestion would be to only sell the "commons" as one group. I would suggest selling any HOFers, SLers, variations etc. individually as that will likely get you a lot more money (not to mention likely get you that money quicker).

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 27 2009, 3:54 PM 

Phil- once you get past Seinfeld and Simpsons reruns, and Curb Your Enthusiasm, television ceases to exist. Keep the cards! happy.gif

This message has been edited by barrysloate on Apr 27, 2009 3:59 PM

Phil
(Login pgellis)

April 27 2009, 3:59 PM 

Just to clarify one last issue, then I'll go away and have an "alone" minute with my T206s tonight and we'll talk it over.

I'm not selling my collection or borrowing money to just buy a TV. It is how we want to finish the space above the garage. It is going to cost about $15,000 to put a 98" High Def TV, built in speakers in the room, theater seats, flooring, radiant floor heating, a built in bar, etc., etc.

This IS an investment in our property. It is an entire room with the huge TV that is what I am weighing vs. a cardboard boxes that sit in my office.

The reason the decision has to come now is that the room is still unfinished and the builder has to know how to finish it with walls, built-ins, electric fixtures, wiring, etc., etc. It's not something we can easily (or cheaply) add next year or something after the room is finished.

Mark
(Login bmarlowe1)

April 27 2009, 4:09 PM 

The 98" TV would be nice for displaying hi-res scans of the cards you sold to buy it. (:

Joann
(Login jmk59)

April 27 2009, 4:09 PM 

Shoot, Phil. You make it sound so good that I'm ready to sell MY cards! happy.gif

I'm even more of the mind I had upthread - sell the cards, get the kick-a$$ theater set up, owe no one, and start buying cards again if you want.

J

Phil
(Login pgellis)

April 27 2009, 4:14 PM 

When it's done, I'll post pictures here of my theater room instead of my scans of a T206 Billy Purtell and see what you guys think.

Thanks again everyone!

T206Collector
(Login T206Collector)

I sometimes...

April 27 2009, 4:16 PM 

...think about the lifestyle my family could have if I sold off my entire collection, including minor home improvements that would increase my home value. But I try to think of the cards as soul-fulfilling necessities, which also have the added bonus of providing a rainy-day nest egg for any unforeseen obstacles that come our way -- much more liquid that a remodeled bathroom or minor home additions. My cards provide more enjoyment than a standard savings account, but I like having it available if necessary.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visithttp://www.t206collector.com for Net54 T206 archive, signed deadball card galleries, articles and more!

Greg Ecklund
(Login Gecklund311)

April 27 2009, 4:23 PM 

Bottom line..."The Monster" BRINGS THE NOISE at all times

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement