Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
D. Bergin
(Login Pugilistica_Dave)

Re: Miracles Do Happen- Look What The Yankees Just Did

April 28 2009, 8:30 PM 

In the last several years I've seen Joe Mauer, Justin Morneau and a slew of other major leaguers play for the Twins AA club. Beautiful stadium, great concessions and food at cheap prices, between innings entertainment and fireworks. Cost - 5 bucks for perfect view seats right down the 1st or 3rd base line. If you really want to splurge and sit in box seat right behind the dugout it might cost 15-20 bucks.

The baseball ain't bad either.

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 28 2009, 8:32 PM 

Jim,

All I know is that if I had an ultra-high-grade ticket stub in my possession, I wouldn't be waiting until the end of any game to get it entombed with that ultra-high number on the flip.

Greg Theberge
(Login HiNeighbor)

April 28 2009, 8:32 PM 

I kind of like what the Sox "just did" even better.

Rich Klein
(Login sabrgeek)

Frisco Roughriders

April 28 2009, 8:35 PM 

I know I have a partial season ticket plan -- 8 games @ about 15 each per ticket.

$5 per game for parking

AND by spending I think an extra $2 per game; my wife and myself have pretty decent seats; and have the opportunity to go through what is called the "Teddy Line" which is usually free Burgers; Hot Dogs; Chicken Sandwiches; and one other meat. Also get chips and sodas as well. It really is a great deal and is much closer to where I live then the Rangers. Plus, you do get to see some good prospects. I vividly remember Hunter Pence a couple of years ago and even saw some Texas League playoff games.

I've taken friends and relatives to these games -- and everyone enjoys them almost as much as the big leaguers.

Regards
Rich

Richie
(Login richieb315)

April 28 2009, 8:41 PM 

Brooklyn Cyclones & Staten Island Yankees offer much cheaper tickets. When buying tickets for family its the best way to go. Its much easier on the wallet. My wife and kids love it also.

This message has been edited by richieb315 on Apr 28, 2009 8:43 PM

JimCrandell
(Login Davalillo)

April 28 2009, 8:42 PM 

Dave,

In AA did you think that Mauer and Mourneau were better than Jason Kubel. I saw them all play in High A and I thought that Kubel was as good as any prospect Twins have had last 10 years. I also liked Doug Deeds who I believe is playing AAA ball for Cubs.

Jim

Patrick McHugh
(Login 49leaf)

April 28 2009, 9:52 PM 

Total joke. Trying to get money to pay ster-rod. Would anyone on this board really pay over 1k to see a regular season baseball game? I feel sorry for all the new yorkers who have to pay for this and the other citi stadium. Come on up to ct for a new britain rockcats game yes double aa twins. For 10 bucks you will see better baseball and better players. Doubt me. just check who has played there lately. Yes sabathia came through when he actually was good Mauer, Morneu, Hunter. Santana, Ortiz, and so many others that are now in the majors. Why for just over 1k i may be able to have season tickets in the dugout! In fact i will give an open invitation to all net 54 board members to come on up i will take you to a game and i belive you really will have a great time!

This message has been edited by 49leaf on Apr 28, 2009 10:00 PM

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 28 2009, 10:04 PM 

Patrick,

I appreciate your passion and pretty much agree that the fan experience at a minor-league game can be better than that at a big-league ballpark. But please tell me you don't really believe that you'll see better baseball and collectively better players in the minors than in the majors. If the players really were more talented than the ones two levels above them, they wouldn't be there.

Frank Wakefield
(Login FrankWakefield)

April 28 2009, 10:20 PM 

Hello Brock. Nice photo. It looked to be a beautiful, memorable day.

And Opening Day is special... Opening Game for the park very special.

Still, $250 for the ticket. How much total, parking or train, eats, drinks, stuff... ????

Rich Klein
(Login sabrgeek)

SGC and Tickets

April 28 2009, 10:49 PM 

IIRC; and I don't remember like I used to.

The late great Don Flanagan was working with SGC to get them to grade tickets. It's been a while; did they ever continue with grading tickets? I know we're joking about that; but I think they did at one pt

Rich

D. Bergin
(Login Pugilistica_Dave)

April 28 2009, 11:00 PM 

Dave,

In AA did you think that Mauer and Mourneau were better than Jason Kubel. I saw them all play in High A and I thought that Kubel was as good as any prospect Twins have had last 10 years. I also liked Doug Deeds who I believe is playing AAA ball for Cubs.

Jim

Jim,

To be honest I hardly remember Kubel. He just blew through AA so I'm not even sure I got a chance to see him. I went back and reviewed his statistics and yeah, he was a true minor league phenom. Morneau really exceeded my expectations in the Majors. I thought he'd be solid but not nearly as good as he turned out to be. Mauer was always just a good professional hitter. Being a catcher who could hit for a high average you knew he was destined for a long major league career.

Dave

CN
(Login mets86)

Miracles Do Happen

April 28 2009, 11:11 PM 

I have had season tickets for the Mets for many years. I locked into a plan with my brother which includes all of our kids of 10 seats in the upper deck right behind home plate and the price per game varies from $35 for a premium game to $20 for a regular game. My brother placed the games on secondary market at a slight premium and has sold about 75% of the games in a way in which we will go to a about 20 games a year for free. The seats are just great in the new ballpark. Now I just have to get over my Hockey Rangers loss tonight. CN

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 28 2009, 11:18 PM 

You can't beat minor league ball - I try to get out to as many games as I can during the Summer. My local club is the Lincoln Saltdogs of the American Association (unaffiliated). They've lowered prices on Monday's to the inaugural season ticket prices so that means my family of three will get in to the park for nine bucks. I still love going to Kansas City to see the big boys though. Going in June to see Cincy play.

Where else can you hang out with Ronald McDonald?
Nick with Ronald

doug goodman
(Login doug.goodman)

April 28 2009, 11:59 PM 

I guess I should talk to Dodgers management about dropping the cost of my season tickets. Best seats in baseball, fantastic view of the entire field, all of the scoreboards, the inside of the visiting dugout, and the mountains in the distance, but with the Yankees making such drastic cuts, I'm not sure if it's fair for me to have to pay $324 per seat per season.

Doug

Greg Ecklund
(Login Gecklund311)

April 29 2009, 12:32 AM 

Brock,
Why is it that when posters say something even mildly against the Yankees that you ask what team they like?

I find it strange that a fan of the most historically successful team would be so insecure...is your team above criticism or are people not allowed to dislike them?

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 29 2009, 12:47 AM 

Brock is just a kid. When I was his age I would have defended the Nebraska football team tenaciously.

Good thing Al Gore hadn't invented the internets yet.

Greg Ecklund
(Login Gecklund311)

April 29 2009, 2:37 AM 

Dan,
Thanks...didn't know his age, so I understand it now. I did the same thing when I was young too - as a lonely Utah Jazz fan living in Chicago I had to grow a pretty thick skin during two straight NBA Finals. I even wore my Stockton jersey to the United Center for a Bulls/Jazz game and got plenty of taunts and even some ice thrown at me.

Anyway thanks for letting me know - now that I'm a little older I try not to let grown men throwing and swatting a ball around a field effect my mood, but back in the day I remember being an especially surly little S.O.B. after the Reds swept the A's in the 1990 World Series. Still refuse to acknowledge that they were a better team than Oakland so maybe some things never change...lol.

Brock
(Login yanks12025)

April 29 2009, 6:19 AM 

Greg,
Sorry that i asked people what their team was 2 times. Also i don't really think 18 is a kid.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 6:24 AM 

Brock- I wasn't offended that you asked me. Seemed like a fair question.

Dave
(Login Chesbro41)

April 29 2009, 7:41 AM 

I think Brock is probably fed up with the finger pointing at the Yankees. A lot of current baseball fans take more joy in the Yanks losing than their own teams winning. Meanwhile the Yankees are paying some of the small market clubs to stay in business with lux Tax.

I hear what everyone says about player development but it's hard to do that when you've been on top of the league as long as the Yankees. The Rays, Twins and Marlins have all had time to rebuild... the Yankees can't do that. It's not in the George S playbook.

And as for the Yanks... I'll finish it with this because it's hard for me to be unbiased since they are my team... I love the Steinbrenners. They take their money and put it in the team. Can't say the same for most of the other owners.

P.S. The kid Hughes sure looked great last night. Need more of him.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement