Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

Re: Miracles Do Happen- Look What The Yankees Just Did

April 29 2009, 7:53 AM 

Indeed, persecuted Yankees fans are sympathetic figures.

David Atkatz
(Login murderers_row)

April 29 2009, 9:16 AM 

"I love the Steinbrenners. They take their money and put it in the team"

No, Dave.

They take your money and put (some of) it in the team.

Some perspective. I grew up a few miles from the stadium in the late fifties-early sixties. I've been a Yankee fan all my life--saw my first game at the Stadium in 1959. But I've finally had enough of the Yankee Organization, and their arrogance, greed, and hypocrisy.

Although I continue to collect vintage (1903-1927) Yankee material, today I root for whomever are playing the Yanks.

This message has been edited by murderers_row on Apr 29, 2009 10:00 AM

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 29 2009, 9:30 AM 

Sorry Brock, no disrespect was meant. 18 is a young man, and even now at 42 I can still be sensitive about the Cornhuskers. You have lots of time to become jaded about big time sports like most of us. wink.gif I'm a Red Sox fan, but I tend not to poke or prod at the Yankee fans in this forum because most of them I consider friends...and I also understand as a fan what it's like to go from the mountaintop to the valley of despair.

howard
(Login howard385)

April 29 2009, 9:36 AM 

"Barry, may I ask what team you like?"

I don't see anything wrong w/that question. However, I found the "he's just a kid" exchange between two other posters unfortunate. Posts like those should be done via e-mail. I'm sure it wasn't intentional but it came off as very dismissive of Brock because he is young. It reminded me of when I was a child and adults would talk about me as if I was not there.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 29 2009, 9:55 AM 

" I'm a Red Sox fan, but I tend not to poke or prod at the Yankee fans..."

Dan,

You do know there was really no "Curse of the Bambino." The Sox just sucked for 86 years in a row.

happy.gif happy.gif

Jeff Lichtman
(Login calvindog)

April 29 2009, 10:03 AM 

I grew up a Dodgers fan (my dad was from Brooklyn) and hated the Yankees obviously -- but they were really unlikeable in the 70s (i.e. Reggie). I can't say that they are so easy to dislike now and even when they were winning from 1996--2006 they were still a good bunch. How can anyone hate Tino Martinez, Paul O'Neil and Jeter (yes, Jeter)? Even now they don't bother me and I admit to wanting to see them do well as I'm from New York. But I do find myself rooting hard for the Dodgers young players and Tampa Bay (I've followed them closely for about 4 years now). There's just something more interesting about watching a team put together with young players rather than high-paid mercenaries. That being said, the Yankees are hardly the only guilty ones in that department.

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 29 2009, 10:05 AM 

Howard, I agree and I already apologized. I meant absolutely no disrespect.

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 29 2009, 10:09 AM 

Hey Brock, I think Bretta's still a "kid." (Damn guy! Bragging about being in his 40's!)

It's all a matter of perspective.

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 10:14 AM 

I agree with Jeff that watching an underdog team like Tampa Bay succeed was a truly compelling story, even if it may only be for that one season. The Yankees are the neighborhood bully, pushing everybody around with their big bankroll. And if there is any justice in the world, it isn't really working.

Typically they sign older players past their prime to long term contracts that seldom pan out. It's true that Sabathia and Teixeira(sp) are still relatively young, but they have very long contracts that came at a huge price. They will likely have some good seasons but as their contracts near their end it is just as likely they will not be very productive.

I don't like the Yankees business model and I now find myself rooting against them. And I was a fan for many years.

Jason
(Login kehfee)

April 29 2009, 10:14 AM 

I can safely say I hate Derek Jeter. Mainly because TV cameras love showing close ups of him even when he isn't on the field.

Go Jays!

howard
(Login howard385)

April 29 2009, 10:22 AM 

Sorry Dan, I should have read the whole thread. As usual you prove to be a class act.

Dan Bretta
(Login slidekellyslide)
Network 54 Moderator

April 29 2009, 10:42 AM 

I'm not sure how anyone can hate Derek Jeter. I've tried and I just can't do it. wink.gif

Marty Ogelvie
(Login martyogelvie)

April 29 2009, 11:02 AM 

Life is too short to waste a good emotion like HATE on a baseball team.

A lot of folks seem to forget the Yankees were terrible during the Mattingly years.. perhaps they are on the verget of another.  Just like a lot of things, the Yankees have their ups and downs and have plenty of bad eras.. they are not the evil doers that so many claim they are..

marty

This message has been edited by martyogelvie on Apr 29, 2009 9:56 PM

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 11:24 AM 

I agree it is silly to hate a team; I merely find them uninteresting (although I do expect a lot of high scoring games at the new stadium).

Rob D.
(Login wolfie51sb)

April 29 2009, 11:36 AM 

I just wish every team would finish with an 81-81 record and be equally liked and admired by every fan. That's the way it should be, but I don't know. I suppose there's hope a law could be passed ...

howard
(Login howard385)

April 29 2009, 11:44 AM 

The Yanks weren't terrible during the Mattingly years. They were only bad for three or four years when Mattingly's back was deteriorating and the Yankees foolishly let Rickey Henderson get away (among other bad moves).

Greg Ecklund
(Login Gecklund311)

April 29 2009, 12:16 PM 

Energetically hating a team is fairly pointless, but there's nothing wrong with rooting against a team. The word "hate" when used in a message board context, and especially a sports context should rarely be taken literally. Saying "I hate the Yankees" on a board usually just means somebody roots against them, not that they have a small shrine in their house with burning candles where they place hexes on Derek Jeter.

Howard,
The reason I brought it up in the first place was that he asked me the same question in another thread where is knocked the Yankees a bit. Perhaps I could have phrased my above post a little better, but there is definitely a difference in perspective from 18 to even 5 or 10 years later so I understand what Dan was telling me.

Brock,
I was just curious why you keep asking the question...there's no need to apologize for asking it or for being spirited in your team's defense. There's certainly nothing wrong with being a Yankees fan either, but you have to realize that fans of most other teams will probably be indifferent to your guys at best. If I were a Yankee fan I'd be thrilled with all the money they spend, but as a fan of a team (Oakland) that usually gets players poached from them I'm looking at it from a different perspective.

Dave
(Login Chesbro41)

Dave A

April 29 2009, 2:07 PM 

If I've spent the money it's theirs to do with however they please. I don't consider money spent as being mine after the fact. Look at the Marlins owner... he pockets the Luxury Tax money he receives from the rest of the league. So there are 2 sides to that story.

Right or wrong you have to recognize that the Yankees are a historically successful franchise... and their fan base stems in large part from it... and that without the guys you collect, they wouldn't be who they are today. Kind of ironic? The guys on your cardboard are probably the main reason they are who they are (Steinbrenners aside)

I don't agree with the way they run their business most of the time either... but I don't fault the players for the front office... for that I stick with the team... good or bad. I had a lot of good years in the early 90's going to those games while I was at Fordham and they weren't winning squat.

If anything it's just become tougher because of the guys and contracts they have done. But what are you gonna do? Gotta stay loyal.

This message has been edited by Chesbro41 on Apr 29, 2009 2:13 PM

David Atkatz
(Login murderers_row)

Gotta stay loyal, Dave?

April 29 2009, 3:51 PM 

Why?

Let me tell ya a little story. About 10 years ago I was in Chicago on business. I'd never seen Wrigley Field, and thought I'd go take a look. The Cubs were on the road, but Wrigley was open--you could walk in, walk around, take it in... There was a T-ball team--4-6 year olds, playing in the outfield, and I even managed to step out onto the field. Friendly confines, indeed.

Fast forward to four years ago. My youngest son, Daniel (who, BTW was born on the site of Hilltop Park) is two, and I decide to take him to see Yankee Stadium. He's much too young to sit through a game, so we go when the Yankees are on the road. (Sound familiar?) The loading dock between Gate 2 and the bleachers is open, and (if you're taller that, say 5') you can just see a bit of the field from the street. I ask the Yankees' low-paid Security "guard" if my son in his stroller and I can just step into the dock area, so that he can see the green of the outfield in the distance. Guess what we were told.

I took my teenage son to the last game at Yankee Stadium, and the opening game at the money-sucking machine they call Yankee Stadium now. (I wanted him to be able to tell his grandchildren that he was there when Yankee Stadium closed, and I know that the new Stadium will mean something to him, so it was good that he was there when it opened.) I'll continue to go to the occasional game with the boys, but I'll be standing at the top of the seventh.

(I don't collect cardboard, BTW--I collect autographs and artifacts. Still have the ball Mantle signed for me outside the Stadium in 1967. (I've seen my share of losing Yankee teams, too. Remember Horace Clarke and Dick Schofield?) Part of the beauty of my collection, for me, is that that ball, and my Ruth single, and my '27 Yankees ball, etc. were signed by the players simply to make fans happy, and not to profit the players, the team, or Steiner Sports.)

Dave
(Login Chesbro41)

April 29 2009, 4:10 PM 

Thanks for sharing those stories. It's too bad you were denied looking over the field but let's be honest here... that low paid security guard was probably acting on his own and on a different day your experience may have been different. Not saying it's a fact but it's possible.

As for the money sucking machine... I pay $12 a seat for my bleacher tickets. Would I prefer to be in the leather recliners behind home? Certainly. But I enjoy the games every bit as much.

Your collection sounds fantastic. I don't remember Horace and Dick playing but I do know about those teams and have their cards.

I just think it's sad that you hate and root against a team you loved as a kid because of their front office. I've met a lot of their players over the years from my job and they have all been very nice... Jeter, Justice, O'Neil, Clemens and a bunch of others. All very cool and ready to sign stuff for nothing.

I'm just saying I root for the pinstripes... not the suits. I try not to pay attention to those guys.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 56 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement