Net 54 Vintage Baseball Card Forum
Hello to all visitors! Please visit the NEW Net54 board at www.Net54baseball.com You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  

Greg Ecklund
(Login Gecklund311)

Re: Have you ever bid to protect your cards?

April 29 2009, 8:30 PM 

Not ethical, but there's no way to stop it.

And as long as you're paying the bill what you do with your money is all your call.

Andrew
(Login 67standup)

April 29 2009, 8:37 PM 

Such an act would be blasphemy in this highly ethical hobby.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Jeff Lichtman
(Login calvindog)

April 29 2009, 8:43 PM 

Brian, where the hell have you been? I expected you to rear your ugly heel a few weeks back! Seriously, congrats on that one.

Steve Murray
(Login jacklitsch)

April 29 2009, 8:54 PM 

"What is the ethical issue, as long as you pay the bill if you happen to win it? Many collectors go after duplicates for trade bait."

I agree

Brian Weisner
(Login BRIANKW)

April 29 2009, 8:56 PM 

Hi Jeff,
I've been busier than a one armed paper hanger lately.... I've been traveling, raising kids, and changing my computer system at work, so cards have taken a back seat. I even skipped going to the Final Four for the first time since 2005 when the Heels last won.... (My Mom is still pissed at me for not taking her). Luckily I was at the Masters for a couple of days of relaxation.
I hope you and the family are well....

Talk to you soon. Brian

PS Quit bidding up the Red Hindu Cobb...

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 9:02 PM 

Hey Brian- hope you are well. Wondered why we haven't heard from you in a while.

Brian Weisner
(Login BRIANKW)

April 29 2009, 9:11 PM 

Hi Barry,
Have a Junior Mint.... They are very refreshing....After all; the Summer of George (the Hamptons) is right around the corner. Be well Brian

PS Prickly Pete is waiting for you....

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 9:13 PM 

I'm in the Hamptons right now...it's been cold this month but it's getting warmer. Have to pick me up some of those Hampton's tomatoes. happy.gif

Brian Weisner
(Login BRIANKW)

April 29 2009, 9:17 PM 

Mom would be proud..... It was 88 here on Saturday and in the low 80's ever sense.... I'm sending it your way. Have a good weekend.
Be well Brian

PS LA is loading fine here in NC.... Want me to place a few bids for you???

PS 2 watch out for shrinkage

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 29 2009, 9:24 PM 

I have my eye on Jack Kennedy's golf clubs...I'm thinking I may go as high as $10,000 on them. happy.gif

Brian Weisner
(Login BRIANKW)

April 29 2009, 9:32 PM 

I thought Jack gave you his old set before he took office???? You wouldn't be running up the price to secure your investment... would you? That O'Henry candy bar chick will pay anything for those clubs...In fact she'll walk around half topless for them... smiley Brian

Peter_Spaeth
(Login Peter_Spaeth)

indeed

April 29 2009, 11:17 PM 

"Along those same lines, I would bet that most "sold" cards in auctions are manipulated, unsold, shilled, or never get paid for, leaving us sold prices that are not valid."

Is THAT why we keep seeing such high prices in auction after auction in a down economy? happy.gif

Alan
(Login Jewish-collector)

April 30 2009, 8:14 AM 

Hey Brian - Welcome Back. How the hell was your sedar ?
Barry - Have you seen George Costanza & his girlfriend in the Hamptons ? What was she wearing ? wink.gif

peter ullman
(Login ullmandds)

April 30 2009, 8:19 AM 

back to the question at hand...I have done this once...years ago...for the same reason. I owned the same, scarce card...the price seemed way below market...so I bid on it as I'd have been happy to own another at such a low price...It's not the same as shill bidding in my opinion.

Ultimately...I did not win the card! In my opinion, this is no different than placing a bid on any card...in any auction situation that you are interested in...at the current price.

This message has been edited by ullmandds on Apr 30, 2009 8:20 AM

Tom Boblitt
(Premier Login autograf)

Barry.........

April 30 2009, 8:21 AM 

Clubs are fine, just stay away from Wallace Simpson's wedding cake...........

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 30 2009, 8:45 AM 

The real wedding cake, or the Entemann's?

joe d.
(Login bijoem)

April 30 2009, 8:47 AM 

I have thought about it - - but I have never done it.
i'm not sure if it really protects your card value.... rather it just makes you more heavily invested in a card that is decreasing in value.

That being said....
there are cards that I own multiples of.
but each time I buy one it is because I want another one (not to protect a value).... and actually I would prefer values going down on the card (so that I could spend less).

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 30 2009, 8:50 AM 

You can look at each lot as an individual transaction. You are free to bid on anything that seems to be undervalued. If you just happen to already own the same card, so what? Buy the second one as an investment.

Matt
(Login MSW1)

April 30 2009, 8:58 AM 

Barry - I'm not sure I understand your stance - above I thought you agreed that depending on your intent, it could be unethical to bid in such a circumstance (if your sole purpose is to avoid taking a loss on your other copy of that card). What you just said seems to mean carte blanche to bid regardless of intent

As I said above you can use that same logic to justify traditional shill bidding:

You are free to bid on anything that seems to be undervalued. If you just happen to be the seller of that card, so what?

My Trade/Sale Page

This message has been edited by MSW1 on Apr 30, 2009 9:00 AM

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)

April 30 2009, 9:16 AM 

Matt- this discussion is bordering on silly.

If you consign a card you are not eligible to bid, or to ask a friend to bid under any circumstances.

If you do not own a card and choose to bid on it, you do not need to explain why you are bidding. Nobody cares. If you win it you pay the bill. If it starts getting pricey you drop out. What else is there to say?

Too much analysis and too much paranoia here. And I am done on this thread. And no private emails please. Thank you.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Top of page | Bottom of page | Main Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement