<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

"It pays for itself."

November 26 2011 at 10:30 AM
Bart  (no login)

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]
(photo courtesy of Mr. John Frick - thanks John!)

Another interesting article in the paper today about the oil boom and its effects on western North Dakota: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us/north-dakota-oil-boom-creates-camps-of-men.html?_r=1&hp Do not expect to find a motel room within 150 miles of Williston, from what I read.

Yesterday I heard this report on the radio:http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/11/25/nd-debate-abolish-property-tax/ Lots happening out on the high plains.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Lunatic
(Premier Login MilkmanDan)

Oil field housing

November 26 2011, 11:08 AM 

the mobile home manufacturer here in Watertown is working overtime making appartment complexes based on the double-wide chassis. they have the finished units with 12 fficiency appartments in each 'double wide' lined up by the dozens on the edge of Watertown, hauling them North as weather permits. the mass of young males leaving to head to the oil fields has also created a HUGE demand for workers here in Watertown.

Respond to this message   
Alex406
(no login)

Re: Oil field housing

November 27 2011, 1:23 PM 

I have transported scores of 30 foot FEMA trailers to the area around Williston and Watertown. I lived in the Minot area for 5 years. There is nothing good to say about the oil boom, other then it is bringing money into the State. Remember, the land owners do not own the mineral or oil rights. They are owned by the oil companies. They tell the land owner what they will be doinbg to the land to get the oil, and if the land owner says no, that will go to the next parcel of land, drill down and then drill sideways until they get to the oil pocket they want. Knowing that, most land owners allow the oil company to do what they want. Yes, they are making a tremendous amount of money, but the land is the real loser. Hey, but we need the energy...

Respond to this message   
BJ_CT
(Login BJ_CT)

Somethin' for nuttin'

November 26 2011, 7:12 PM 

CA simply capped property taxes and now they're basically insolvent. In the long run, this will go nowhere good.

... you don't get something for nothing
You can't have freedom for free
- Rush

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login 2000RSV)

Re: Somethin' for nuttin'

November 27 2011, 11:01 AM 

Difference is that California passed the tax cap because the voting populous didn't want to pay anymore. ND is capping/eliminating the property tax because they no longer need the revenue. Big difference.

J

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement