Lurleen  (no login)

Good stuff on Troy's strategy

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Bart
(no login)

Re: Butt Lite VIII Winner On Long Riders Radio

August 21 2016, 10:23 AM 

+1 on the recommendation. It's a good listen and a gentle rejoinder (unintended, no doubt) to those who viewed the combo bonuses as too complicated or limiting, a response that I found a bit baffling.

More baffling was the number of riders, Troy included, who attempted to reach this bonus in Pioche, Nevada by means of some goat path called Boot Hill Cemetery Rd, or some such thing. The bonus itself:

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

37.93415 -114.446983

The bonus described the location as "off Comstock Rd, .25 mi of gravel past the other two cemeteries." When I scouted this bonus, I took Hwy 322 into Pioche, went left on Comstock Rd (a paved city street) past the other two cemeteries and then crossed a large unpaved parking area which had some trucks and other equipment on it - this was the ".25 mi of gravel." We tried to alert riders ahead of time if gravel was required, and for this bonus the gravel required was not really worth mentioning. And yet somehow, some riders managed to turn it into an epic adventure, courtesy a blind devotion to the wisdom of Garmin. Strange stuff.

As to why Pioche, my now-deceased biological father used to use Pioche as his base camp for supplies when he went elk hunting in the nearby mountains. He used to tell me stories about his adventures in Pioche and so I just had to go there and find a bonus in his memory. No doubt he would have been highly amused this.

Respond to this message   
MikeH
(no login)

Goat Path

September 12 2016, 2:34 PM 

I pulled into the approach for this "road." Overconfidence of being on a gsa started to creep into my head when I realized the road name wasn't the same as the rally book. Also it didn't seem like a road Bart would ride on in a hack. So I took the comfy trail through town, parked under some nice shade, and got the photo.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement