<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Lost rally flag...Rider #35

August 29 2016 at 2:57 PM
Joe P  (no login)

Lost my Butt-lite 1999 rally flag along NB HWY 61 between Frontenac and Red Wing on Sunday 8/28.
Would love to get it back.
If you or someone you know runs across it, let me know.

Thanks!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Lurleen
(no login)

Re: Lost rally flag...Rider #35

August 29 2016, 5:47 PM 

Ok, I have to ask.

What were you doing with a 1999 Butt Lite Rally flag in 2016?

You can't just leave us hanging. There must be a good story here.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

August 29 2016, 8:01 PM 

Not much of a story.
It was my Rally Flag from participating in the first Butt-lite. Rider 35
I always carry it with me as a souvenir as well as a reminder of my finish.
Its a good conversation starter too.
I was riding home on 61. When I got to Red Wing another rider got my attention and advised me that my side case was open.
He said he was following me from Frontenac trying to catch me.
I lost the flag, gloves, my favorite hat and some paperwork as well as breaking the case cover tether.
But the flag is what I'll miss. Everything else is consequential and easily replaced
I'm going back tomorrow to retrace my route with the hopes of spotting it.

Respond to this message   
Lurleen
(no login)

August 30 2016, 1:52 PM 

Well, that's a bummer. I hope you find it.

Here is some inspiration:

Lyle fell off of Eddie's bike somewhere along I-95 north between Daytona & Jacksonville. Eddie figured he went about 50 miles before discovering Lyle's escape. He turned around, retraced his route & found Lyle face down in the ditch covered in mud.

And then, in 2009, while collecting National Park stamps for a record setting National Park Tour (that, unfortunately, was never completed), Eddie left his passport book (one of the nice binder types) on the back seat of the Goldwing when he left the ranger office near Lake Powell, Utah. He went about 30 miles before he had that moment of panic realizing he hadn't returned the book to the top case. He turned around not knowing if he had forgotten it or dropped it. Over the course of 2 days he went back & forth on the road from the office trying to find the book. There is virtually no one out there besides the park rangers. He was extremely upset at the thought of losing all that work (luckily, he had made copies of most of the book the week before & had mailed them home) but he had covered a lot of ground during that week that would have to be repeated. On the 6th pass along the road, there was the book, right on the side of the road like an inverted V. covered in the dust Eddie had created on all those passes.

So, you might just find your flag. Weirder things have happened.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

Call off the search!

August 30 2016, 5:55 PM 

Unbelievably I found everything!
Took a ride down 61 to retrace my original route.
Thought I'd at least find a debris field because of all the paperwork I had lost.
Turned off 61 to 59 through Wabasha and spotted my hat in the middle of the road.
Made a quick U-turn and spotted a glove...then the flag...then the other glove.
What luck!
So I'm happy-happy.

Yes....I remember that story about Lyle...good inspiration for sure!

See ya on the road.
Maybe I'll do another Rally one of these days....Stranger things have been known to happen...!

Respond to this message   
Lurleen
(no login)

Re: Call off the search!

August 31 2016, 5:12 PM 

Awesome!!

Respond to this message   
Rev. K
(no login)

September 29 2016, 11:04 AM 

1999 was the first BL, which means that your numbered flag was hand airbrushed by yours truly. The logo was silkscreened, but I did all of the numbers since we didn't know how many entries there would be. Your welcome. wink.gif
-K

#176 Minister Of Procrastination

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

October 4 2016, 8:01 PM 

AHH. So thats what made it so special!
Well...thanks for taking such painstaking time to create such a masterpiece!
It truly is a prized possession. Along with all of the other swag I received in that rally: Mug...Shirt...Key chain. Fond memories of the Mother Cabrini Shrine...ugh!

Joe P

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement