PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Return to Kumul Development Forum  

Re: Media and a national identity

December 13 2006 at 1:46 PM
No score for this post
Mauswara 

Response to Media and a national identity

Emmanuel I am really grateful that the organizers of the Kumul Forum brought up the topic of National Identity and Nationalism.

I believe there are a lot of misconceptions of these terms and its usage. I am in the process of writing an article and proposing various institutions and processes that will cultivate and nurture a genuine sense of nationalism. My propositions, however, will not make any impact as I am just nobody (an ordinary concerned citizen) and my ideas might be easily disregarded. Hopefully, the propositions that you come up with in the seminar are taken into account with political resolve and committment by right thinking political leaders.

I am just an ordinary citizen putting out my ideas for all to judge and comment!

As affirmed by Prof. Fukuyama, experiences around the world e.g. in the Latin Americas and Asia proved that institutions are indispensable avenues of cultivating national consciousness and rightly so media is the appropriate channel of indoctrination which must be utilized to instill a sense of nationalism. I don't really believe in religion (I will explain in a latter commentary).

Anyways, it would be encouraging to see more debates on this issue and what other PNGans think how we should cultivate that sense of nationalism devoid in PNG since independence.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!