PAPUA NEW GUINEA DEVELOPMENTAL ISSUES
KUMUL DISCUSSION FORUM

Return to Kumul Development Forum  

Thankyou Countryside

August 10 2010 at 10:19 PM
No score for this post

Response to Inap Lo Kago Boi, Brukim Bush Tasol

Once again a beautiful piece of prose with a hard-hitting message; deadly accurate too. If bosses in the Western World spoke to their staff the way many ex-pats speak to their PNG workers, they'd be prosecuted and pay 10's of thousands in fines and compensation......and their workers are paid very well.

I am married to PNG and my sons are landowners: my greatest fear is that they will be forever the slaves of foreigners; when they should be the boss and the foreigners work for them. After all; it is their land and their resources. The landowners are given the "rough end of a pineapple" on every resource deal that is made on their behalf; they get virtually nothing, while the foreign company and the Govt (or individuals in the Govt) get all the money and reap all the benefits. The poor landowner is lucky if he gets a job out of it; being a cargo boy and paid peanuts.

We need 100 more lawyers like Annie Kajir; professionals with a heart for the people, who are willing to fight to protect the resources of the landowners. Without an education; without money; and without a "champion" to protect them: PNG landowners are "sitting ducks" for greedy and unscrupulous operators. Consistently being manipulated, exploited, and robbed.

What can they do?????

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

About this board - the Kumul Discussion Forum is administered and set up by PNGScape with the permission of the founder of the board and the Kumul Foundation pursuant to the Kumul Foundation's object of facilitating discussion and debate on issues of significance to Papua New Guinea's national development. The old Kumul board can be found at www.voy.com/1950/ Discussion must be conducted respectfully, and rationally, with the object being that the dissemination of ideas will lead to action that will contribute to PNG's ongoing development.

Remember, PNG's destiny is ours too!